Cost of Dwarvenite?

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Teulisch
Orc
Orc

Re: Cost of Dwarvenite?

Post by Teulisch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:23 am

oil price is a symptom, not a cause. currently inflation is caused in large part by the amount of money that the US printed recently, as well as fed monetary policy (they aim for 2% inflation).

the reason why the fed wants inflation has to do with how they monitor and manipulate various factors. every tool the fed has to manipulate the economy has a side effect of inflation, and they can measure expected inflation by looking at how people invest in two types of government bonds with different payouts. if we have deflation, then they cant see how much of a negative impact is occurring when they use those tools. the inflation in the 70's was because of over-use of said tools. (yes, economics is the dismal science)

DF prices will only continue to go up over time, simply because of inflation and rising costs of living. for prices to go down, we would need to see either a better economy of sale (kickstarter), or a change to a cheaper material (dwarvenite). and the kickstarter costs more than you think it does, because of the present value of money.

if we want cheaper game tiles, then we must continue to back kickstarters for DF. because those are the cheapest high-quality game terrain you can find.
25 resin sets, 5 KS1 sets, 5 KS2 sets, KS3 Village/Sewer/Streets

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:51 am

The way I heard it explainedf is that if OPEC pulls back production and increase oil cost it makes fracking more attractive, which means more investment in it, which means better tech and cheaper fracking. They want their oil to be cheaper so that fracking stalls. They're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. That, and if I remember correctly they aren't fond of Russia. The low price of oil is really hurting them right now, so a fringe benefit to their strategy to undercut fracking.

If the prices hold lower or drop a bit longer, we will see some lower prices on a number of consumer goods, but as others have said the variance will depend on a number of factors. Dwarvenite is unlikely to significantly impacted.

Thenorthman
Orc
Orc

Post by Thenorthman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:58 pm

We produce a little more than a bit now.

We are one of the largest net exporters out there right now.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... king-saudi

Which is why the price of oil is depressed. Normally the Saudi's would cut back production but they know their pickets are deeper for producing it. Oil in the US is expensive to drill right now.

So yea a little more than a little bit and a bit more than be a "small fry" in the oil market. :O)

Burgundy Lotus
Goblin
Goblin

Re:Cost of Dwarvenite?

Post by Burgundy Lotus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 am

I work at a place that makes the plastic bulk food bins (among other things) and yes the price of oil does affect the cost of the acrylic sheets we use but given all the other factors that go into the production, shipping and storage of dwarvenite the savings would be too small to worry about passing on to the consumer. I'd be surprised if it was more then a cent or two on each piece and only seen if the price stayed low for several months as (at least in our industry) the price is adjusted monthly from what I'm told.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:38 am

I am not an economist.

But I believe if inflation continues our money is worth less.

And if oil stayed low for 5 years it would more than likely be caused by a depression meaning that even if inflation was negative our pay would likely not be raised and more than likely would be lowered.

But as I said I am not an economist.

jimibones83
Orc
Orc

Post by jimibones83 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:49 am

This is off topic, but why would our money he worth less if the price of oil stayed down? 15 years ago the prices of oils were far less than now, and our money was worth a great deal more. We produce a bit of oil, but we are far from being a big player at that table. I don't think it would affect our dollar at all, but that's just my thoughts. I'm no expert.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:32 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:

Apparently we have low oil prices for next while; think this will translate to cheaper dwarvenite prices in DFKS3?

I do not think it will because IMHO it is not the material that adds the cost it is the molds, painting packing and shipping. The shipping would go down but only if DF's shippers could quote shipping prices a year ahead and fuel surcharges go up and down way faster than that. Now if oil stayed low for five years then I think Dwarvenite would be cheaper but then our money would be worth less also IMHO.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Cost of Dwarvenite?

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Apparently we have low oil prices for next while; think this will translate to cheaper dwarvenite prices in DFKS3?
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”