Any Semi-Official Updates on the Caverns KS?

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Any Semi-Official Updates on the Caverns KS?

Post by jackattack » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 pm

We need to do the survey, first...
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

KenM
Orc
Orc

Post by KenM » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Just hit 2.1 Mil. Lets see the add on set.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Let\'s hit $2.1M! Remember these from the beginning of the KS? Let\'s see if we can get these in the last stretch goal!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001 ... 1394633984
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:43 am

I really like these pics.

Frog
Orc
Orc

Post by Frog » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Frog wrote:

Looks like a Hellscape add-on! I\'m liking that there are at least 5 different pieces not counting the transition piece! I hope this add-on is a near full size set or that it\'s a paint job option where you get entire sets painted this way!

Stefan, I hear you are busy painting up 5 sets of some add-on?

I hope it is this Hellscape set!

amykins3
Goblin
Goblin

Post by amykins3 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:47 am

Good morning everyone!

The pieces that were added to the narrow passage add-on set are pretty cool.

I am pretty excited about the sheer number of different pieces. These will be amazing when they are all done. The large quantity of different pieces will allow for some creative uses, that\'s for sure.

the numbers continue to steadily rise. slow but sure.

Null
Orc
Orc

Post by Null » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:35 pm

That\'s an amazing Hellscape for \"just\" being a repaint. They really do look like entirely different pieces. The possibilities for alternate paint schemes may well beat the first Kickstarter, hands down. Stuff like this could really pull in more backers.

Frog
Orc
Orc

Post by Frog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Looks like a Hellscape add-on! I\'m liking that there are at least 5 different pieces not counting the transition piece! I hope this add-on is a near full size set or that it\'s a paint job option where you get entire sets painted this way!

galladril
Orc
Orc

Post by galladril » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:44 pm

kitenerd wrote:

This is far from over, and i am as excited as the next person for more stretch goal goodness, but even if there are no more pieces added to the set i still think this set is worth every penny.

I\'m in agreement.

I was lucky enough to be able to use and play with the resin sets, for years, before buying one. My Uncle, whom I game with, became an absolutely rabid DF collector, and introduced it to our D&D game, years ago.

To this day, I still think he gets 2 or 3 each of every set that is released.

My very first impression of DF, seeing it at a Gencon years ago was: \"This stuff is AWESOME!\" Next thought: \"Wow. I\'ll NEVER be able to afford this. It\'s just WAY too expensive.\"

Fast forward to years later. I find out that DF is starting a KS. I can finally get some of this stuff for myself. Awesome!

After the KS conclusion, KNOWING that there would be some pieces that would be seriously useful, and wanting to introduce my players to it, I purchased a grand total of 5 sets off of eBay. I wanted something to use in the meantime, and have to supplement my Game Tiles when they finally arrived.

After YEARS of wanting it, I took the plunge into resin.

The very first day I used them in my gaming group, I asked my players: \"Do you guys like this stuff, and do you think it helps to add to the game?\"

All of them responded: \"Yes. It makes a difference.\"

That D&D has been around for 40 years, and Stefan figured out a way to help players get even MORE involved with the game is worth it\'s weight in gold.

I love the resin pieces, and I spend a few hundred each month on gaming materials. I DO have an income and budget for it. I know I am lucky in that aspect.

I also know that resin cost is increasing, and I would rather have Dwarvenite stuff, just for the sheer fact that I don\'t worry about breaking or cracking it during gameplay.

Here is the thing though: Dwarvenite opened the door, for me, to be able to FINALLY get some of this stuff. Once it did, I began to supplement with resin, and will continue to do so (Yes, I am looking forward to the June restocks.)

The caverns set, in resin, is expensive. Compared to the cavern sculpts in Dwarvenite? I like the Dwarvenite even more.

I am sick and tired of people on the KS comment board whining and complaining about the lack of value. If YOU don\'t see value in this KS? Don\'t back it. Noone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to.

However, I see a tremendous amount of value in this. I will not be pulling my pledge, just adding to it. I know that this will NEVER be as cheap to purchase EVER AGAIN.

Can I afford to be a Grand Patron? No. I may have disposable income, but not THAT much. Do I wish I had more to throw at it? Absolutely - I would upgrade from 3 to 5 sets in a heartbeat.

But the point is: I at least had a CHANCE to do so. It was, for me, no longer a HUGE initial investment to get my foot in the door. In a manner of speaking, it was a \"gateway drug.\" I now feel more comfortable spending money supplementing my collection. I know it gets used. I know my players love it. I know I love it.

If this KS stopped, right now, without ANY addons, or ANY stretch goals, I would still be happy that Stefan and Jeff gave us the opportunity to own this stuff. However, I\'m glad that is not the case, I am appreciative of every free piece that gets added, and I am looking forward to the next 20+ days that we will all be unlocking and adding additional stuff.

Shadaraman
Orc
Orc

Post by Shadaraman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:38 pm

jimibones83 wrote:

Now that I think about it, having a larger variety of pieces shouldn\'t increase the price of the set, it should just increase the size of the goal. After the goal is reached and the molds are paid for, it doesn\'t matter if a set has different pieces, 30 of them is still 30 of them.

I just hope the little bit of money I ha e to spend will get me the amount of pieces I need after stretch goals. DF was pretty generous with stretch goals last time

This is probably at least partially true, but there\'s more to it than that. These pieces look like they use more material, which would cost more. They also use more complex (sliding) molds, which might increase the time required per piece, which would also raise the cost per pieces.

It\'s also possible that there is a cost to setting up and switching molds, which is why pieces get cheaper the more of them you make (there must be some reason that bulk orders are so much cheaper even after the molds are made). That would mean that more pieces does make a difference, even after the molds are paid for.

I don\'t know a lot about this kind of manufacturing, so this is all just stream of consciousness guessing.

Return to “Kickstarter Updates”