KS5 passage insired ideas for non dungeon settings

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS5 passage insired ideas for non dungeon settings

Post by Oldent » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:38 pm

I like the tab idea. It will work well on an edge. A thin textured base works best for trees. I have used tin caps for bases for years. A tin cap is obsolete and difficult to find because nail guns have replaced hammers for the most part in construction. No one is going to take the time to use them. It is not cost effective.

They look best with a textured surface. I have more than 200 trees based this way.

If you texture the tabs you can use them both on the edge and the top of tiles.The new tile tabs are going to be plastic. I suggested both clear and textured.

The clear tab is on the right.

The wall can be any shape so long as there is a square edge the dept of a tile along the bottom. So caverns should not be a problem. The texture or thickness of the tab will not be a problem.

The corners of the tabs should be cut at 45% so that they fit at right angles.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS5 passage insired ideas for non dungeon settings

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:37 am

I will reserve judgment on the tabs until I have them in my hands. Not a huge fan of them right now, but we'll see.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

KS5 passage insired ideas for non dungeon settings

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 am

So I was looking at the KS5 passages and thinking about using them for passages, rooms and perhaps mazes and I started to wonder if you could do something similar for caverns or other settings. Now for dungeons the fact that the KS5 passages are straight vertical works but that would be ugly in a cavern but if you came up straight just the height of the floor then you could come out and do different wall shapes and such. I am not sure if DF would gain anything in function from this but it is a interesting idea for doing odd cavern walls that would be more stable than free standing walls.

So the above thought about stability got me thinking about small trees, obelisks, totem poles and other accessories that are 4 inches or more high. A column has to have a large base to be stable in game play but if a item needs to be tall but not have a wide base you could use a plastic tab base on the bottom of it like a passage wall come up straight with a 1"x1" square to the height of the floor/ground tiles. Now you could have the small trees, obelisk or totem pole permanently attached to the plastic tabbed 1"x1" square or you could use a metal pin to connect the small trees, obelisk or totem pole to the base. Having not yet gotten any KS5 passages yet I do not know if any of this the best way to add stability for 4" tall accessories without wide bases but it is a idea for thought.