KS3 Painting Guide Errors?

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Re: KS3 Painting Guide Errors?

Post by FelixDraconis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:29 pm

LordDust wrote:A couple thoughts about mixing colors:

One thing I like about Vallejo is the dropper top design they have, they are pretty consistent for the amount that comes out so you can jot down notes on the amount you use. You can get dropper bottles to pour other paints into if you like. I have not done this yet (but I do intend to do so with my non-dropper paints), so I can't recommend a specific brand of bottle. This makes it much easier to replicate colors later.

The other option is to use an empty and clean paint pot or bottle to mix into to make a bottle of your new color to save for future use. This has a limited volume, but a skilled enough guesstimate will get you enough for several uses.
I've been considering a similar thing! Now that vaping is popular, I've noticed people buy these glass dropper bottles. I bet you'd have to wash them out thoroughly, but I was going to ask people for empty vaping 'juice' bottles and see how they work.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Kryzsko wrote:Also it is interesting that you think the bricks on the PDF look "bright orange". I my monitor they look brick red prior to the cardboard dry brush and then more of a muted dusty red after. They never look orange to me, but I know that every monitor is different.
I realize that I'm comparing the ones in the guide with the final 'show' pieces at the end. The more I think about it the more I figure the painting is fundamentally different. As people have mentioned I'm pretty sure there's a step where you add orange.

Look at step 8 of the mosaic and the two sidewalk pieces on the same page (ST-005 & ST-013). I can see the mosaic is just dry brush but the sidewalk pieces are a different color.

For a while I figured I was just doing something wrong. Doesn't bother me at all if I wasn't expected to get that look. :D

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:25 pm

A couple thoughts about mixing colors:

One thing I like about Vallejo is the dropper top design they have, they are pretty consistent for the amount that comes out so you can jot down notes on the amount you use. You can get dropper bottles to pour other paints into if you like. I have not done this yet (but I do intend to do so with my non-dropper paints), so I can't recommend a specific brand of bottle. This makes it much easier to replicate colors later.

The other option is to use an empty and clean paint pot or bottle to mix into to make a bottle of your new color to save for future use. This has a limited volume, but a skilled enough guesstimate will get you enough for several uses.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Ah! I'll share another thing I learned while doing these. Place them all flat out next to each other when doing color. This way you'll brush them more consistently across all the different pieces.

It also prompts you to align them facing the same direction. Assuming they have directionality.

The first coat probably should still be done individually, as you need to get the edges.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Okay! Here's some updated attempts.

This is with a Gold Oxide from Jo Sonja. It's the closest thing to terra-cotta I can find. I applied the orange in patches to add a little extra inconsistency. There's an orange/red hyena for comparison.
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg (521.83 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
This is after a very, very, very light dry brush with Stone Edge Dry Brush. I'm not used to the heavy real hair Pokorny brushes. Frankly they're just too good and the pigment in the Pokorny paints is far better than what I used to work with. A very tiny amount goes a very long way.
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg (487.7 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
This is as far as I'm going to go now. The dry brush admittedly might be a little too light/strong even so. I applied it too heavily on the first piece. Live and learn. Easily fixable, though.

As before, photos with an ott lamp to bring out the color.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:39 pm

I also don't think the painting guides are 'wrong' ... this is very much the EXACT way that Stefan and team painted the KS3 pieces before there ever was new paint color. That definitely comes later. He tries to match the final color that he mixed to. Similar things will always happen as the paint colors are not designed prior to painting. Colors are mixed and used and them he generates paints that compliment their final colors. The paints don't make money and they almost didn't make new colors this last year because the previous ones have been going so slow. This is why painting can be considered an art by some.... it is almost never as easy as 1..2..3..

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi guys,

The painting guide is intended to be a guide, not an infallible instruction manual. We created it to help those who wanted guidance and to help give mixing instructions for the incredibly delayed new colors.

We strongly encourage you to use your own judgment and creativity when painting. It's is your city, make it your own!

Thanks for understanding.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Also it is interesting that you think the bricks on the PDF look "bright orange". I my monitor they look brick red prior to the cardboard dry brush and then more of a muted dusty red after. They never look orange to me, but I know that every monitor is different.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Also if you want your bricks to look a little more orange I would add a drop or two of lava orange to the cardboard dry brush. My understanding is that all of the prototypes were painted with mixes of the current Pokorny paints, so it is definitely possible to make all those colors.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:56 pm

To be clear in the PDF the first step should have been to do a heavy dry brush of base gray.