Which resin classic sets would you recommend and how many?

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Re: Which resin classic sets would you recommend and how many?

Post by Pizzabagel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Just received all my resin sets. Wow!

I really like the heft and feel of the resin pieces. They feel like stone, and the artwork is beautiful! I can see though that you would not want to drop these on hard tile.

Love, love, love the Catacombs! (2 sets) I will use the heck out of these. Now I just have to try get the Catacombs Set 2.

Love the Woodlands! (2 sets) Although I broke one of the forest doors trying to open them. Doh!

Really like Wicked Additions 1 and 2. I may start mixing some of these in with my Dwarvenite dungeons.

I like Realm of the Ancients 1 and 2 (bought 2 of each) but I’mnot sure yet how often I will use them. Might work for a Greek/Roman theme, temple, cloud giant city, hmm.... This is useful to rotate in something different, so my players don’t get bored with the same dungeon or cavern walls all the time.

I also picked up a Den of Evil Wicked Additions set. Not sure if I like this motif, but it may just be personal preference. I do like the pillars in the set, but that’s about it. I will likely try to resell this set.

Thanks everyone for your excellent advice and assistance!

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 am

I dumped the boxes years ago and stack them together willy nilly. The sole exception are my beautiful, precious resin rivers and lakes. I have had very little damage over the years, but I make a point of not dropping on the floor or tossing them. The few chips and fractures glued right back with nary a trace.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Ah, the felt bottom. I forgot to mention that in my newest classic dungeon sets I have had to use a glue stick to reapply several of those. Not a big deal but it’s the only real problem that I have had with my resin sets. I guess a bad batch of glue at the factory is the cause.

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Just chiming in on durability - I have had no problems with wear at all, even on the cavern and water set pieces which have a lot of seemingly "delicate" details. Most I store in the Styrofoam stores they were sent in, but most of my Room and passage stuff with the advanced builder stuff and soon to be had woodland stuff is in one large box. Mostly because it gets used so frequently. Its very strong, as long as you aren't tossing it about ;) Even the felt on the bottoms wears amazingly well.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Treat them like you would your dwarvenite pieces, with the exception of tossing them into a box willy-nilly or putting them in a place where they could fall off of your table. They're much more durable than you would think.

Besides delaminating in the lake sets and yellowing in the ice cavern sets, the only damage I've had is one wall snapping in transit from CA to UT while in a U-haul (easily superglued), and a gargoyle face from the Den of Evil sets break off at some point. Other than that, everything is still pristine.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

AstroCat
Orc
Orc

Post by AstroCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am

That's great to hear! At first I was treating them like delicate art, lol! Glad I can be more normal, this will especially help with storage, I was worried I couldn't really have them up against each other or stacked.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 am

AstroCat wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:53 pm
Got my first shipment of Resin today, it was just a single Catacombs I. My first resin set! Pretty awesome I must say, for sure now I believe having some resin "encounter" sets will be cool to add flavor to Dwarvenite builds.

How durable is the resin as far as rubbing/sliding up against other resin pieces? Can I stack them touching? Really how careful do I have to be to prevent chipping, scratching the paint or resin? I am a little nervous with these since I don't know how durable they really are. Afraid I'm gonna learn the hard way.

Thanks for any advice! Oh and posted pics over in the Facebook user group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dwarvenforge/
Over several years of use and storage, I have never experienced any wear of my resin pieces. Not even a single paint scratch. The only worry is dropping them on a hard surface can cause breaking. So unless you plan to juggle your pieces over concrete you should be fine.

AstroCat
Orc
Orc

Post by AstroCat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Got my first shipment of Resin today, it was just a single Catacombs I. My first resin set! Pretty awesome I must say, for sure now I believe having some resin "encounter" sets will be cool to add flavor to Dwarvenite builds.

How durable is the resin as far as rubbing/sliding up against other resin pieces? Can I stack them touching? Really how careful do I have to be to prevent chipping, scratching the paint or resin? I am a little nervous with these since I don't know how durable they really are. Afraid I'm gonna learn the hard way.

Thanks for any advice! Oh and posted pics over in the Facebook user group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dwarvenforge/

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 pm

I have to say, the most useful of my classic resin sets are the Rooms and Passages set, Advanced Builder 1, and the Wicked Additions sets. The most beautiful (that I own) are Woodlands and Den of Evil. I don’t have Realms of the Ancients only because it is so lovely and special that I know it wouldn’t get much use.

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:15 pm
Pizzabagel wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:58 pm
Is the Fantasy Floor Set worth getting?

Honestly though, I think the floor options they have now in Dwarvenite kinda make this set a pass at this point.
Agree. I have a fair bit of resin, and I LOVE it. I managed to get one of the trove sets from the store which has a 4x4 pool from the DoD, and some other floor options - enough that are making me pass on this set, although the price is fairly cheap given the cost of most resin sets.