KS4 - Non-Castle add-ons / pieces

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS4 - Non-Castle add-ons / pieces

Post by Audles » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:49 pm

LadySabelle wrote:
Jonathan wrote: I recently picked up one set of Catacombs 1, and idly mentioned that the DF team was sculpting for KS4. My wife immediately suggested fully skeletal ossuary pieces. While perhaps a little too niche to be commercially possible, such pieces would be insanely badass.
Stuff like this?
I actually picked up some of your skull tiles a bit over a year or so ago and made my own ossuary. I'm not that skilled in making stuff, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I ended up gluing the foam box fillers from the Cards Against Humanity Bigger, Blacker Box together and facing them with the tiles. I filled in the top with clay plaster to give it a ground like feel and then glued in unassembled skeleton minis. It's not the BEST ossuary in the world, but my players enjoyed it as a marker piece. I've used it as a hidden entrance to a deeper tomb, too.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41 am

What about a CBS to dwarvenite passage transition piece? I also am +1 million percent for more variety in cavern and shoreline sculpts.

And again, more magnetic walls and accessories. If possible, magnetic tavern accessories with tables that had some metal in them so the stuff stayed on the table (but could still be easily removable) would be awesome; but I think with the recent tavern set in KS3 that's probably not an option. :(

Also, why not new dungeon and cavern floor sculpts? I could use some "ruins" for my dungeon floors and walls.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:34 pm

LadySabelle wrote:Stuff like this?
That's pretty sweet, not gonna lie. It's not quite as detailed as the mental image I had, although since I've never sculpted I really couldn't begin to think about how to get that image into reality.
Blue Prophet wrote:A Catacombs Wicked Additions mini pack of ossuaries would be very cool. Something in the $50-70 price range. That would be more of an accent set of a few pieces and less of an investment than a full expansion.
Yeah, I could see there being a smaller set called Catacombs 3, including a bone chandelier, bone fountain, and more skull piles.

To be realistic, the full-bone walls were probably discussed at DF as an option prior to the Catacombs resin set being released, and were probably vetoed in favor of a set that would be more compatible with basic dungeons and probably would be a little more common historically as well. That being said, the picture I linked earlier is pretty striking, though, and definitely would make an awesome set.

DarkAcroyear
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DarkAcroyear » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Audles wrote:A million plus ones to an ossuary.
Yah.

While I really want a good focus on the castles and variations for making different flavors of castles, I'd have to say 'x2 for the ossuary'.

I love the Catacomb sets, and Dwarvenite dungeon pieces resembling ossuary/catacombs pre-painted to look like something out of an Indiana Jones movie would be sweet!

Grimey, slimey, and viney!!

I hear the theme music now...

Alfred Molina is waiting to catch the golden Idol...

The players toss the McGuffin across the pit trap...

Critical fumble!!!

Characters are flattened by a rolling Dwarvenite stone!

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Runeweaver wrote:Oh, LadySabelle. I do like those! :shock:
Thanks. :) I was inspired by the Paris Catacombs. I had a blast making a 4' x 4' display using these tiles.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Oh, LadySabelle. I do like those! :shock:

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Jonathan wrote: I recently picked up one set of Catacombs 1, and idly mentioned that the DF team was sculpting for KS4. My wife immediately suggested fully skeletal ossuary pieces. While perhaps a little too niche to be commercially possible, such pieces would be insanely badass.
Stuff like this?
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 pm

A Catacombs Wicked Additions mini pack of ossuaries would be very cool. Something in the $50-70 price range. That would be more of an accent set of a few pieces and less of an investment than a full expansion.

Also +1 on ways to make Caverns look more organic/flowing, such as my idea for six new wall pieces of roughly 2x4 size that Smogma quoted above.

Also the super thin 2x2 ramp that goes from close to zero (1/16 inch?) to floor height would be very useful. The sculpture of the low side of the ramp would have to be super minimal, but there is the one cavern floor (C?) that is quite bare, it could work.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:40 pm

A million plus ones to an ossuary.

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:32 pm

My top pieces of interest (some of these have been mentioned by others)

KS1
Solid Double Square Column / Thick Free-standing Wall: A solid rectangular block with a footprint of 1" by 2", and a height of 1.625". The top would be sculpted similar to basic dungeon floors, and the sides would be scuplted like basic dungeon walls.

This piece would be highly modular:
1. New source of free-standing wall. It has been noted that outside of KS1 stretch goals, there's no way to obtain KS1 freestanding walls.
2. Better free-standing wall. The previous free-standing walls were sometimes hard to balance, leaving our displays with fallen walls after the slightest jostle. Making these an inch thick
3. Greater utility for narrow passageways. Currently, one can use the KS1 narrow passage piece as a sort of KS1 equivalent to the KS2 elevation piece, but it has a few drawbacks caused by the empty middle section, some aesthetic and some structural. The "Thick Free-Standing Wall" piece being suggested would fit right into the empty section of the KS1 narrow passageway, thus allowing folks who already have this piece to effectively convert it into a solid 2x2x2 elevation piece - which also means there would be no need to ever create a mold for a 2x2x2 elevation piece.

Misc dungeon dressing pieces: Torture Devices, Empty Bookcases, Books to go on bookcases, Potions to go on bookcases, Alchemy/Spellcrafting items to go on tables or floors, maps/scrolls to go on tables/floors, rubble matching the KS1 dungeon pieces

Quarter Columns: Both KS1 and KS2 could use the quarter column style of piece, as found in Catacombs 2.

Stone Doors: Rather than wood or metal.

Big Doors: A dungeon piece with a 4" by 2" footprint, containing a wall all along one side, which contains humongous double-doors that tower above all the other 2" tall DF pieces (as seen in Wicket Additions #3).

Jail Bar pieces (like in Master Maze Wicked Additions #3)

Freestanding fire wall pieces (also from Wicked Additions #3)

Ornate Entryway Pieces: As seen in various Master Maze Wicked Additions sets.

Big Stairs: This would be a dungeon-style equivalent to the large stair pieces found in the KS2 elevation pack (similar to a piece in... you guessed it: Wicked Additions #3).

Bridge: Suggested dimensions (as seen from above) would be 2" by 4", with a height of 2". The 'feet' of the bridge would measure 2" by 1", thus lying below the 1st and 4th quarters of the bridge piece, leaving the middle section for the archway.

The Thick Free-Standing Wall" could then be placed below the 'feet' of the bridge, thus allowing the bridge to be used as a tall archway.

Alternatively, one could leave off the bridge at its normal height, and instead one could place sets of the Big Stairs on either side of the bridge, thus allowing passage across.

I think I'd want to see the painting style for the bridge, thick free-standing wall, and big stairs pieces to match KS1, but when action being used I suspect I'd frequently use them with the KS2 caverns water pieces, and the KS3 sewer pieces.

KS3/CBS
Narrow Passage: This would be 2" wide, 4" long, and 2" tall. It would contain a narrow passageway, and would thus be like a longer version of the KS1 narrow passageway. It could come bundled with four of the 1" by 2" sidewalk pieces, thus allowing it to occupy a 4x4 area.

Part of the trick of the sculpt would be to make it so that existing CBS wall pieces with doorways could be used in conjunction with the narrow passageway piece, so you'd want the new piece to have a passageway wide enough to accommodate the width of the current existing doorways.

To go with the new CBS Narrow Passage, two new roof pieces:

Narrower Roof: This would be pitched like the existing roofs, except instead of the base being 4" x 4", the base would be 4" x 3" (or 4" x 2.5"). This roof would be able to set on top of the new CBS narrow passage piece and have a little bit of overhang. The new roof would also have the benefit of being usable on the Bridge of Valor, thus allowing a differently oriented roof on that bridge piece.

Dormer Window This would be shaped like a gable piece, but with smaller dimensions to allow it to line up with the Narrower Roof piece described above. This would allow the new narrower roof piece to seamlessly connect with existing roof pieces. The differently sized roofs would all variety and interest to the CBS landscape. As a fun benefit, the new gable-like piece could have a window painted on the vertical side. Then, if one doesn't want to use the piece to connect a fullsize roof to a small roof, they'd be able to use it as a beautiful dormer window.

Interior columns: Stone or wood: These would be columns designed to cover the four floor holes found in the middle of KS3 large open rooms. The base of the columns would be as wide as needed to cover these, and then it would very quickly taper into something about a half inch wide, going up to the height of the room. This piece would have the aesthetic benefit of covering the holes, and the structural benefit of allowing balcony floors to overhang. Existing corner posts do the latter already, but using them simply to cover holes seems to take up a bit of space.

Interior columns with lanterns: Same as above, but with lights!

Interior archways: For both stone and tudor. The stone would be a little bit more like a proper archway; the wood would be more of a beam stretching across.

Other
I recently picked up one set of Catacombs 1, and idly mentioned that the DF team was sculpting for KS4. My wife immediately suggested fully skeletal ossuary pieces. While perhaps a little too niche to be commercially possible, such pieces would be insanely badass.
Last edited by Jonathan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.