KS7 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS7 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion

Post by William » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 am

I'm good with switching the season and any other changes. I'm married to Wendy and nothing else. ;)

When it comes to KS's, I prefer sets of tiles over set story lines. I know a lot of us like the encounters, I don't really. Although the DDD videos have been awesome. The encounters end up with so many weird sets that I wonder if there could be better another way to sell product.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:22 am

William wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:54 am
How many encounters was that?
I think you have 11 large/long encounters so far, (due to the running and river riding). Sounds great, a little more close to civilization than I was thinking, but that gets us more of the CBS stuff that people have been wishing for.

William wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:54 am
Oh, also it's going to start snowing before we make the entire journey. ;)

EDIT - A stroll into a swamp too, because I want some Cyprus trees in and on the bank of a waterway. ;)
How about they wake up in the snowy forest and as they head down hill they move back in to fall and harvest time at the farm. Then we can get little baskets of apples and sacks of root vegatbles made in DWARVENITE.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:54 am

A story that starts where KS6 left us, in the forest. But the hag has slipped us into a long sleep and it is now fall. We take off and head down the foot hills along a creek bank to a small little farm/orchard and ranch on the edge of a tiny village. After taking a break in the farmer's barn we discover a canoe and a raft and continue down the now raging river as some larger boulders and swirling rapids force us to the rivers edge before we go over the face of a large waterfall. After getting to the bank we are attacked by a beast of nature and in the midst of battle we decide to flee, but in our haste we head towards wide gorge blocking our escape. When we reach the precipice of the cut and notice the gorge is a deep slash of basalt columns cut deep into the ground for a great distance. The columns spill down to the bottom of a gorge and flow across the valley floor to the other side and back up again. The beast looses interest as we work our way down the basalt cliff face and we seem to be safe once again. Nearing the bottom of the gorge, we notice the whole area gorge floor is covered in giant human sized basalt columns at various heights. We find it very treacherous to traverse and as we struggle to move to the end of the gorge we are attacked from above by a large group of beastmen who hurl stones and boulders down on us. Once we get past those buggers, we see the basalt gorge has an opening at the end we are heading towards. Finally getting past the basalt floor we come over a small rise to see a beautiful meadow encircled by a sparse aspen forest. Looking around the meadow we notice a pond on the far side. As we hike over to camp next to the pond on the far side, we are immediately set upon by a Roc that swoops down in attack position. Being in an open field of grass, we all scatter different directions for defense. The Roc heads for the largest member of our party and...

How many encounters was that? I still want to get to a city's edge and possibly go by a keep on the way. Oh, also it's going to start snowing before we make the entire journey. ;)

EDIT - A stroll into a swamp too, because I want some Cyprus trees in and on the bank of a waterway. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:40 am

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:12 am
Do the encounters need to be so connected? I liked the ideas during the campaign of areas in and around Valoria, tied together by story and locale, rather than railroad tracks. Portals can work or course, but that would be a lot of portals even one per set would be 15. They could vary, but still a lot of pieces.
It could just be one sculpt used 14 times or if say every three encounters were physically next to each other then only four would be needed to jump to the next set of encounters and if wanted they could be different sculpts so then a DM would have four different stones to make a druid circle. I personally do not care if the encounters are linked or physically together or apart but if DF planes to do a module like KS5 and 6 I would expect them to want them to be linked in someway either all physically together (harder to do above ground) or by magic. I would use the different environments from KS7 in my game as all over the lands and seasons of my game world but for the purpose of a encounter based KS I would expect DF to use some standard RPG railroad tracks, and portals work better than saying all these environments/seasons are right next to each other.

It is of course up to DF if they want summer and winter trees. I am just spit balling ideas.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:12 am

Do the encounters need to be so connected? I liked the ideas during the campaign of areas in and around Valoria, tied together by story and locale, rather than railroad tracks. Portals can work or course, but that would be a lot of portals even one per set would be 15. They could vary, but still a lot of pieces.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:47 am

So, if KS7 is going to be a Forces of Nature kind of campaign and if it is going to have encounters the question is how do you tie a diverse group of environments together. It was easy in KS6 because we are all use to adventures where one cavern is wet and the next is hot and the next is frozen. But outdoors in wilderness it is not as easy to change environments but keep an encounter-based adventure on the tracks. The best idea I have right now is to use magic stones like how the Misty Gateways were used. I figure if the KS7 gateways looked like druid stones (a cross between Stonehenge and the stones from the movie Brave) the adventurers could move from one encounter environment to another or perhaps after a few encounters the party would find a gateway stone or circle of stones helping to move them to the next leg of their adventure. Many of us are likely hoping DF will do more trees like Dreadhallow and an expansion makes sense plus a repaint of the new trees in autumn colors could be done as an optional paint scheme add-on. One of the encounters or set of encounters could have dead/winter trees and some frozen ground and embankment tiles. Besides bitter cold and all that fun these new cold out door tiles would work great with the Ice catacomb tiles (an ice cave is great but being able to have tiles that work with them and get you outside is even better). After all that cold how about a hot swamp with swamp trees, swamp islands, swamp shore line tiles, more stumps and dark dead water for creatures to pull you under. So far, we have regular, cold dead and hot swamp forest but we need more than just trees and water options so what other wilderness environments are needed? Well any of these could have a house in them to add to the city builder options, an elven home in the trees, a log cabin in the cold or a hut in the swamp. One environment that many of us have asked for is Basalt Columns I think for this one we really need a cool idea for a monster other wise they are just ground tiles. So, what cool way would you use Basalt Columns? Now I love my mountain tiles, and I want more but just like the columns we need a cool encounter for those mountain tiles to get used. I figure a flying creature that is trying to knock you off that mountain path would be great plus higher stilts and taller mountain tiles would be a great addition to elevation. Now in KS5 burrows did not do as well as hoped but if they sell well from the web store, KS7 would be a great opportunity to do a small to mid-sized expansion perhaps some 45 passage turns, wye passages, larger rooms and more floor insert options. Heck maybe we can get some surface tiles with floor insert options that we can use them in burrows and so we can use those borrow eggs and spikes on the surface.

So above are some ideas but since DF like to have something as a sub theme what ideas do you have for that?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:58 am

I am sure their list of ideas was pages longer than what was sculpted which is far more than we ended up seeing.

It is a good idea to share ideas.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:28 am

ForestZ wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 am
This thread looks remarkably familiar.... ;P
If you look back at last years KS6 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion it is wild how many ideas and suggestions from the beginning of that made it into KS6 Caverns Deep.

We may have influenced DF a lot or we may have just listed the most common cavern and wilderness options that DF terrain users would want. But I figure if we give even one good idea to DF then it is a win win.
Last edited by kodiakbear on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 am

Wanna bet most of the posts do too?

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 am