The new product listing is a bad idea

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Xintao
Kobold
Kobold

Re:The new product listing is a bad idea

Post by Xintao » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I think your post title is not correct. Listing new products is never a bad idea. However it could be done better. I agree a photo showing all the pieces you get in a given set is WAY better than just one photo of each piece.

Retail 101, remove as many barriers as possible between the customer and hitting that "buy" button. Real or mental. You want to make it easy as pie for the customer to understand what he is getting.

If your new customer has to research what it is, that is a huge barrier to a lot of people. Most people will walk away rather than create a forum account to ask a few questions.

The phenomenon can generally be thought of as following a “90-9-1 rule,” where 90% of users are “lurkers” that read and observe but don’t contribute, 9% of users contribute only occasionally, and 1% of users make the majority of postings in any one network

BTW, I love the new set compositions. If DF puts up some unpainted sets, I will buy them instantly, the wife be damned. Sorry honey.

Cheers, Xin
Xintao

jls304
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jls304 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:17 am

If anything now is the time you want to get it right.... when you actually have the items in stock and a huge buzz going after your recent kick starter.

If someone has to make a forum account just figure out what they are buying then it's a failure. I'm just trying to help Dwarven Forge out not unfairly blast them. If the point of a business is to grow then that new customer base is what you want to go after(without neglecting your existing customers of course).

Also there needs to be some explanation as to how Dwarvenite compares to resin. What's the differences and advantages of both. The store is too
confusing for someone that just came to this website.

jimibones83
Orc
Orc

Post by jimibones83 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:22 am

Lol... Note to self, don't promote brvheart to management.

brvheart
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by brvheart » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:15 am

I think at the moment at least 80% of their sales will be from existing customers who know what these pieces are. For the new customer, they always have the option of posting on the forum and someone will lead them in the right direction. I am sure once their focus is more on new customers the listings will be more geared to them. They are just starting to put the new KS II material on line, give them a break.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:18 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:

Right now the obscurity is a barrier to entry for a new customer.

I completely agree. I started collecting Dwarven Forge just after the first Kickstarter hit the store. When I first checked the site, everything was classified as Master Maze or Game Tiles. I had no idea what that meant, and it put me off buying for months. I even ended up buying a bunch of stuff off ebay first because I could more easily tell what I was getting there.

Yes, one can Google around and figure out the difference, but as a potential new customer that need to do research to figure out what I was getting was very nearly more hassle than it was worth.

The new classifications of Dwarvenite vs Classic Resin are better, but the site would be well served to have those headers link to a brief explanation of what each of those mean. If a goal of the Kickstarters is to bring in new customers, making it as easy as possible for those customers is important.

Similarly, while the new pictures look nice, they badly under-represent what the purchase will get the buyer. It would be extremely easy for a new buyer to see a picture of ten pieces for $85 and decide not to buy without ever reading in the product description that the set actually has, what, 27 pieces. For Catacombs 2, I did that myself. I did not buy a set when it came out because the picture didn't have the four corner pieces shown and I didn't notice them in the description. For that matter, the picture still doesn't have the sarcophagus.

I love Dwarven Forge products and hope the company does well so I can keep buying new sets. To that end, making ordering more new customer friendly would be a good step.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Yes, but for the new buyer, they have no idea as they didn't follow the KS and don't have tile bottoms to look at. It should be more clear.

Right now the obscurity is a barrier to entry for a new customer.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

brvheart
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by brvheart » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:17 pm

I like the new mix and figured out what was which pretty quickly, if in doubt look at the bottom of your tiles. The number is there. Not that I can afford to get more any time soon, especially painted.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:23 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:

Also, I would advise not showing the prototype Lava River pieces when people are going to get the factory painted ones that look significantly different enough to cause potential concern.

+1

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:54 am

Also, I would advise not showing the prototype Lava River pieces when people are going to get the factory painted ones that look significantly different enough to cause potential concern.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jls304
Ogre
Ogre

The new product listing is a bad idea

Post by jls304 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:31 am

I think you would be much better off using a picture showing exactly what
you will be getting in each set. How do I know what floor tile C is or alternate wall B is ? If you at least labeled which piece was which piece it might be better but still I think this is not a good way to display the sets.

IMHO of course....

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”