3 Sewer Build

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
whyteshark
Goblin
Goblin

Re: 3 Sewer Build

Post by whyteshark » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:18 am

Love the builds. Can't wait to get mine.

I have 1 Monster Sewer set coming. Now that I have seen some builds, thinking I have really limited myself.

Would it be better to get another Sewer set or two (about $200CA/Monster Set + S&H) or get some Walls and Sluice ways instead?
James Gordon, Professor of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Yep, thats what I concluded too. But I didn't want the ratio of sluice/wall in the Monster Sewer - I needed a radically different ratio so buying the add-on boxes let me get where I needed to be.

Potent argument for DwF's method of doing the add-on's BTW! Two customers with very different needs, each able to get their under existing options.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:53 pm

I found out when looking at the math that Sluice + Walls + Walls was pretty much a monster sewers anyway. So I just went with the big boxes.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Concur. My reason for buying only 1 Mon Sewer had to do with the parts mix I needed, not the total quantity.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:07 pm

GODofwar wrote:
ForestZ wrote:This confirms my earlier assessment that 3 is the minimum you want of anything DF. I only got 2 KS1 sets initially, and learned it wasn't quite enough. I made the same mistake with KS2, but fortunately picked up a 3rd on eBay for less than KS prices, and 3 is perfect. I went with 3 (Village) for KS3 and eventually bought a KS1 set from DF store bringing me up to 3.

I knew looking at monster sewers that you would need at least 2 to do something useful with it other than a very small encounter space, and seeing 3 here I see that's still the "sweet spot" in number of sets. I'm going to have to cast a lot more of my own sewer pieces before I have enough to compare to this.
Agreed, but it looked to me like buying a Mon Sewer and then bulk add-on packs of walls and sluices was a cheaper and more flexible option. Bottom line, I ended up with about 150 sluice pieces and an equal number of walls (which is fine b/c I planned all along to have significant stretches of sewer running along the outside of dungeon/KS II walls). Enough Sewer Floor to make a lot of 'sewer sidewalk' where I need it, which will not be most places...I like to make PC wade through the sewer...

My goal was to be able to run single sewer lines to four or five different places on a 5x10 fly board. I can do that.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
Right, but you still ended up getting a similar amount of pieces. My comment was more in relating to minimum number of pieces that are useful. One Monster Sewer worth of pieces is about as useful as one set of KS1 tiles (ie. not very). Two becomes a little bettere, but three sets worth seems to be about where you really start feeling like you can do interesting things with any of the sets that aren't just tiny little encounter spaces.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:03 pm

ForestZ wrote:This confirms my earlier assessment that 3 is the minimum you want of anything DF. I only got 2 KS1 sets initially, and learned it wasn't quite enough. I made the same mistake with KS2, but fortunately picked up a 3rd on eBay for less than KS prices, and 3 is perfect. I went with 3 (Village) for KS3 and eventually bought a KS1 set from DF store bringing me up to 3.

I knew looking at monster sewers that you would need at least 2 to do something useful with it other than a very small encounter space, and seeing 3 here I see that's still the "sweet spot" in number of sets. I'm going to have to cast a lot more of my own sewer pieces before I have enough to compare to this.
Agreed, but it looked to me like buying a Mon Sewer and then bulk add-on packs of walls and sluices was a cheaper and more flexible option. Bottom line, I ended up with about 150 sluice pieces and an equal number of walls (which is fine b/c I planned all along to have significant stretches of sewer running along the outside of dungeon/KS II walls). Enough Sewer Floor to make a lot of 'sewer sidewalk' where I need it, which will not be most places...I like to make PC wade through the sewer...

My goal was to be able to run single sewer lines to four or five different places on a 5x10 fly board. I can do that.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Bigger pics, I hope
Day 2 Sewers 1__1453930392_180.51.237.250.jpg
Day 2 Sewers 1__1453930392_180.51.237.250.jpg (33.45 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
Day 2 Sewers 2__1453930408_180.51.237.250.jpg
Day 2 Sewers 2__1453930408_180.51.237.250.jpg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:15 pm

This confirms my earlier assessment that 3 is the minimum you want of anything DF. I only got 2 KS1 sets initially, and learned it wasn't quite enough. I made the same mistake with KS2, but fortunately picked up a 3rd on eBay for less than KS prices, and 3 is perfect. I went with 3 (Village) for KS3 and eventually bought a KS1 set from DF store bringing me up to 3.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:28 am

GODofwar wrote:Dice4Hire, you show an interesting difference in intent for sewers.

My idea is that the sewers spread out underthe city above, with each line serving a separate area - and LOTS of 'green space' (well, black space in this case) betwen sewer lines. Maybe a big room like a Roman cloaca maxima where it all gets processed and dumped, but that's it.

I like the idea of PC not having a clue where they are in relation to the World Above - odd angles and weird twists and turns preventing that.

Let me add a clarification: My system is to have the city above on 2x2.5' wooden plates, each removable, so when the PC go Down Below, I will remove that one plate and then cover the remaining City with cloth so the players have no reference to the city.

This will work loads better once I get my mini-cameras and computer system in place. Then the players will only be able to see what their PC can see.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
Little remote control cars with cameras?

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 am

Dice4Hire, you show an interesting difference in intent for sewers.

My idea is that the sewers spread out underthe city above, with each line serving a separate area - and LOTS of 'green space' (well, black space in this case) betwen sewer lines. Maybe a big room like a Roman cloaca maxima where it all gets processed and dumped, but that's it.

I like the idea of PC not having a clue where they are in relation to the World Above - odd angles and weird twists and turns preventing that.

Let me add a clarification: My system is to have the city above on 2x2.5' wooden plates, each removable, so when the PC go Down Below, I will remove that one plate and then cover the remaining City with cloth so the players have no reference to the city.

This will work loads better once I get my mini-cameras and computer system in place. Then the players will only be able to see what their PC can see.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod