Seeking advice regarding white paint

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Re: Seeking advice regarding white paint

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I have no garage space to do any airbrushing in. And just outdoors in the breezy air doesn't seem wise either. I mother used to airbrush some for advertising work and talked about colored snot, etc. Even with acrylic paint, that is not a good sign. I'm not sure how much I trust myself to build a cheap spray booth. At some point I'll look into it again and reconsider.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:20 pm

I just use a small Axtek air compressors from Tester the company that makes model paints. It works great and it's not too noisy, it just makes a slight rumbling sound. I just spray into a cardboard box, but if you wanted better system you can get a small hood system on Amazon for about $90 called the Master Airbrush® Brand Portable Hobby Airbrush Spray Booth. I use a Krome airbrush from Badger. I use it for more that base coating and priming. The Krome comes with a fine and extra fine needle and I use it for every step of painting DF tiles except the last stone edge or cavern dry brush. The last dry brush is the only step I do by hand. I even use it for painting miniature. Works good for base coating and shading and for larger models.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:05 pm

I am sure there are some folks who will argue "no don't do it you're gonna die!!" but serious ventilation is really only needed if you're using paints with hazardous volatile compounds like enamels & solvents.

Airbrushing water based acrylics is not that hazardous, if you have a garage and can paint in there by an open door (maybe a small fan for air circulation) honestly you are fine. Pokorny paints are water based acrylics, and do OK in most airbrushes unthinned.

Whenever you're running cleaner through it, definitely spray that crap through it pointed outdoors. Even with that, we're not talking occupational industrial level exposure for most of us here.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:38 am

I really wish I could afford the cost and space for an airbrush setup. I would require a very good hood exhaust system, I'm not sure if I trust myself to build a good one. And I'd really prefer a tank style compressor, that is very quiet. That adds up to a fair amount of money. But for base coating and/or priming large things it would be awesome.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:24 am

Painting KSI (I did back it) is what made me get an airbrush. It sped up the process SO much. I had never used an airbrush before, and I learned so much painting my dungeon tiles, and then all the cavern tiles helped even more.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks. I probably will grab a white too. The paints are a great deal, especially with the sale. This will mean I have one of every color (I'm getting a second gray with this order though).

I only have gotten unpainted dwarvenite. It takes soooooo long to paint, especially those brown bricks in dungeon tiles. I am maybe 1/4 of the way through my 5 sets from KS1. Then there are the 5 cavern sets plus add-ons. Then the village CBS to do. I calculate it is easily over 150 hours left to complete this huge pile of stuff. I really shouldn't have put off painting KS1 so long. I only started playing with Dwarven Forge in my D&D game this last December though. Then there are all the Reaper figures that need painting too. Must. Get. Faster.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:16 am

I use white a fair bit. What I use it for most is base coating if I want a bright color. For example if I want to paint bright red mushroom tops. The white layer makes the red come out brighter. Also good if you want to make a bright flame or glowing effect. Also nice to base coat if you plan to do lava painting. I base coasted all my lava cavern pieces with white to get an overal hotter look. You can't get that with an off white as easily. I think a bright white is an essential color.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:48 am

If you ever intent to paint some of their Ice Caverns with the recommended dry brush paint job, it's worth spending the 6 bucks on sale for a bottle of white. I couldn't get a good consistency with any of the reaper or generic acrylics for it, Pokorny paints are already mixed perfectly for drybrushing onto Dwarvenite.

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:52 am

When I first started painting my KS1 tiles, I bout some Vallejo Game Color Inks. I wanted to do an ice themed set so I used the blue ink with some white hobby paint I bought at a nearby shop. It worked out pretty well.

I say get yourself some white, regardless of what brand. It's such a base color and can be mixed to make various shades even if you don't own the color out right. That's one reason why I decided to take advantage of the Pokorny paint sale that's about the end. Decided it was a good time to buy them all at one time. Of course, I'll be finished with my CBS pieces by the time they arrive. It's a good thing I still have plenty of KS1 and KS2 tiles left to paint!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:02 am

The only two Pokorny paints I'm not gonna have is the Bubble Blue and White. I'm glad I got black before but not sure I need white. I guess the question is; Do you mix paints?

I mixed a lot of sludge to do my sewers, the only real mixing I have ever done.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria