Limited Edition Sets

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Limited Edition Sets

Post by jackattack » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 pm

I\'m a 1-2 set per year buyer myself, but my reaction was the exact opposite.

Since only one limited edition set came out at a time, it was easier to have everything in the limited edition lines by purchase those than to chase the multiple (and increasing) number of sets required to have what I wanted in the MM Dungeon and Cavern lines.

And by picking up limited edition sets, I increased the number of different settings for gameplay.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Shadaraman
Orc
Orc

Post by Shadaraman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:39 pm

brvheart wrote:

This is my issue with Limited Edition Sets. They require such a large initial outlay of funds that a lot of us 1-2 set a year people cannot afford them. If I buy one set and another is not available a year or two later I cannot add to it. My wife\'s issue is this: Does it add to what we already have? In many cases it is adding a new line and does not blend well with our existing sets. So we skipped the Limited Edition stuff even though I would like to have some of it.
Now on something I would like to see are Greek and Norse sets. These would add to my settings. If one redid the Realm of Ancients I would like to see if more Egyptian. That might make it a different enough set.

Remember that in general the limited edition sets don\'t sell through their entire run in a single order. RotA was released many years ago, and there will still be more available in the next restock. It seems like even buying one or two at a time it would be possible to get the LE sets.

brvheart
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by brvheart » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:45 pm

This is my issue with Limited Edition Sets. They require such a large initial outlay of funds that a lot of us 1-2 set a year people cannot afford them. If I buy one set and another is not available a year or two later I cannot add to it. My wife\'s issue is this: Does it add to what we already have? In many cases it is adding a new line and does not blend well with our existing sets. So we skipped the Limited Edition stuff even though I would like to have some of it.
Now on something I would like to see are Greek and Norse sets. These would add to my settings. If one redid the Realm of Ancients I would like to see if more Egyptian. That might make it a different enough set.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:31 am

Very good to hear. Part of the reason DF has such loyal supporters (in addition to the awesome product) is the character of its founders.

I hope to see lots of creative ideas about possible GameTile designs for profane realms and elder havens over the next couple-few years. (And I hope we don\'t overwhelm Stefan in the process.)

BTW, totally agree about Spider-Man. I wish they\'d take a cue from the pre-reboot 007 franchise and make it an episodic series of movies, switching actors and directors as needed. But I digress...
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:36 am

Limited editions are just what we say they are. No worries.

I really prefer as an artist not to just copy a piece done in resin into dwarvenite unless we really have to, as we did in these last 2 kickstarters...we did redo a few pieces, some with modifications that were needed for the process of metal molding...but we did that only because we knew everyone would be happy and there really wasn\'t all the time in the world to make another sculpture...so it came down to, would they want the same piece, but in unbreakable form? And I usually decided, yes....

With the luxury of time I would most always want to do a new sculpture...because it\'s art to me and I enjoy it and I always want to improve and do better...or explore different themes....

Realm of the Ancients, it\'s Limited Edition, but at some point we can do another type of Ancient Realm in a different design and color, there are so many possibilities, why would we even want to do the same one? That is for stupid producers who want to remake spider man like a zillian times because they have dull brains, no balls, and zero imagination....but i digress...

I\'m not hating on Spidey, I am a big fan, after all I grew up in the big apple:)

I think that any limited edition Sets we do will most likely be in Resin, although in situations like the Den of Sorrow\'s sometimes it is interesting and helpful to do one here and there even in a Kickstarter...
If it is niche and may need a boost in order to see the light of day...making it Limited helps us to sell a few more and so makes the risk of creating it less....risky...
don\'t hate Limited editions, it actually is what makes the creation of a small run of something more Niche possible...and so we must also be steadfast in keeping our word that it will be Limited otherwise collectors will cry foul and limited edition will henceforth mean nothing...

blinky
Orc
Orc

Post by blinky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:48 am

Limited editions, need to be limited otherwise you lose your integrity.
It should be qualified, so people know what they are getting.

The Chamber of Sorrows, has a limited edition paint job and set composition.
However, some of the pieces are available in different sets with different paint scheme.

I think with the cost of the molds and the fact that dwarvnite is a bulk medium, that these sculpts should not be limited editions. Perhaps just paint schemes and set composition.

When people are asking for a dwarvenite version of a limited set, IMHO don\'t think they expect an exact copy.
Just something that can fulfill a similar purpose and along the same idea. Much like the caverns.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:57 am

I think if DF said they were limited, they should stay limited.

I just imagine DF can make other items that will be as much in demand as their older stuff.

That said I would vastly prefer if dwarvenite had little to no limited stuff.

After all, if you get a new collector/user who can get older stuff, you sell a lot more.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

granpappy77
Orc
Orc

Post by granpappy77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:53 pm

jackattack wrote:

I think part of the reason the sets were made limited editions was that DF recognized that they were niche products. To minimize risk they committed to a minimum order -- which is fulfilled in installments, not all at once -- to satisfy what they considered to be very limited demand.

Excellent points. Also, some of the pieces had something very special about them, like RotA\'s removable door/intersections and mosaic intersection or DoE\'s jewel inlays on some of their wall pieces and the well of souls platform.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Belakor wrote:

jchunick wrote:
I don\'t get collecting inanimate objects and never using them.

You sound like my wife when she looks at all my unopened boxes and blisters...
haha! :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

I think part of the reason the sets were made limited editions was that DF recognized that they were niche products. To minimize risk they committed to a minimum order -- which is fulfilled in installments, not all at once -- to satisfy what they considered to be very limited demand.

Return to “Questions?”