Regluing magnets to magnetic pieces

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Regluing magnets to magnetic pieces

Post by biowizard » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:20 pm

For epoxy, I like the "slow cure" version such as this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _5_oz.html

The fact that both bottles are kept separate and have their own cap makes it that I've had the same bottles for many years (with regular use) without it "drying" on me. A "must" in my opinion for a hobbyist.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:46 am

Is this what is also recommended for loose pins in the posts?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:08 am

DFSuzy wrote:Hey there,

I don't really recommend the regular Gorilla Glue, as it tends to bubble up a bit during the curing process and can leave some unwanted remnants around the magnet, making it sit unevenly. You could probably trim off any excess with an xacto knife, but the glue dries very hard, and you could risk injuring yourself (or, at least, *I* would) or possibly damaging the piece. If you can find the 2-part epoxy, that is really what we think is the best solution. It is clear, so if you make a mess with it, it won't be quite as noticeable.

PVC cement should work as well, but that stuff is very messy, too. I haven't actually tried it, though, so I am not sure how well it will stick to the magnet, honestly. I have tried the epoxy and it works like a charm!

The 2-part epoxy is available online through several retailers, so if you live in an area where this is hard to find, maybe you can order it.

It looks like this:

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-epoxy

Thanks much!

Suzy
Awesome, thanks for the info and quick response Suzy!

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:27 am

Hey there,

I don't really recommend the regular Gorilla Glue, as it tends to bubble up a bit during the curing process and can leave some unwanted remnants around the magnet, making it sit unevenly. You could probably trim off any excess with an xacto knife, but the glue dries very hard, and you could risk injuring yourself (or, at least, *I* would) or possibly damaging the piece. If you can find the 2-part epoxy, that is really what we think is the best solution. It is clear, so if you make a mess with it, it won't be quite as noticeable.

PVC cement should work as well, but that stuff is very messy, too. I haven't actually tried it, though, so I am not sure how well it will stick to the magnet, honestly. I have tried the epoxy and it works like a charm!

The 2-part epoxy is available online through several retailers, so if you live in an area where this is hard to find, maybe you can order it.

It looks like this:

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-epoxy

Thanks much!

Suzy

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:23 am

Saxon1974 wrote:Just got my stone set today and the magnet on a gable came off. Curious if you recommend original gorilla glue? Reason I ask is I already have some. Is the epoxy that much better?
If I'm not mistaken Gorilla Glue brand actually has a separate PVC glue. I don't think their standard stuff is the best choice for this application. Most glues will have a hard time holding onto either the magnet or the plastic. Certain ones will do a decent to good job on both. I'd go for the epoxy myself, but super glue will hold temporarily.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 am

Just got my stone set today and the magnet on a gable came off. Curious if you recommend original gorilla glue? Reason I ask is I already have some. Is the epoxy that much better?

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:28 am

AnimeSensei wrote:I had some JB Weld left over from when my grill handle came off and it worked fine on my gables; I just made sure not to use too much because it does have a gray/metal appearance. (and the grill handle is still firmly attached after 2+ years as well)

I preach the word of JB Weld for just about everything that is broken! (It has actually become some weird inside joke with my brother and me ... he fixes his drum equipment with it all the time.)

Good to see another in the know!

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:26 am

Mydienon wrote:Do you use the epoxy only between the magnet and the gable, or do you also put a layer of epoxy over the exposed magnet and extend the epoxy further across the gable surface? If the latter, will it significantly affect the strength of the magnet?

My simple piece of packing tape across the magnet is still holding fine after a few days of playing around with the KS3 pieces. I'll switch to the epoxy solution, but I may keep that tape across the top just for an extra layer of protection.

I don't think it is necessary to use that much of it. Too much could push the magnet out and make it uneven when it is attached to the roof. Just a bit between the magnet and housing should be fine.

Thanks!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Mydienon wrote:Do you use the epoxy only between the magnet and the gable, or do you also put a layer of epoxy over the exposed magnet and extend the epoxy further across the gable surface? If the latter, will it significantly affect the strength of the magnet?

My simple piece of packing tape across the magnet is still holding fine after a few days of playing around with the KS3 pieces. I'll switch to the epoxy solution, but I may keep that tape across the top just for an extra layer of protection.
You really should be able to do it either way, just be careful to end up with a flat surface so your gable rests properly. You can use the dirt cheap plastic drywall putty knives (less than a dollar to buy) or even popsicle sticks to work it a bit before it sets if need be. If it goes over the top it will add a bit of strength once it cures. It should not affect the strength of the magnet worth noticing unless you layer it on really thick (which wouldn't really affect the strength, but would increase distance which would affect how far into the field the plate would be).

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:47 am

Do you use the epoxy only between the magnet and the gable, or do you also put a layer of epoxy over the exposed magnet and extend the epoxy further across the gable surface? If the latter, will it significantly affect the strength of the magnet?