KS7 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS7 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Rhizom wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 am
I hope there will not be too many paint schemes for KS7. I want my terrain to be versatile.
I am hoping that DF will do more trees and tiles that are made to look very close to Dreadhallow and then offers them in a optional early to mid autumn paint scheme so we can mix the optional autumn in with the new and old trees. I am hoping they do leafless trees and more spartan tiles and offer them in a frozen paint scheme to work well with the scheme from Ice catacomb.

While I also want my terrain to be versatile if DF does small changes to the paint schemes they can add variety but still make most of it all work together.

These tree molds are likely expensive and I want to see DF get the most out of it all.

Mushu_Green
Orc
Orc

Post by Mushu_Green » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm

being able to build a complex city of docks, pier and footbridges would be very nice

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:22 pm

I like the idea of swamps. I would really like a Barrow Downs style encounter.The Old Man Willow is one of my favorites. Balin's stairs and the Bridge are obvious.

For CBS
A thieves guild smuggler's warehouse
a barn
a Inn
a magic shop a market square
a farm
tax collector's or toll house
River and moat
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

^ Can this be added in the PM? :lol:

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Mushu_Green wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am
Some inspiration for swamps :

Classic
That is an inspiring picture for swap terrain.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:00 pm

William wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 am
When it comes to KS's, I prefer sets of tiles over set story lines. I know a lot of us like the encounters, I don't really.
I am not a fan boy of the encounter system for DF KSs but as well as KS5 and 6 did, I do not think we can expect KS7 to be anything but encounters, plus encounters do get DF to produce unique bling peices that seam to be quite popular.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Mushu_Green wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 pm
Is clear dwarvenite a thing ? would be interesting to see the scatter pieces in one block of clear dwarvernite and then paint the sculpts on it. It would be less fragile than tiny molds glued on thin plastic.

I see the ice cavern but they come out at too white and not completely translucent
The fire accessories ,wall of force, and Ice are translucent if you pick unpainted.

Mushu_Green
Orc
Orc

Post by Mushu_Green » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Is clear dwarvenite a thing ? would be interesting to see the scatter pieces in one block of clear dwarvernite and then paint the sculpts on it. It would be less fragile than tiny molds glued on thin plastic.

I see the ice cavern but they come out at too white and not completely translucent

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Mushu_Green wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:31 pm

What do you think? should i send this to DF ? :)
Could not hurt.

Nice ideas.

I think clear plastic is underutilized.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:56 pm

For an series of outdoor settings,one could craft a series of small locations that reflect the essence of each environment.

Swamps are an easy and apparently desired terrain. They provide the option of water transitiions, edge pieces and open water in a variety of styles to support. Small structures with a rustic or ruined look would fit in nicely, as would special locations (aka Spirit Tree) as a centerpiece.

A more rustic or typical woodland that creates a ritual site with stones and other items in a circular pattern (a crude version of stonehenge type setting).

A Burial mound. That could be a two level setting, with a series of larger tiles making the surrounding earth and the caps to cover the internal chamber. That internal chamber could also find use in Dungeons or Caverns or even Castles if you build in suitable flexibility. The sloped grassy sides of the chamber could also act as a sloped hill to span between the ground cover and something on stilts, instead of a rocky escarpment. The entrance could also be used for a normal cave or dungeon entrance as well. Lots of flexibility.

A series of stream options, perhaps just an expansion on the edge tiles, but with more of them being larger in size. Could also make a multipart canoe to go along with the rowboat. Something that is only 1 figure wide and perhaps only 4 or 6 inches long.

A special Hot Springs tile that has roiling water bubbling over the edge of a stone circle. If the opening is large enough it could be an underwater entrance. Related to that would be waterfall options. Perhaps a double height waterfall cliff combo that would be more dramatic, and that you could have opening behind at various elevations.

For outdoor buildings, perhaps a more rustic wayside tavern or trading post type setting. Same basic concept as CBS, but with log cabin style walls. Have free standing fence options or animal pens. Wooden towers and outbuildings. Instead of the Stone Watch tower, wooden towers with ladders. Wooden walls could be used with a CBS system to create a simple wooden fort. Would be very modular and expandable. The basic Fort is 12" by !2" or 3x3 CBS type tiles. Has a 2 or 3 story tower build in the center tile and a special gate wall that reflects the current styles. (I have tried to build a "Tudor fort" and it really kind of loses something in the translation.)

Those are just a few quick thoughts on possible future offerings.