Corner Posts

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Corner Posts

Post by Runeweaver » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:44 pm

LordDust wrote:
William wrote:
Mydienon wrote:William, why would we need the Double Post configuration in your design? It looks like the same effect could be achieved using two of your Wall Cap posts.
The only real reason would be to tie the two floors together and one piece is tidier than two. I'm not too concerned about the holes, they are pretty small. If they don't plan on making any others I will undoubtedly mod some of the ones I will be getting. I would just like to know if new posts are in the works, before I start cutting my posts up. :twisted:
I personally like the idea of tying floors together with posts. This may help allow for more interesting and fantastical construction of buildings, say for example a wizard's home or school with odd shape and some floating floors.
Oh....now that is a really cool idea. Kinda mind blowing actually. :o Now I'm thinking of all types of ideas. Wow, just think of the expansions that Stefan could do with this!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:06 am

Ohhh, i wonder if we could make Fallingwater...
use Caverns for the hillside and the City Builder pieces to cantilever out over...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:27 am

William wrote:
Mydienon wrote:William, why would we need the Double Post configuration in your design? It looks like the same effect could be achieved using two of your Wall Cap posts.
The only real reason would be to tie the two floors together and one piece is tidier than two. I'm not too concerned about the holes, they are pretty small. If they don't plan on making any others I will undoubtedly mod some of the ones I will be getting. I would just like to know if new posts are in the works, before I start cutting my posts up. :twisted:
I personally like the idea of tying floors together with posts. This may help allow for more interesting and fantastical construction of buildings, say for example a wizard's home or school with odd shape and some floating floors.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:16 pm

Mydienon wrote:
jchunick wrote:I'm curious about your idea for this. All I can think of is that if you plug the hole up with something then it has to sit flush because the reason to do it in the first place is aesthetic. The problem then becomes that you then will have a hard time getting the plug out.
At first I didn't understand your question--but now I see what you're saying. Plugging the hole in the floor with a "plug" means getting the plug out would be nearly impossible.

I apologize; I didn't clearly say what I meant by plugging something else into the floor holes. My thought was to have different objects with posts on them, which could be inserted into the floor holes. For example, rats, spiderwebs, debris, mold, slime, ashes, bones, skulls, weapons, etc.

Basically, something small that could conceivably be in the middle or in a corner of a room that wouldn't look out-of-place, and could be used multiple times in a large room or building without seeming odd or distracting....
I'm glad I asked. That's a great idea I hadn't thought of! :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:48 pm

jchunick wrote:I'm curious about your idea for this. All I can think of is that if you plug the hole up with something then it has to sit flush because the reason to do it in the first place is aesthetic. The problem then becomes that you then will have a hard time getting the plug out.
At first I didn't understand your question--but now I see what you're saying. Plugging the hole in the floor with a "plug" means getting the plug out would be nearly impossible.

I apologize; I didn't clearly say what I meant by plugging something else into the floor holes. My thought was to have different objects with posts on them, which could be inserted into the floor holes. For example, rats, spiderwebs, debris, mold, slime, ashes, bones, skulls, weapons, etc.

Basically, something small that could conceivably be in the middle or in a corner of a room that wouldn't look out-of-place, and could be used multiple times in a large room or building without seeming odd or distracting.

I can already cover the holes with large furnishings (columns, tables, chairs, floor rugs, treasure chests, etc.) so what I'd be looking for is something smaller and more subtle. If you play HeroQuest, something like the rats and skulls on posts that could be plugged into the holes on various furnishings to change their appearance.

For a flat plug, I could probably use a bit of grey or brown sand to fill in the hole, and just dump it out when no longer needed. I haven't really thought about it though. I'll have to experiment...

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:25 pm

Mydienon wrote:
EDIT: I'd also like something else I can plug into the floor holes, especially when they're in the middle of a large room. For now, I'll just arrange furnishings and rugs to cover them up.
I'm curious about your idea for this. All I can think of is that if you plug the hole up with something then it has to sit flush because the reason to do it in the first place is aesthetic. The problem then becomes that you then will have a hard time getting the plug out.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:58 am

William, why would we need the Double Post configuration in your design? It looks like the same effect could be achieved using two of your Wall Cap posts.

The 3-way double-post in Stefan's design allows for walls to be placed atop the edge of two floor pieces (which I like). However, that complicates the building process, because the 3-way double-posts will always have to be placed in pairs when a wall is used on the edge of two floor pieces (otherwise they won't line up).

If Stefan adds William's Wall Cap and Wood designs in KSIV, I'll definitely pick them up. The aesthetics of the current post choices gives buildings an unfinished or game-hack appearance, like a substitution of one thing for another during a game because you don't have (or can't find) the right piece for a game situation. That's okay...but if I have time to set up an awesome Dwarven Forge city scene before a game, I really want to have everything close to perfect.

And yes, I know I could make the Wall Cap and Wood posts with a knife and some paint, but I'd rather just buy them...

------

EDIT: I'd also like something else I can plug into the floor holes, especially when they're in the middle of a large room. For now, I'll just arrange furnishings and rugs to cover them up.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 am

Either way, I'll be making my own set of posts to fix this. I just got an idea this morning that those pegs used for cheap bookshelves might be the right diameter... I'll have to see when fulfillment happens.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:38 am

This is the first thing I noticed when looking at pictures in the update as well. :(

Super excited to get my sets, but I really hope we get a post update in the next kickstarter to get rid of these empty slots.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned