Should I purchase some of the Kickstarter sets?

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re:Should I purchase some of the Kickstarter sets?

Post by biowizard » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 pm

I also have 10 or so basic room and room and passage sets which is more then enough for me (link). The Game Tiles Set has a slightly different sculpt (rounded stones piled up vs sculpted stones that more or less look like bricks) but I don't think the change is drastic enough that we would see a real difference between the atmosphere provided by both Sets.

Here are a few reasons I can think of for a veteran DF collector to invest in Game Tiles:
-Fullfill addiction (not a logical reason but valid for many of us nonetheless)
-Increase to "insane levels" the amount of classical pieces you have for very high versatility or MEGA dungeon crawls.
-The increased durability of the pieces could be appealing to people needing to move easily without special care their collection (or part of their collection) to friends or gaming club.
-Make sure to own each and every piece ever produced by DF for the collectionability factor.
-Obtain the unpainted version to be able to paint these in a fashionably different pattern (eldorado, slimmy dungeon, black and white, astral pink fairy... whatever) while not regretting too much your money if you actually ruin the pieces.

IMO, unless you satisfy one of those reasons, you should indeed go Hellscape II. I guess you money invested there will help support DF just as well as the kickstarter. The kickstarter helps building the fan base for DF, but you and I are obviously already fans!

Maimonides_vii
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Maimonides_vii » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm

pfworks, there's no shame in not buying a bunch of the sets if you don't need them. I understand the desire to help out DF, but you can still chip in $1, $10, or $25 to help out without spending money on sets you basically already have.

That being said, it's not a horrible idea to pick up some of the unpainted sets. Even though they'll be available on the store at a later date, the pricing is amazing, and this would allow you to easily paint, customize, and modify the basic set to look like whatever you want. Plus, as Purplesaber pointed out, they are extremely durable.

Purplesaber
Orc
Orc

Post by Purplesaber » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 pm

I've been watching the excitement and wondering the same thing. I love DF products but have pretty much maxed out my storage space on sets awhile back (30 sets or so from all the lines).

If I were starting as a new collector this seems like a terrific deal and entry. Since I already have a couple of R&P sets and a bunch of expansions I'm not sure I would find them needed. But that's probably not the main target of the kickstarter campaign (long-time existing collectors).

But man that clip of Stefan scooping the pieces willy nilly into a backpack...if there was anything that might get me to bite on a couple of sets it would be the convenience of not having to be so careful about storage and transportation.

Overall though -- big congrats to DF. What a success in such a short time! I will probably donate a small amount on kickstarter just to show my support and thanks for producing such an enjoyable line of products.

--David

pfworks
Ogre
Ogre

Should I purchase some of the Kickstarter sets?

Post by pfworks » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that the kickstarter is going well, and anything that gets DF more attention is great!

However, as someone that has so many of the basic room sets that they don't get all used, ever, I'm wondering if I should buy any? It looks like these are basically the room set pieces, redone in the new material and less expensive. If I'm going to be dropping cash, it's probably better for me to get some Hellscape 2 sets.

Or am I missing something?

Return to “Questions?”