KS4 - Non-Castle add-ons / pieces

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS4 - Non-Castle add-ons / pieces

Post by Law » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:29 am

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the accessories. Two of my all-time favorite DF sets are the treasure and magic items set (those amphorae!) and the tavern accessory set. There have been ways to put a tavern together in the past - not elaborate, but you could do it. But with DF, we got little tiny mugs of ale, little plates of food, little candles, little bottles of wine.... amazing.

I love the little details that KSIII included -- light up torches! Shields hanging on the walls! Opening sewer grates! And the sculpts of the "basic" building elements have great details too -- moss or tufts of grass growing on the stone, tiles missing from the roofs, soot around the chimneys. Awesome.

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:18 am

I really like the free-standing city wall idea. The following 3 walls would let me build a lot:
  • Full (3 inch) wall
    Full (3 inch) wall with door
    Short (1.5 or 2 inch) wall
The regular city walls can work as free-standing walls, but they end in a bevelled point instead of a flat edge. I would also like to see magnets in one or both ends of the longer free-standing walls. That would allow them to attach onto the inside of the metal-lined walls for more stability. I think that there could be a flexible system there of long free-standing walls with magnets, and short walls and posts with metal.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:47 am

lostpict wrote:DF has the market data to figure out what will create the most profit and momentum based on the three KS and their store sales and I assume will offer us what will keep DF in business and healthy.
Very true

I myself hope accessories are good profit makers for DF because like kitenerd, I love the detailed accessories and what they can bring to a set up. And while I can get metal, plastic or even resin if I must from other sources I really have enjoyed the Dwarvenite accessories so far.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:59 pm

Also let me add...

What Stefan enjoys making. I may not buy it but I like looking at it.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:54 pm

I will probably buy every terrain product that DF produces. To me the terrain is the unique value proposition that will expand the DF market penetration the most. Its what I cannot get anywhere else. OBTW, I include in the terrain things like lighted and magnetic bits, unique items which furnish my dungeon and towns. Books, minis, modules, etc., are cool but pretty low on my list if I was planning the next product suites.

That said, DF has the market data to figure out what will create the most profit and momentum based on the three KS and their store sales and I assume will offer us what will keep DF in business and healthy.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:52 pm

Different strokes for different folks.

I am not pretending to speak for more than myself.
Last edited by dice4hire on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 pm

dice4hire wrote:I do know I hope KSIV does not have tons of accessories or minis. Getting miniatures and accessories is really easy elsewhere, but getting dwarvenite terrain elsewhere is impossible.
Couldn't disagree more. The magic is in the details. What makes these cities sing is the minis, carts, fruit stands, lion etc. They MAKE the city come alive. I want MORE rather than less.

The terrain is a given (and easy to justify because people buy 5, 10 or 20 sets). I want to say LOUDLY that we value the addons just as much. Sadly no one will ever buy 20 tavern accessories sets, but that does not diminish their importance.

I love Law's list -
On the topic of stone stairways, a LARGE stone stairway for a formal room or an exterior where the entrance is one level above the city would be awesome.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:49 am

geekjeff wrote:
AnimeSensei wrote:
dice4hire wrote:I do know I hope KSIV does not have tons of accessories or minis. Getting miniatures and accessories is really easy elsewhere, but getting dwarvenite terrain elsewhere is impossible.
I disagree; I would rather have dwarvenite accessories than resin or especially metal due to fragility and paint durability.
Have you heard about this little company called Reaper, which makes some PVC minis called Bones?

I believe they may have run a Kickstarter or three. ;)

Actually I kid, I do love the Dwarven Forge minis (especially hose Sandra Garrety ratmen) but the expense molds for Dwarvenite does seem better applied to pieces which each customer is going to buy dozens or hundreds of, rather than minis most would buy 1 or 2 of.
There is a certain logic to that.

However, the reality is that there's a whole world called Mythras that Stefan has now begun to take from his mind and the drawings he has done, and build it into the world you are just starting to see realized in KS3; the model for it being the vast city of Valoria. That world isn't just populated with buildings and structures, but people and wonderous creatures.

If you count all the unique pieces in KS3 I think it'd be safe to argue that the number and variety didn't seem to suffer with the addition of miniatures that were specifically made for the sewers and town of Valoria.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:31 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
I disagree; I would rather have dwarvenite accessories than resin or especially metal due to fragility and paint durability.
Have you heard about this little company called Reaper, which makes some PVC minis called Bones?

I believe they may have run a Kickstarter or three. ;)

Actually I kid, I do love the Dwarven Forge minis (especially hose Sandra Garrety ratmen) but the expense molds for Dwarvenite does seem better applied to pieces which each customer is going to buy dozens or hundreds of, rather than minis most would buy 1 or 2 of.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:03 am

A few more ideas...

1) This was obvious, and has been discussed elsewhere, but I forgot to include it on my list: a post-cap. Just a simple piece that plugs into exposed posts for when you don't use a full wall. A hole-cap is useful, too, but sometimes you'll want the support of a post without a wall attached to it.

There could be plain caps that blend in with walls, or decorative ones like statues or columns to add flourish to a room. How cool would it be to have a long stone chamber, dotted at regular intervals by magnificent columns "built in" to the walls?

2) Free-standing walls. This may be a work-around for the people wanting a 2x2 footprint. It's more flexible -- if you stick a 2x2 piece in this system, it requires you to place another 2x2 somewhere to balance it out. You can work more easily by placing walls where you want - we've got them for KS1, and it would allow people to make a large interior room out of regular CBS pieces, and then carve it up however they want into smaller spaces more easily.

3) River pieces. Same basic template as the water and lava tiles from KS2, but designed to look like a river in a city. So many cities have rivers running through them (Boston, London, New York -- etc.) and while, sure, you could approximate that by placing a canal like in the KS video, it'd be great to have a river that isn't obviously a cavern river. And, even better, a river that doesn't require an elevated build -- something with proper banks (like a small half-wall or something) that goes well next to the sidewalk or road tiles.

4) If we get a river, then of course we need a free-standing bridge that can cross the river.

These last two introduce all sorts of awesome aesthetic possibilities, but they also present great gaming options. A bridge is an obvious objective for a wargaming session, it can play a key political role, it can be a revenue-stream for the characters with political clout (enough to charge a toll for it), it can also make a great point for a battle stand-off. And it can also divide sister cities (like Boston v. Cambridge) so you can have a whole different kind of urban scenario, where two cities are right next to each other but have completely different political structures, policing forces, etc. Lots of options if you can split a city in half with a river.

Plus, you could combine river pieces to make a mid-river island, for a Notre Dame cathedral kinda location. Lots of options here.