DF's Painted Townspeople!

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: DF's Painted Townspeople!

Post by GODofwar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:46 am
GODofwar wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Oh where to start!?

Making up words again ? 'alphbetinzing'

'any fig can be painted quickly to look decent enough for the wargames table'

So tempting to take umbrage over this casual dismissal of Wargamer painting. But decided it was not meant that way :)
And its true, for arms length viewing, base coats and an Army painter dip style wash does the trick nicely :)
We however want ours to stand up to closer scrutiny, whether we actually achieve that is debateable, but we will spend well over a week painting and basing a single Death Guard squad (roughly 10-15 hours).
Probably because our non-opposable paws make our painting sloppy and we are constantly touching up ;)

If your looking to get shot of some o your minis then I am sure you can clear a few through the forum, while a lot of long timers will have truck loads of their own, there are always those just starting out in the hobby and there may even be a few gems that hardened collectors may go for.
Alphbetinzing - You have any idea how hard it is for a God to keep a decent secretary?? some nonsense about divine aura making their hair all frizzy...

You caught my meaning. I envy good painters but ain't one (def not the God of Art!!) and WG quality is all I can (barely) manage. Fortunately I'm a gamer not a collector. I haven't a Rabbit's patience for spending 1.5 hours on a fig.. more power to you, Rabbit. ANd yes, Army Painter (bless 'em, and I remind the audience they are a British company!) b/c their paints cut the time to make a WG quality unit in HALF, and probagbly by 25% for a single fig...

When I'm done I'l probably publish just to trade.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:46 am

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
I finally got round to magnetizing/alphbetinzing/cataloging my 25mm figs. Keep in mind we mostly do 15mm and I got into 25 just to have 'a few' for use with DwF when I wanted in-scale ops. I never tracked how many I was getting, just shoved them into parts boxes.

Now they are in my mapcase drawer. I have six drawers (yes, the big map cases). The first drawer, the one I just finished, has about 4-500 figs in it. So I have 2500-3000 figs. FORTUNATELY, lots of civilians. But I could use more of those. Maybe I'll publish my catalog when I get done and link here for trades......mailing 25mm figs is cheap. I've a drawer and a half of NPC-character type figs, and 4 drawers of Monsters. I love the DwF civvies, but truth is, any fig can be painted quickly to look decent enough for the wargames table.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
Oh where to start!?

Making up words again ? 'alphbetinzing'

'any fig can be painted quickly to look decent enough for the wargames table'

So tempting to take umbrage over this casual dismissal of Wargamer painting. But decided it was not meant that way :)
And its true, for arms length viewing, base coats and an Army painter dip style wash does the trick nicely :)
We however want ours to stand up to closer scrutiny, whether we actually achieve that is debateable, but we will spend well over a week painting and basing a single Death Guard squad (roughly 10-15 hours).
Probably because our non-opposable paws make our painting sloppy and we are constantly touching up ;)

If your looking to get shot of some o your minis then I am sure you can clear a few through the forum, while a lot of long timers will have truck loads of their own, there are always those just starting out in the hobby and there may even be a few gems that hardened collectors may go for.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
The DF Townspeople were the first civilians we ever bought and they get used so much :)
We too loved that the paint schemes were different for the same sculpts.

Would be very happy for DF to do more - maybe in the mythical minis KS !?

Our desire is for outdoors civilians, market traders, carvans etc. Appreciate that you RPGers have a need for indoor civilians.
I finally got round to magnetizing/alphbetinzing/cataloging my 25mm figs. Keep in mind we mostly do 15mm and I got into 25 just to have 'a few' for use with DwF when I wanted in-scale ops. I never tracked how many I was getting, just shoved them into parts boxes.

Now they are in my mapcase drawer. I have six drawers (yes, the big map cases). The first drawer, the one I just finished, has about 4-500 figs in it. So I have 2500-3000 figs. FORTUNATELY, lots of civilians. But I could use more of those. Maybe I'll publish my catalog when I get done and link here for trades......mailing 25mm figs is cheap. I've a drawer and a half of NPC-character type figs, and 4 drawers of Monsters. I love the DwF civvies, but truth is, any fig can be painted quickly to look decent enough for the wargames table.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:16 pm

The DF Townspeople were the first civilians we ever bought and they get used so much :)
We too loved that the paint schemes were different for the same sculpts.

Would be very happy for DF to do more - maybe in the mythical minis KS !?

Our desire is for outdoors civilians, market traders, carvans etc. Appreciate that you RPGers have a need for indoor civilians.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Mirliton Miniatures has a medieval kitchen diorama kit. It has many figures working in a large kitchen.

http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php ... orama-kits

There are also a few small dioramas sellers of meats - beef, mutton, pork - with butchers and slabs of meat.

They are in the historical 25-28 mm diorama kits.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 pm

There's also variation in skin tones and even a bit of varied facial hair, here's a photo of mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0l12wdvsx5xu ... 9.jpg?dl=0

(I will say the paint job is overall fairly rough. But they are tabletop ready and the variations make them distinct, so I'm happy! I think they will go a long way to fleshing out a village scene.)

While I'm typing: does anyone have recs for any minis of women spinning or weaving or sewing or doing food preparation? Churning, baking, etc. I have the Zealot spinning wheel so just a generic seated female mini would also do for that at least!

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:52 pm

The colors used on the clothing has two variations. It was a way to really stretch the sculpts out and give you more for your money. Definitely worth getting painted on the townsfolk!
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:41 am

Were they much different? I will have to go look more closely at some I have.

astolat
Orc
Orc

DF's Painted Townspeople!

Post by astolat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:54 am

I just got a set of these, and was surprised and very happy to discover that the two copies of each figure are painted differently from one another! I was expecting to have to customize the second set and am even happier with them, so wanted to mention for anyone else sitting on the fence that they are all unique paints even if the figures are duplicates! :D