Realm of the Ancients in Dwarvenite?

What style would you want a Dwarvenite version of RotA to be made in?

City Builder System
21%
Dungeon style like KS1 & KS5
79%

Total votes: 33

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Realm of the Ancients in Dwarvenite?

Post by dice4hire » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:24 pm

I think realm of the ancients could be pretty easy for CBS, one floor, and about four different wall pieces. Maybe some accessories. butthe five pieces above would be enough.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:32 pm

I think they should make everyone happy. Build a RotA-like set (or two or three) as dungeons and a romanesque add-on for city builder. Add sets of appropriate decor suitable for both. Perhaps they should all be part of Dwarven Forge's first "Ancient Civilizations Kickstarter."

Then do others kickstarters for Mayan/Aztec and/or Egyptian and/or Babylonian and/or Chinese and/or...

Just thinkin out loud.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Not only is RoTA certainly Dungeon terrain, but I do not think they should make it in Dwarvenite. If you have ever held some of the resin RoTA pieces in your hand and gazed lovingly at them all set up on your table, you know they are way too beautiful to ever be correctly recast in Dwarvenite. Those sets - more than any other sets - are truly beautiful works of art (and yes, I think all the resin sets could be called so, but RoTA 1& 2 even more so!)
Last edited by Harneloot on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 am

Oldent wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:07 am
kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 pm
Riley wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:37 pm
I think the CBS system should be phased out in favor of metal trays and magnetic game tiles.

So much more flexible.
IMO unless you have 4x4 4x6 4x8 4x10 4x12 6x6 6x8 6x10 6x12 8x8 8x10 8x12 10x10 10x12 12x12 metal trays, CBS is more flexible and I am not really even a big fan of CBS.
I do not like CBS and do not have any. If it sells I have no problem with it.
kodiakbear pointed out different sized magnetic trays would be needed to make the 2 by 2 style as stackable as CBS. I do not care the post are too ugly for me to buy. The bowties times ten :cry:
Sure CBS is more stackable but at the same time, it is much harder to make interiors that are functional and look good. If you use the double post you end up with a lot of weird looking wall pieces sticking out and the double post don't line up well for interiors. It is difficult to make small rooms and we don't even have a way to make 4x6" in the Tudor style. Also, there is no way to make curved walls. It is very difficult to make a large mansion interior and like Oldent said CBS looks like ugly on the inside.

It would help if there were double posts without the middle v slot but only a little. The Tudor advanced builder helps a little but the whole system is too fiddly and time-consuming to set up.

I would not want RotA in the CBS.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:07 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 pm
Riley wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:37 pm
I think the CBS system should be phased out in favor of metal trays and magnetic game tiles.

So much more flexible.
IMO unless you have 4x4 4x6 4x8 4x10 4x12 6x6 6x8 6x10 6x12 8x8 8x10 8x12 10x10 10x12 12x12 metal trays, CBS is more flexible and I am not really even a big fan of CBS.
I do not like CBS and do not have any. If it sells I have no problem with it.
kodiakbear pointed out different sized magnetic trays would be needed to make the 2 by 2 style as stackable as CBS. I do not care the post are too ugly for me to buy. The bowties times ten :cry:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 am

We would like a RotA in Dwarvenite to be CBS as that is what we use most.

Love the flexibility of CBS as pointed out changing walls is so easy but posts hurt our paws :(

Adding floors is so easy no need for terrain trays unless you want a large room with no internal posts. Then we use Castle roof platforms.

Would be very interested in seeing if a magnetic post system is plausible. But we suspect not as their may not be magnets strong enough especially for double posts which really tighten up big building.

Crossing all 4 paws for some CBS additions in KSVII
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:26 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:10 am
I wish DF would put out a new city set in the KS5 style. I like what we have and it makes great exteriors but it is kind of a pain to make great interiors. KS3 looks great for exterior but it is so time consuming to build, and difficult to make big detailed interior builds.

I would like to see sets like the old resin sets but with the walls with floor tabs like KS5 passageways so you could make hallways and closets.
Pesonally I would settle for a Advanced Builder Set in Tudor, a couple of free standing Tudor L shape walls and a couple of free standing Tudor doorways. With that I could make hallways and all sorts of closets/small rooms.

I understand your wish for something like the old Resin Medieval Building Sets but I do not think DF has an intrest in going back.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:10 am

I wish DF would put out a new city set in the KS5 style. I like what we have and it makes great exteriors but it is kind of a pain to make great interiors. KS3 looks great for exterior but it is so time consuming to build, and difficult to make big detailed interior builds.

I would like to see sets like the old resin sets but with the walls with floor tabs like KS5 passageways so you could make hallways and closets.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:40 am

CBS is fine IMO, but ROTA is definitely dungeon terrain for me. If I want to mix it into CBS, I'll figure that out at the time. I would like to see CBS expanded. I would think they can make a handful of improvements based on feedback without killing compatibility for the line. But the answer to the main question, ROTA as dungeon or city, is definitely as dungeon for me.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 pm

I see nothing wrong with the CBS system personally, and like it more as I learned how to store it. Pro tip, store it as floors with posts and walls included of 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 sizes (with lots of double posts) It makes building a lot easier. Switching out the wrong walls is fast, putting in and taking out posts is very very tedious.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria