Which resin classic sets would you recommend and how many?

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Which resin classic sets would you recommend and how many?

Post by GardenDM » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm

@TLW - Our thoughts are very much the same here. My intent with Resin (and heck, even the "special edition" Dwarvenite like Marble) is to be able to add some variety to the builds, not create a huge area.

@All - I've decided to start picking up bits of DoE as they become available. I grabbed Wicked Additions from the DF shop and the "Expansion" set elsewhere.

Still looking to get 1 (maybe 2?) of the Rooms Set if anyone is looking to lighten their Resin collection to fund KS6 or other purchases.

In the meantime, fingers crossed that the DoE Rooms Set gets on the next restock (or Preorder!!!, please) list. :)

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:54 pm

I treat my resin (which I had ages before KS' came out) as "specialty pieces" now.

They look different than KS dungeons/caverns etc. And b/c I mass painted my dungeons, and will my Caverns & Castles (KS 1, 2 and 4) te resin has a different and nicer paint job.

I have one or two of almost all the specialty sets - Woodland, RoTA, you name it. I treat each of these as something I can add to a dungeon/cavern/whatever is similar.

I also have another brand of matching sized tiles in essentially a marble-like resin. I use that as a mausoleum to go with Catacombs.

Resin is too expensive to do en mass. But by saving mine, and using it as specialty areas, I can make the mass Dungeon/Cavern etc much more individualized.

SO I recommend getting most of your investment into KS', in aftermarket if need be, and then getting a proportional amount of resins. Enough to make the KS basics varied. How much that is depends on your KS buys. But at elast enough of each to do a few caverns/rooms etc.

I would add a bit more of DoE, at least one of each subtype.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:32 pm

marcoreds wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:26 pm
I have both.

My preference, is that I like DoE more. I do love RotA, mind, but if I had to choose...

I just find that I will probably use DoE more, many demons and evil summoners in my campaigns, and that is perfect for them.
Also, the Wicked Additions set has been out of print for ages, I have waited sooo long to get one, since on Ebay it had absurd prices. Even if you go with RotA, if you can spare some more to get this, in view of future acquisition of DoE, I would get one if possible, while they last.
Thank you for the perspective. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards DoE myself, so thank you for confirming my bias. ;-)

Of course, would love to hear counter-arguments from the RoA fans...you know who you are.

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:26 pm

I have both.

My preference, is that I like DoE more. I do love RotA, mind, but if I had to choose...

I just find that I will probably use DoE more, many demons and evil summoners in my campaigns, and that is perfect for them.
Also, the Wicked Additions set has been out of print for ages, I have waited sooo long to get one, since on Ebay it had absurd prices. Even if you go with RotA, if you can spare some more to get this, in view of future acquisition of DoE, I would get one if possible, while they last.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am

I'm on the fence about picking up some additional Resin right now. On the one hand, better strike while they're in the store, on the other hand, I'm certain to receive my KS6 PM invite any moment now and that whooshing sound is all my money disappearing.

If I was only going to invest in Den of Evil or Realm of Ancients as my next resin sets, which would you recommend?

I have Catacombs 1 (2 sets) and Catacombs 2 (1 set) and they're fantastic for specialty builds. I also just ordered 2 sets of Woodlands and see using them as city gardens or special areas in my Darkhollow forest. I'm not interested in resin Dungeons or Caverns (other than sniping the occasional single setpiece from eBay) since KS 1&5 and KS 2&6 have me very well set there.

Realm of the Ancients feels like it could be useful for introducing sci-fi esque scenarios (part of the dungeon is alien technology).

Den of Evil looks like it's good for wizards lairs, demon infested dungeon areas, etc.

Happy to hear thoughts and experiences from those with these sets. Obviously, if I decide to go RoA, I can quickly snag the key sets right now. If I go DoE, I can get the wicked additions and keep my eyes out for room sets, etc. over time.

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:08 am

I did not see any glitter in the DOE WA set, but I did not open every piece from their plastic bags. I pulled one of each piece to mull over whether to keep or sell the set.

I’m going to hang on to it for a while, because I will probably have an adventure at some point which will make me say, “hey! I know what I can use here!”

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:57 am

Glad you are pleased with them!

I use the RoTA sets for Good aligned temples (minus the Jackal stylized pieces from the second set) and likewise use the DoE sets for evil aligned temples, outsider lairs, insanity warping mad wizard labs etc.

I am guessing you did NOT get the glitter on/in your DoE WA set like Astrocat did?

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Mummies rock! 😇.

My players will shortly encounter 3 sarcophagi and awaken a Mummy Lord and his two guardians!

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Congrats Pizzabagel! Sounds like a nice bit of unpacking! I use the wicked addition sets ALL THE TIME as the pieces are so versatile , and the catacombs are among my favorites - that said if you didn't pick up the coffin//mummy set . its really amazingly crafted, and they are all different poses. Never got the RoA and I sold all my DoE stuff- the craftsmanship is unreal.

If you don't own the Resin Cavern and Cavern passages and you ever have a chance to get them ... do so. They will be your favorites.

Edit - just saw you got the mummies! :P

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Oh and I also bought a set of tombs and mummies and an LED lighted wall (accessories for Catacombs). They are well worth the price! I really like them!