Monster sets or Secondary KS themes

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Monster sets or Secondary KS themes

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:20 am
Rabbit, how do you KNOW Stefan is planning a figures KS???
What nefarious inside source have you? A rabbit in the DwF kitchen??

Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, xcept KS5
Zaltars pet rabbit Nibbler is one of my informants but I think I found out about it because Stefan announced it in the Kickstarter V comments

"Stefan Pokorny, Zaltar of Valoria on August 24

Elye and I will be working on the long version of Valoria and my world of Mythras soon, and we have some exciting news about it as well....
Miniatures: oh they are coming in 2018, It will be small, won't impact on anything DF, it will center mostly on townsfolk, personalities of Valoria! maybe some furnishings, roofs, new things for the City, Taverns...the townsfolks will all have backstories! It will be ITS OWN KICKSTARTER..."

Going to have to send the bunnies over to see Nibbler and get him to start earning his carrots.........
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:20 am

Rabbit, how do you KNOW Stefan is planning a figures KS???
What nefarious inside source have you? A rabbit in the DwF kitchen??

Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, xcept KS5
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:00 am

as a wargamer I have found the secondary sets less appealing than the main theme in the last 3 KSers.

Went big in CBS then even bigger in Castles (did you know I like castles?)
Did not get any sewers in KS3 and so far have not regretted that decision.

I did got for a complete set of mountains in KS4 as I could see using them and then got another Erinthor Mountain set at retail once I saw how great they looked.

Surprisingly - no burrows for me in KSV - they look great but like the sewers they don't lend themselves to war gamming. Having said that some Aliens v Predators v Marines skirmish action would be very effective in a Sci-Fi burrows variation.

Future secondary themes? most have been mentioned by Berny :) ports, cathedrals (big buildings), moats though these are sort of covered with water caverns and terrain trays but I'd still love to see a dedicated moat with curved pieces to around both 6" and 4" towers - should be able to double up as a mountains compatible river.

What I would love to see is Ruins and made this point during KS4 viewtopic.php?f=47&t=7790
I think they make a perfect secondary theme, ruins are timeless, exist everywhere and are perfect for both RPG and war gamming.

One last thing - I know Stefan is planning a minis KS, I'd love to see a whole market setup - stalls, merchants, customers, thieves beggars etc with a lot of stalls (burgers, hog roast, brass, cloth, weapons, silks, jewellery, veg, meat, ..... think Ankh-Morpork, but with out the smell.....unless you provide your own ......
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:43 pm

LordDust wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:43 pm
I would heartily second an interest in bernyleung's "parks and gardens" and "ports". I would also particularly like it is the parks and gardens portion were done more in a city builder style so that they could be used in creating hanging gardens or tiered cemeteries as part of a city. On ports I would add that both docks and piers could be included. They offer more options for how to use them than the other sets imo. They can be npcs (tribes or even city states of alien beings, guides, just more flavor in especially cosmopolitan cities, and more), monstrous hordes, small group encounters, etc. Imps and insect creatures are cool, but they don't have as much versatility in my opinion.
DOCKS! yes. Second the motio.
Hanging gardens? Neat accessory!

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:42 pm

I went big on sewers, but just big enough to use WITH KS I, II or CBS and Castles. I never planned a sewers-only adventure. How would the PC just start there??

I will go big on Burrow b/c they CAN be their own adventure, and they could conceivably end up supporting Open Terrain, a Castle and Dungeons or caverns all at once, in the same scene.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:43 pm

I would heartily second an interest in bernyleung's "parks and gardens" and "ports". I would also particularly like it is the parks and gardens portion were done more in a city builder style so that they could be used in creating hanging gardens or tiered cemeteries as part of a city. On ports I would add that both docks and piers could be included. They offer more options for how to use them than the other sets imo. They can be npcs (tribes or even city states of alien beings, guides, just more flavor in especially cosmopolitan cities, and more), monstrous hordes, small group encounters, etc. Imps and insect creatures are cool, but they don't have as much versatility in my opinion.

EDIT: I didn't realize I had made a mistake before publishing this one. An edit made the last bit a little nonsensical. I was meaning to state that I found the groups like Lizard men and Rat men to be more versatile.
Last edited by LordDust on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 am

Ports: could include docks, canals/moats, warehouses, and shanties.

Cathedrals: could include double/quadruple/sextuple high walls, sloped roofs, clerestory windows, bell towers, rosette windows, buttresses with piers, statuary

Parks and Gardens: could include hedges, fences, gates, flowerbeds, memorial stones, mausolea, fountains, bowls, rises

Hordes and hordes upon hordes of commoner miniatures

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Monster sets or Secondary KS themes

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:07 am

While KS1 and KS2 only had minor sets such as Chamber of Sorrows, Water and Lava tiles and Ice Caverns. KS3,4 & 5 all had Monster sets or secondary KS themes such as Sewers, Mountains and Burrows.

I went big and got more than two sets of Sewers, Mountains and will perhaps go big on Burrows also. Heck Mountains are more useful to my personal games than the main theme in KS4.

So I started to wonder.

What are your favorite Monster sets or secondary KS themes?

Did you go bigger on any of them that the main KS theme?

and

Can you think of Monster sets or secondary KS themes for future KS that you would love to see? Sets that you do not think could be the main theme of a KS but would really like monster sized sets of.