DFKS3 Q&A From The Comments Section

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
dandare
Ogre
Ogre

Re: DFKS3 Q&A From The Comments Section

Post by dandare » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Looks like one of my hopes / question referring to KS4 has already been asked :) and answered :(

24. I really want battlements but I have to wonder, for budget issues, if they will be re sold in the Castle/Keep expansion? Any word on that?

ANSWER:
These are the baby battlement. They have larger, tougher cousin as part of the Castle Builder System. We don't know what the config of the Castle Pledges will be, but these probably won't be in the base pledge. So if you buy these ones here you won't be overloaded in KS4

Guess KS4 may only be about 'The Castle' / 'Keep' and I 'probably' miss out on low lying surrounding walls for an epic castle to sit inside of. Pity. My Keep of the Borderlands will have to remain without its wall defence.
I hope this changes before KS4.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:03 am

From Jenney's Q&A synopsis:
ANSWER: If you give us three creative game-related reasons that do you need more sewer drains then we'll consider it...
1) Tentacles!
2) Are those eyes? - perhaps the thieves guild is using the drains to keep tabs on illicit operations at the market
3) You know a treasure is going down one of those
4) Tiny creatures can flee into them
5) Halfling rogue with potion of reduce could use them to gain access to areas of the city otherwise off limits
6) Loot drop for pickpocket gang with accomplice below ground
7) Murderous sniper with poison crossbow bolt
8) What is that smell - something decidedly not sewage - what is going on?
9) Rising water has to come up somewhere - flooding a city makes everything real cozy real fast 10) Gaseous Form

I could go on, but the real reason is these are one of the COOLEST sculpts in the Streets - I'd happily give up a nobles crossing for more sewer grates!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

DarkAcroyear
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DarkAcroyear » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Phew! Just finished going through this whole Q&A!! Thanks to the DF team for being so responsive!!!

My questions/Comments:

1. If you are putting magnets in the assassin's perch, chimneys, etc., I hope you are going to use very strong magnets (i.e. rare earth magnets), and have found a great way to make sure they don't come out of the pieces. There have been a lot of problems with magnet-building toy sets where the magnets come out. (I hate to even mention that some folks have even tried to ban Buckyballs...)

2. Would someone please confirm (or post) if the "narrow dungeon passage" in the Wall Foundations add-on pack are the same as what I have from KS2? I need to decide how many to buy. (Also something showing their intended use with the Battlements would be fantastic!)

3. The Pledge Calculator has a glitch that seems to happen every time I use it. I select a country, then start selecting items. At some point (every time) when I'm clicking one of the "+"-es, a pop-up appears declaring that I need to select a country first. I then have to re-click the (still selected) country (which clears my selections), and try again. Only seems to do this once each time I load the page. Happens in both Firefox and IE.

4. What is the greatest quote heard during one of Stefan's campaigns (from either side of the GM screen)?

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:07 pm

3-20-15

1. Any news on Mega Battlements? I so want it to be real and not just a dream...

ANSWER:
Wondy - Nate has stuff in the works for you

2. Double post? Only looks like it has an area for a center wall? Is it offset?

ANSWER:
The double corner post has a centered T notch. It connects cleanly with a matching post or one of the other specialty posts.

3. Curious...will the ladder have larger, flat rungs so figures can stand on it, but it looks more like stairs? Or will the ladder have thin rungs at scale, but impossible for figures to stand on?

ANSWER:
Nate - The ladder has relatively flat rungs.

4. Anything to say about the contents of the building add-on set or will we just have to wait to unlock it?

ANSWER:
Nate - Several add-ons with only stone or only Tudor pieces.

5. I’m concerned about doing an inside corner for battlements if the battlement overhangs outside the normal 2x2 tile dimensions, as you can't just butt two wall pieces together due to the overhang.

ANSWER:
Nate - You can currently fudge the pieces pretty well. But ultimately an inside curve battlement should be made. Probably not in this KS. Just dipping lightly into castle stuff here. Just enough to do basic fortifications and simple watchtowers. Sure you CAN do castles with this stuff. But they'll get way more badass in the Castle Builder System.

6. I was wondering if they've got some new colors to announce - tho, the current set covers a lot, and they mix pretty easily (with each other, but also Reaper/Vall's), but there's no dark blue or purple. Bubbles blue is good for some things, not so good for others.

ANSWER:
Nate - Yes there should be new colors. But not confirmed on paint yet. Will probably have to raise the price if it happens.

7. How long will the pledgemanager be open after the Kickstarter?

ANSWER:
Nate - Pledge manager won't be open overly long. I'll find out exact timings as soon as I can. The order can't be finalized with the factory until the PM is closed. So for on time delivery everything needs to be locked down quickly.

John Bellando pledge manager v1.2
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... kVaeo/edit

Keith Jones Street Comparison
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... emo9o/edit

Forest
This build consists of: Village, Slate Roof, Stone Streets, Wicked Streets, Alleys.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z253 ... 2%20AM.png

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:06 pm

3-19-15

1. Is there any chance of a 1/2 Imperial Streets Pack? One that isn't so mega but still includes all of the pieces?

ANSWER:
Unfortunately the Imperial Streets have been crafted by master Dwarven stonesmiths and no matter how hard we try they cannot be separated.

2. Do you think Elye is in Vermont making hundreds/thousands of tiny metal grates for the street tile with the grate, they look VERY VERY familiar.

ANSWER:
More likely that Elye's Chinese stunt double will be making the great quantity of grates.

3. ... waiting for the imperial mushroom pack.

ANSWER:
That would certainly take the edge off this campaign.

4. If Stefan's secret Mini is a gelatenous cube, he'll put all the guys on Ebay out of business. ;-)

ANSWER:
Brilliant. And noted...

5. Will there be lots of painting tutorials? I'm going to have to get everything dungeon grey to get everything that I want.

ANSWER:
Yes! But we might have to resurrect Bob Ross to get through them all.

6. Any thoughts on an edge / beveled transition piece to take a set of street tiles down to table level? This would allow streets leaving a town to transition on to a dirt road at table level. Perhaps the tile could be sculpted as a cobblestone to dirt surface.

ANSWER:
Wondy - For the people asking about transition pieces for town to the outside we have so many sculpts that we cannot do all of the other transition pieces now.

7. Is there anyway to get more sewer drains in the Imperial pack? Two really isn't enough.

ANSWER:
If you give us three creative game-related reasons that do you need more sewer drains then we'll consider it...

8. Any word on what add-ons we can expect to be sold roughly as-is in 2016?

ANSWER:
Wondy - Add on list for 2016 is very preemptive because we have not released everything yet. About %90 of the total add-ons will be available for web store sale for sure

9. What is the thickness of the Town square tiles? Especially the mosaic and the full street?

ANSWER:
They are the thickness of a standard DF floor. The regular streets are all standard height at te edges but slope downward into the gutter in the middle. The open pieces stay level. Does that make sense?

10. Any idea how long the pledge manager will be open?

ANSWER:
Everyone that was asking how long the Pledge manager will be open after the KS3 closes and it should be open for about 3 weeks or so

11. How many sets are the minis broken into?

ANSWER:
Multiple, by type.

12. Is the mystery mini that comes with the sewer pack something that we could likely use multiples of?

ANSWER:
Wondy – Yes.

13. Were all minis sculpted by Sandra Garrity or just ratmen? Also who did the Lizard Men? (Thanks!)

ANSWER:
Wondy - both of them we done by Sandra and the new ratmen were also done by her

14. Was there a reason there are curve out tiles in the Town Square pack? They're not too useful without it assuming you bought other specific packs. I'm sure there was something. Just curious what it was.

ANSWER:
Wondy - In order to make a town square, you need 4 of those curve. There are only 2 in the stone streets pack. They are by far the most used curves, and if you’re doing a large street build incorporating the open streets or open plaza you’re going to need those curves

15. Possibility of metal townsfolk?

ANSWER:
Wondy - good chance but it depends on demand after the ks3

16. Who sculpted the townsfolk?

ANSWER:
Wondy - Drew Williams did

17. Will the Mega packs be available in the store... Or is this a kick start exclusive.

ANSWER:
They'll probably be in the store until supplies run out. Then, who knows...

18. Will the mega packs be priced the same later? Is the pricing savings only on the main village pieces?

ANSWER:
Prices will probably go up post-KS

19. Will the variety of corner posts be in the one SG or staggered?

ANSWER:
Our SGs are generally staggered.

20. The foundations look just like the narrow corridors for the Dungeon Tiles? What's the difference? Are they just wider?

ANSWER:
Nate - You are correct that the wall foundations are just Narrow Dungeon Passages. We wanted to let people repurpose their existing pieces as much as possible. There will be proper (and epic!) walls in The Castle Builder System.

21. So what exactly is the pillar in the battlements pack for?

ANSWER:
Nate - You're correct about the pillar holding up battlements

22. That price seems high for 12 Narrow Corridors, is that the standard DF Store price for them?

ANSWER:
Narrow Dungeons $45 Unpainted, $65 Painted
(12x foundations, 6x 45 turns, 2x wide/narrow transition)

23. Is there a MEGA BATTLEMENTS PACK in the works?

ANSWER:
If there's enough demand we'll consider it. So far it seems like it would be popular

24. I really want battlements but I have to wonder, for budget issues, if they will be re sold in the Castle/Keep expansion? Any word on that?

ANSWER:
These are the baby battlement. They have larger, tougher cousin as part of the Castle Builder System. We don't know what the config of the Castle Pledges will be, but these probably won't be in the base pledge. So if you buy these ones here you won't be overloaded in KS4

25. Would it be possible to get a view from "outside the keep" for the outside of the battlement piece? Is there a part that hangs below the level of the floor?

ANSWER:
I think we'll have to do a full battlements tutorial video and show off all angles of these bad boys.

26. KS 1 windows are called Castle walls add-on incidentally.. Would like to know if this older add-on and the battlements will be part of castle system...

ANSWER:
To some degree.

27. Will it be tall enough for the minis between levels?

ANSWER:
if you're referring to the battlements, then no. Unless you use strictly dwarves, halflings, kobolds, and goblins.

28. Curious if the battlements need to sit on a flat floor piece, can sit directly on modular walls, etc

ANSWER:
We'll do video/ photos to show how they sit.

29. Would like confirmation of paint scheme for pre-painted battlements. Df1 or akin to videos and pictures (lighter + green moss)?

ANSWER:
Stefan - Paint scheme plan is to match the crenellations with the usual stone colors we have done before...might be a slight variation as everything is always hand painted, but you will see in some pictures that the look is fine all together....Nate made some builds where he combined dungeon tiles with City builder tiles and crenellations...

30. The more I look at those pillars, the more I think we need a set of just pillars.

ANSWER:
Noted.

31. KS4 "The Doom Strikes Back"

Nate - Zaltar and the Temple of Doom?

32. What about a KS1 tile with a trap door?

ANSWER:
One easy solution for the KS1 floor with trapdoor is Griffin Tamer. When his webstore is up, he has a very nice 2x2 trapdoor floor that's compatible with the KS1 line

33. Does the crenellation has a pure 2''x2'' footprint or does the crenellation extend a little bit over the tile.

ANSWER:
Extends a hint, so as to look sexy.

34. Pledge calculator does not add shipping for int. For battlements packs + missing photo of Town square add-on in recap pictures.

ANSWER:
Those damn ratmen again...

35. What is the size of the corner posts?

ANSWER:
The corner posts are .5 of an inch wide and about 1.6 inches tall.

36. Do you know what specific posts there will be?

ANSWER:
Yes. There will be several special posts. The basics you would expect. Double, L, quad, and end cap. How's that for some beans?!?!

FOLLOW UP:
T please too. ;)

ANSWER:
Yeah, there's a T.

REPLY:
(Rico) Nate is spilling beans? Who are you, and what have you done with the real Nate?

ANSWER:
A combo of exhaustion and excitement is letting the beans escape. That, and the fact that there are so many new uber-beans makes me feel like I can let a few sneak peaks out.

37. Is the new ladder SG the free standing one which we see in the image gallery?

ANSWER:
Yep! It got a sneak peek cameo.

38. When will ruins appear?

ANSWER:
Ruins was supposed to be $1.25M But isn't going to be ready in time (you guys are moving too fast!). There was something else shifted into that spot which I thought we were announcing in the last update. We'll probably announce tomorrow

39. Is the mystery mini in the sewer mega pack going to be announced before the end of the campaign? Or will we have to wait until we get the shipments?

ANSWER:
Most likely announced before the end of the Pledge Manager phase. Waiting on some sculpts....

40. (Josh Chunick) I'm sure this has been asked, but why does the trap door in the Tower Battlements add-on open up to face the crenellations?... it should open to what would likely be an open area.

ANSWER (from the Comments):
(Mitch) - Because OH&S didn't exist in medieval times?

Nate - We wanted the trap door to be able to sit open as an option. The space between the lip and the battlements wasn't enough. Thus we figured functionality trumped historical accuracy. Maybe Elye can take a break from mass-producing sewer grates and figure out a solution :)

41. I don't think the trap doors are actually hinged, I believe the lid is loose. Is this correct?

ANSWER:
Jenney - The trap doors are modeled off of Elye's trap doors from his Griffin Tamer KSer material. All his trap doors are compatible with the trap doors here. His trap doors were hinged in a way that they open when touched and close easily, but aren't actually connected together, so Yes, there is only one way to open the trap doors with a single touch. It is brilliant and elegant.

Collin’s updated spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mI1Mw/edit

Xintao’s battlement test build
http://xinslair.blogspot.com/2015/03/mo ... ge-ks.html

Street Pledge Comparison by Keith Jones
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

John Bellando’s pledge calc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 4ZvF8/edit

Steven Anderson’s Map Maker Updake
https://mega.co.nz/#!MVMWTCRb!WIJVweuUG ... pCBMihkj50

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Questions Not Answered from the Live Q&A on 3/16/15 (posted 3/19/15)

1. (Frank) It was brought up before but, any chance for half roof, divided down the peak to continue the roof from a Second floor down to a first floor?

ANSWER:
Probably not in this KS

2. (Eric Montoya) Are the tiles blue and black or gold and white?!

ANSWER:
Ha! Stefan needs to make a grid that looks like 4x4 to some and 3x3 to others...

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:33 pm

3/18/15 (posted 3/19/15)

1. Has there been any official word on whether the...
-Walls w/Doorway + Door in the core set
-Wall with Door in the Roof Pack
-Tudor/Stone City Door in the Door Pack
...are all the exact same piece?

ANSWER:
They are all the same. We will standardize the names. Thanks for pointing it out.

2. (Laurent) Pledge Calculator not working for me. Pop up message says I cannot chose add-ons if I do not take more than 1 Cottage. First this is not according to Cottage pledge on main page (allows for add-ons) and second, well, I chose Village, not cottage...

ANSWER:
Forwarded to Johanna

3. (Ryan)Any chance we'll see different floor layouts in this Kickstarter? I'm very much interested in 2x8 floor pieces?
(Keith)I'd like to see 2x4 but the idea of an assortment of 2x2's is growing on me

ANSWER:
There's a possibility for 2x2 floors.

4. Has Dwarven Forge considering offering a tool that can help punch the right size hole in other pieces to expand the use of posts? I can see these being usable to create depth in more than just this set.

ANSWER:
Nate- that's a wild idea. Probably outside the scope of possibility for this KS.

Wondy - We have not thought about any modding tools but that might be interesting. I am not sure about the actual feasibility of DF providing that but you never know

FOLLOW UP:
(comments) It could easily be done with a pin vise or drill. But not knowing the details of the peg system yet, I really think having a one-stop tool for it would be really great. And I think it has a nice tie-in to this being a system, as it would be very easy to adapt any plastic piece to this system.

5. Has DF considered making Cavern Posts?

ANSWER:
We had not. We thought of this system as too non-organic for caverns. What were you envisioning?

6. I'm also super curious what aesthetic impact the holes will have.

ANSWER:
We are too. We're trying to make them as small as possible. We don't want to ruin the beauty of these pieces any more than you do.

7. So what is the most rash thing any one has done to afford some DF items?

ANSWER:
Um... decide to get involved in this KS

8. Poetry by Kitenerd:

An exciting day to be sure
My kickstarter joy is quite pure
as we head for the ramparts
and hope for more free parts
the Ratmen descend on the sewers!

9. Any pieces not shown in video in your sleeves, for buildings?

ANSWER:
of course :)

10. How about a contest or something for some of the prototype pieces?

ANSWER:
Wondy - what type of contest would you like?

REPLIES:
Jonathan - How about a DFKS3 t-shirt design contest? Entries can be in the form of design, words or both.

ANSWER:
Wondy - so your t shirt contest for prototypes idea is being seriously considered..

11. Wait, how do I grid my loins?

ANSWER (from the comments):
(Kent Hinkson) With a black permanent marker and a piece of yarn.
(Jonathan Brown) the loin grid is presumably 2x2

Nate - that depends. Do your loins need to be backwards compatible with legacy loins?

12. Will the DF1 Castle walls add-on be integral part of the Castle systems as well as the coming Battlements add-on?

ANSWER:
They will be compatible but not integral. You can participate in the Castle Builder System KS without buying these pieces now.

13. What do they mean by "Double Corner Posts"?

ANSWER (From the Comments)
Kent Hinkson - I figure it might be a double posted corner so that you can connect two posts together?

Eric Montoya - I'm pretty sure the double corner post is to make a T section possible without needing two posts to do it. I could of course be completely wrong. I thought I heard mention of a similar straight piece being made to unite two walls together side-by-side.

Collin Sullivan - Does it have grooves on four sides? Does it have pins to lock into two adjacent bases? Somebody catch me up, please...

14. Just noticed the pledge manager enters my selection of a painted monster sewer as sewer walls, albeit with the correct cost.

ANSWER:
Those damn ratmen must be to blame! I'll have Johanna send an exterminator.

15. Are the ruins for the buildings or are they traditional game tiles pieces for dungeons?

ANSWER:
You'll have to wait and see. They'll be revealed very soon...

16. Has any thought been given to railings or banisters as an alternative to wall piece? They would allow us to build gazebos on the ground level and grand decks or balconies on the second floor and above.

ANSWER:
Wondy - Will be addressed in the next couple of days

17. In the future, for the Castles Builder System, will the tiles be gridded like the dungeons, caverns, sewers, battlements, and old medieval building sets? Or, will the tiles be gridded like the new City Builder System? Has there been any discussion or decision on this?

ANSWER:
This has all been part of our larger discussion on the grid system.

18. Does this hat make my skull look fat?

ANSWER:
No. It's just that your jawbone is big-boned.

19. When I add the Imperial Streets add-on in the pledge manager it's listed on the side as "Corner Posts" ($350). Those are some expensive posts! ;)

FYI - There's a bug in the pledge calculator. Everything in the add-ons section after corner posts seems to get added with the test of "Corner Posts - Dungeon Gray"

ANSWER:
Wondy - It’s being worked on
Nate - Well those are the gold-plated Imperial Posts.

20. Are there plans for T and X intersections of the alley pieces? Or a dead end?

ANSWER:
Wondy - T and x have to wait a few days for the response

21. Nate I would like to see a sample build that mixes KS1 and KS3. Two requests: KS1 and sewer tiles and KS1 and the stone floors with and without inserted walls. For example, sluice ways in a KS1 room. For example 2 4x4 stone tiles with a KS1 door and KS1 floor tile in-between with and an interior wall on one 4x4 and open wall on the other interior edge. I want to see how I can mix KS1 and KS3.

ANSWER:
Yes!

22. Can we PLEEEEEEEASE get a mapmaker update with at the very least the street packs? Sewer packs would be nice as well, but most of the options in these new street packs aren't easily translatable to existing pieces that are in the mapmaker so it would be really nice if we could get the mapmaker updated so we can play around with this stuff and know how much we really need. I understand why the city stuff can't go in the mapmaker now because of the 3D problem, but the streets definitely should be in there!

ANSWER:
Steven Anderson is working on it currently. Should be up shortly.

23. A desire for a street only 4x4 pack without the sidewalk plaza or any curbs, just 4x4s of solid street

ANSWER:
Nate - Open Street Add-On Pack? Kind of the Open Water Pack for roads? We'll throw it in the thresher and see what happens

24. On that note, what about an open water pack? Lol. An Open Water Pack could also be a "canal" pack for port inhabitations...

ANSWER:
A legacy request! Would it make sense to make 4x4 open water tiles? That’s not a promise, just an idea.

25. I think the alley pack is a little odd. It seems like it needs more straight pieces and/or fewer transition pieces.

ANSWER:
Nate- The transition pieces are the only way to connect the alleys to the rest of the streets. If you only had two then you'd be stuck using all your alley pieces in only two alleys. With 4 transitions, you can do four alleys, or two with transitions on either side, or some combo of the two.

26. One of the coolest things about the ruins of Pompeii when I visited them were the stepping stones across the roads. They were huge but it was very interesting.

ANSWER:
Nate - Stefan used those very stones as the inspiration for the Nobles' Crossing.

27. Re: Imperial Streets. I was expecting something more in the scope and budget of the Sewers mega pack. This one is more expensive than expected. Might have to pass... Not sure. But beautiful

ANSWER:
We made the pack huge because it was a better deal, and gave adequate streets to really fill out an Empire pledge. Plus there's no point in doing a mega pack if it's not huge and badass. We could have lowered the quantity, but then you'd end up being short on stuff. It's certainly not for everyone, because it is pricy. But damn, it's a lot of table coverage!

28. Will the mosaic plaza have post holes?

ANSWER:
Wondy - no holes in the mosiac as it part of the streets

29. Is there any chance for the roof packs, that we nix the assassin's perch and chimneys and get an additional gable?

ANSWER:
No, sorry.

30. Last night in the Q&A Stefan indicated he was looking at ways to "hide" a 2x2 AND a 3x3 in the floors so they could work for either. Is that no longer happening?

ANSWER:
The grid is an ongoing debate.

31. Will we be seeing any pictures of tiles with the peg holes drilled out and the pegs themselves in the near future?

ANSWER:
Hopefully. Waiting on the factory. If you think we’re slow on the updates over here...

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:32 pm

3/17/15 (posted 3/19/15)

1. Ideas for Doors
1) How about a wall insert to make the door a narrow door?
2) How about half doors (lower and swinging like wild west saloons)
3) Doors with wood on bottom and hollow square on the top
4) Bars
5) Insert with shelves (hidden door)

ANSWER:
All good ideas. Some (multi-part swinging doors) are hard to implement.

2. Is there any chance of expanding the list of videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/dwarvenforgevids? I can recall at least two other videos, including one with some beautiful shots of the sewers that links were provided for, but if they can all be centrally located on the Dwarven forge channel it would be easier to direct people to them.

ANSWER:
Yes! All video content will live there eventually.

3. Will the 1" wide Sewer floor pieces be painted just like regular Game Tiles? If not, it would be kind of nice to have the option to obtain them painted as Game Tiles as part of Advanced Building pieces.

ANSWER:
A dungeon paint scheme is a great idea.

4. The "Back side" of sewers, painted to match KS1 if painted chosen as option?

ANSWER:
They should be a close match.

5. What kinds of accessories would be in the accessory pack.

ANSWER:
No beans on that one. You'll have to wait and see...

6. Details on the composition of the miniature packs.

ANSWER:
No beans

7. What's next to be unleashed after battlements?

ANSWER:
You'll see...

8. Can anyone make a Coat of Arms for Stefan and the newly formed Order of the Knights of the Swill?

ANSWER:
Great idea! Justin Martin are you reading this?

9. Will there be a balcony/shutter add-on?

ANSWER:
We're going to try and make every piece available in a at least one add-on pack

10. I would also like to know if you are planning a roof split lengthwise to build larger roofs?

ANSWER:
There are many more roof options possible than we'll be able to fit into this KS.

11. Was there ever a Backer Avatar graphic for this? (Jenney: This is so backers can change their KSer photo to a DF KS3 image, to help advertise for DF)

ANSWER:
Yes released in Update 7. http://www.dwarvenforge.com/kickstarter ... s-avatars/

12. Streets tiles all finalized, or open for suggestions?

ANSWER:
These sets are finalized. But we're always open for more suggestions...

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:20 pm

3/16/14 (posted 3/17/15)

1. Can a person pledge at Tourist for $1 USD and then buy several Sewer add-on sets? Or do they need to be at least at Hamlet to buy add-on sets?

ANSWER:
You need to be at Cottage to get Add-ons. You need to be at Hamlet to get Stretch Goals.

2. Since you are already producing the molds for the new doors, and already have the molds for the door frames from KS1, have you considered selling a KS1 'Door Set #2' including: Studded Door, Noble's Door, Ramshackle Door, City Door, and Double Door? The only thing you would need to make would be a Dungeon-style frame for the Double Door.

ANSWER:
Stefan - That is an interesting idea...I'll bring it up with the number folks....yes, we would save on the mold! Perhaps many new folks do not have those doors, or just want more doors? Although I did hear some talk about there being too many doors in our door pack for this kickstarter....lol...we just cant please everyone, especially when there are thousands of folks....opinions and wants vary SO much...

3. Odd question/request. I'm a little nervous about the townperson packs that are coming. Is it possible to verify that the prostitute pack is its own entity and won't exist in the other packs?

ANSWER:
Wondy - so for those of you that were talking about harlot mini's .. We do have in Valoria the Lusty Lady Inn whose owner is a half Orc and is the city's most famous brothel and of course we need to have employees that work there... Just saying

4. I was wondering how successfully DF runs as a business OUTSIDE of the Kickstarters, since the advent of Dwarvenite. Do you guys sell a lot of this stuff? Have you sold anywhere near as much outside of KS as you have with the KS?

ANSWER:
Stefan - we get much more volume during the kickstarters....such value would not be possible without the high number of pledges...kickstarter allows us to make these wonderful things:)

5. A Dwarven Forge Coliseum?

ANSWER:
Stefan - No Coliseum this Kickstarter....But I am pretty sure if this keeps going well that next year we will be able to add some really really kool stuff to the City....I also think that during the year many other folks will hopefully try to release stuff to compliment City games both in terrain and in modules/adventures...

6. If Stefan has inspiration from Ercolano or Pompeii, it would definitely fit my game setting better than the more medieval-styled items currently offered...

ANSWER:
Stefan - Indeed I am very influenced by Pompeii...the streets are a direct copy...stay tuned for more wall styles as well:)

7. How thick are the sewer floor tiles? (Jenney: The bottoms of the sluiceways.)

ANSWER:
Wondy - the sluiceway at its thinnest which is the center is 1\8 of an inch and at its thickest half and inch. The thickest part = the part of the sluice that is raised.

8. Apparently multi stories halls without intermediate floors are in the works (from previous Q&A). Does that mean we can expect higher double doors (to allow entrance of wagons for instance?

ANSWER:
Wondy - the higher double doors are in the future when we do city walls

9. Are catacombs something we can expect soon in dwarvenite?

ANSWER:
Wondy - Catacombs won't be in dwarvenite for awhile we sold a lot of them and we have to focus on the new stuff and we may do the catacombs but as stated just not now

10. Re: Battlements. Are they pieces to put on an existing roof, or are they pieces that include the floor(roof) and battlement in a single piece? Are they freestanding ,or part of an 'L' design, to be more clear.

ANSWER:
Wondy - Battlements are pieces to put on top they are not attached to the floor piece

11. Is there a possibility of getting sidewalks of wood, not cobblestone?

ANSWER:
Wondy - the wooden sidewalks are going to be part of the docks and so that will be in the future

12. Plans for Ruins or graveyards?

ANSWER:
Wondy - The ruins are possible but the graveyard we cannot do

13. Another thought on doors - if they pop out and trade with other doors - could the door pack be made to only have the new sculpts? - Our base sets give up plenty of standard city doors.

ANSWER:
Theory on the door pack was:
1) Wanted to give you variety in both stone and Tudor.
2) Wanted to give you enough doors to do internal and external
3) Wanted to give you a pair of each double door so you could do gatehouses with a double door on each side, or stables/warehouses with several entrances.
4) Doing a slightly larger quantity of doors ends up being cheaper for you guys than doing a smaller quantity

14. How do we pledge for 2 "Base Pledge Levels" with 1 kickstarter account?

ANSWER:
Sure. The easiest way: click on our Pledge Calculator link. Enter your country and the quantities of the items you want. The Pledge Calculator will tally your correct total. Then go to make your pledge (or modify an existing pledge). Enter your total into the “pledge amount” box. You only need to check off one of the multiple categories you want (the largest category is easiest). As long as your total is correct, you don't need to mark the other pledge category.

After the campaign closes, you will receive an invitation to our pledge manager. It will list your total pledge amount, and ask you to fill in the specific items you wanted to match your total pledge. This includes all pledge levels and add-on sets. (All free stretch goals you qualified for will be included automatically.)

the pledge manager will allow you to detail exactly what you want and if you pledge for 5 of a particular pledge level you would get the attached stretch goals per pledge. If you get 2 Hamlet pledges, you get SGs for both. If you get 1 Hamlet and 1 Empire, you get SGs for both. As long as they’re ordered during the Kickstarter.

15. What will be in the resin restock that arrives in about a month from now?

ANSWER:
SF-001 Sci-Fi Starter
MM027 Wicked Additions
MM030 Den of Evil Room
MM047 Catacombs Set
MM033 Advanced Builder Set

16. Best PC death you had Nate? Or most recent PC death?

ANSWER:
I had a Kensai (AD&D Oriental Adventures) that fought with twin sai. We encountered a red dragon that way outmatched us. I got initiative. I used my boots of levitation to rise plunged both sai into his snout. The dragon then used his breath weapon and incinerated me. But I shielded the rest of the party with my body pinned to the dragons about and they managed to escape.

17. Not sure where the thoughts are regarding an offering aimed at wargamers, but I was contemplating a Wargamer offering this morning. I think a 4-pack comprised of 4 wooden floors, 2 tudor doors, 14 tudor walls, 2 terracotta roofs, 2 stone floors, 2 stone doors, 14 stone walls, 2 slate roofs, 16 straight roads, and 16 corner roads would be a great offering. It would allow the wargamer to fill a solid 2x2 section of table with four two storey buildings that could be adjusted from 1 to 5 stories (depending upon configuration).

ANSWER:
interesting proposition. I like the idea of a set designed to fill a certain space and with streets built in. What if it was an add-on. Could add to the cottage or hamlet to make something similar.

18. How much does Stefan have to drink to get him in a "knighting" mood again?

ANSWER:
I think it's 3 beers to get knightly.

19. There was talk before about a Gables add-on pack (or maybe a Gables and 2"x4" Roofs pack). Is that still a possibility?

ANSWER:
Still in the works. We have a bunch of other Addons we want to release first. But we know how popular the gables are. It's definitely on our list.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 pm

03/15/15 (posted 3/17/15)

1. Each set has received 2 floors as Stretch Goals but only 4 posts. Village level now has 15 floors and 48 posts - it would need 60 posts to fully use all floors. Any chance of the free stretch goal corner posts being updated to match our current floorspace before the KS is over?

ANSWER:
Nate - High chance of another corner post SG. We're trying to map out the SG's to give you the most useable collection of final pieces. Mixing functional with fun.

2. I need more gables. Please tell me there is a way to get more?

ANSWER:
Nate - There will be a gable-on Add-on Pack

3. I noticed the Corner Wall Ends that do Not have a wall inset into them (It happens in four places in that small build), but will there be a better corner/pin < one-wall > piece made for open floor plans?

ANSWER:
Nate - Yes! Corner post end cap is incoming.... It's driving Stefan crazy without it.

4. It seems that Sewar Floor Pack is unfair compared to Sewar Sluice Pack for the same price. (Square Foot Area - not number of pieces) and the paint dificulty is lop-sided too. Can you explain why the prices are what they are?

ANSWER:
Nate - From your earlier questions about the price on the sewer floors: Please consider that our prices are based on many different cost related factors. The amount of material used in casting is important, but it’s not the only thing we need to consider. The number of strikes to get pieces out of the mold, handling of each individual piece, even counting for QC are all factors.

5. I was wondering if making the posts magnetic on the ends and having a metal plate in the floor would work. I would think this would allow for rooms to be configured in any way a builder wanted.

ANSWER (From the Comments):
Josh Chunick - I'm a huge proponent of magnets (you can see all my posts of the DF forum about them), but I think in this case it might not be the best solution. They would alleviate the need for pins and holes, but then others would complain that you would see the magnets... magnets can be embedded and covered over, but that introduces another issue. The force of the magnets doesn't really hold up as well when a sideways ("shearing"?) force is applied and that's most often the direction of force that's going to cause issues when building up.

Nate – Thanks Josh!

6. Is there any chance of a double door add-on for the dungeon tiles?

ANSWER:
Yes! It's definitely needed.

7. Can you clarify the size of the grid inside the 4x4 floors as well as the width of the boarder that the Walls sit on?

ANSWER:
Stefan - The inside of the house is 3x3 the walls are a little less wide than 1/2" but the grid is indicated as 1" so inside a single house is 3"x3"...put several together to make larger structures...when taking out the walls the two spaces left by the two walls you take out is 1" so if you put two buildings next to each other you have a space that is 3" x 7" is that clear?

8. Why aren't the 4x4 floor pieces reversible? Wood on one side, stone on the other. Would the dwarvenite wear away on the bottom?

ANSWER:
Too expensive to mold.

9. For free standing walls, please put something at the base to stop it falling over. The free standing KS1 walls fall very easily. The KS2 ones are a bit better, but I really need the free standing city ones to have something to stop them falling over if a butterfly coughs.

ANSWER:
Noted. Those coughing butterflies need to be slain!

10. The building on the right in the photo at top of the KS page is leaning both left and right. Is that a function of a rush building job, or use of pre-production pieces that are not as level and tight as they will, or (worst case) what the buildings will actually look like when built up 3-4 stories high?

ANSWER:
Bad prototypes. Everything was hand sanded and very irregular. Was a real pain in my ass.

11. Any info on composition of battlements add on?

ANSWER:
Nate - No beans for you on that. We are going to have a few different sets so you can get exactly what you need.

12. Do you know the number of Window Inserts are included in the Goal?

ANSWER:
Nate - you mean the number of closed shutter window inserts? I'm pretty sure it'll follow the same numbers as the open shutters

13. What was the old tile editor written in? Some kind of wacky Java? Ruby? Flash?

ANSWER:
Nate - I have no idea. But Steven is all over it. Can't wait to see his handiwork.

14. Possible to get a pic of 2x Monster Sewers.

ANSWER:
Nate - I couldn't get you your double Monster Sewer shot. We don't have enough prototypes :(

15. If I want to top a 4x4 building with the 2x2 battlements, how are they held up in the middle? Do we have to use a pillar? If so, will it be included in the battlements set?

ANSWER:
Either a pillar or another floor piece. We might have to include it in the battlements set. Thanks for the reminder.

16. Will the "mystery miniature" be available for purchase from the website?
(Jarrod) I really hope it's a statue of Stefan.
(Greatlich) Can we have Stefan's Statue in center of the Town Plaza?
(Grum) If the mystery mini is Gary Gygax I am in
(Rico) A Gary Gygax statue for the town square would be pretty cool.

ANSWER:
we're not sure where else it'll be available. And we won't reveal what it is yet :-)

17. Will the painted battlements have the moss on them?

ANSWER:
Yes. It's not flock though, it's textured and painted as part of the sculpt.

18. Are there going to be city walls as part of the battlement or are those separate?

ANSWER:
Yes. Simple town walls.

19. I'm very excited about the crenellation packs. Has there been a hint if there will be a monster version of it? Also any hints on how it's going to work?

ANSWER:
Several monster versions in the Castle Builder System. (Not this KS)

20. Love the battlements, though I am not sure how many I should get with the next Castle Builder System kickstarter... I don't want to be overloaded with them if they are one of the basic pieces in the base sets.

ANSWER:
You can never have too many battlements.

21. Any idea of what items are Kickstarter exclusive?

ANSWER:
Not yet.

22. I'd love to see the "Railing Walls," i.e. indoor railings to put in the wall slots. It makes for a great inn option upstairs. What about a half height wall too, not just an open railing?

ANSWER:
We love them too. Sit tight they're coming.

CLARIFICATION:
It's the locking into wall 'V' groove that would be cool. I've seen the basic railing, but locking into the 'V' grove with wood posts at each end to fill 'V' grove above half height wall or railing is a very good idea.

ANSWER:
Nate - The notched corner post offers TONS of possibilities. Can't wait to see what you personally come up with.

23. Would DF consider adding a chimney to the Cottage pledge level? And perhaps a set of shutters (one open, one closed)?

ANSWER:
Hadn't considered it but it would tie the house together.

24. Does anyone know whether we are getting two types of free balcony at 1M goal ? 1 type of Balcony for Tudor...How about the other one ?

ANSWER:
Nate - Only one style of free balcony at $1M. It's wood but works pretty well with the stone buildings.

25. Will there be any caverns stuff to add on?

ANSWER:
Nate - We have a couple Caverns Add-Ons we want to do. Just not sure where they'll fit in yet. This project is already massive and sprawling.

26. Will there be a leather bound tome containing Stefan's maps?

ANSWER:
Nate - Stefan has been talking about releasing his maps for years. There are tons of them. Enough for a small atlas. When that happens...who knows. He's deep in a sculpting hole right now.

27. Will there be alternative hole plugs for the sewer holes? (Grates, or broken grates?)

ANSWER:
Nate - we love the idea. But no room in this KS for it. Definitely a sewers expansion in the near future.

28. Will there be Walls Add-On Pack ?

ANSWER:
Yes

Return to “Kickstarter Updates”