IMPORTANT REQUEST re: KS 3 inventory plans

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: IMPORTANT REQUEST re: KS 3 inventory plans

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 20, 2015 12:52 pm

DwF Staff:

Costs of KS and pledge managers can't be minimal. HOw much would it cost you to accept pre-orders via credit card, using your existing web storefront?

As I'm sure you know, this is what a lot of smaller hobby makers do, especially board game makers. Once you reach enough to place an order with China, you can combine restock with guaranteed orders.

I wonder if this would not work in PLACE of kickstarter?

just a though.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

cebo7590
Kobold
Kobold

Post by cebo7590 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:19 pm

Another idea besides simply preordering is a layaway system where you can put everything in a cart and place it on layaway and receive some % off shipping. This would allow DF to see what the popular items are when ordering from China as well as allowing people to "chunk" large purchases over months instead of all upfront. It would save shipping costs for customers and DF as well opening up the market to those with limited income. Sure 150$ is a lot to fork out in one month, but if you could spread it out over three months of 50$ increments? Suddenly that becomes much more reasonable

stratocumulus
Kobold
Kobold

Post by stratocumulus » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:45 pm

I am a DM in San Francisco, and it never fails to wow my players when I pull out the Dwarven Forge pieces in order to create a dungeon scene, etc.

I too would like to see a pre-order system set up for products featured by DF.
I don't mind prepaying for items, so long as I can get them in the end.

I dearly would like to get some painted curved KS1 dungeon pieces (and some others).

I thought that by helping to create the steel molds for dwarvenite production through the KS campaigns that we would be setting the stage for getting their product out to a wider audience by having them be more easily available for sale not less.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:37 am

I would also assume the profit margin is higher with less backers; it costs more to have a new shipment go to a backer than to increase the weight on an existing order if someone just buys more. This may not be the case with the sheer amount of molds they needed this time, however.

As someone who underwrites businesses day in, day out, I would be fascinated to see DF's financials over the past few years and see inventory turn comparisons, etc.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

teazia
Goblin
Goblin

Post by teazia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:52 am

KS is much akin to DFs old preorder system, just on a much larger scale. While it is dynamic, stressful, of differing quality and takes a bit longer to fulfull, it is essentially the same process. Order stuff (uncancellable!) to be manufactured in China and fulfilled from a warehouse in Tennessee (IIRC). Get PVC at 1996 resin prices.

A nice byproduct of the new paradigm is that DF has some very nice steel molds resulting. It seems DF has yet to find a way to properly monetize them over the long term, but it is rinsing and repeating its embiggened SOP. Stefano seems rather content with his current lifestyle and productivity and Jay may or may not be, so they seem pretty happy to keep the train rolling as is.

The only matter they should keep an eye on is the backer numbers, especially new backers. In the interview I listed earlier, Stefano stated their prior to KS1 market was about 500 people IIRC. 2,719 is getting alot closer to 500, and moving noticeably away from 5,398. Of course, $2,359,260 is a good bit larger than $1,908,155 so it is a matter of relatively. Something to keep an eye on though.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:44 pm

My oldest Offspring's DF group (BTW, I write 'Dwarven Forge' as DwF because we play a 38-year old home rules set I call Dragonfire, abbreviated 'DF') just used without permission a momorabilia glass, then broke it by putting it on the floor (where they have been told NEVER to put ANYTHING....)

Rage in the machine.

But they never break DwF stuff!

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:57 am

I think a preorder system would do brilliantly. With just a month or two of lead time many customers would be able to save enough to order at least one set. While resin is not my highest priority (my daughter can't use it, she already can break hard plastic toys, it will have to wait til she's older; I also have players that I won't even trust with furniture I like, never mind resin), I would still like to own some DF resin and would make use of it. The only resin pieces I currently own are not of DF make and while nice, are not as nice as most of the work put out by DF (IMO).

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:28 am

I'd like to see them go back to the pre-order thing they were doing 5-6 years ago. (Yes I've been digging through the DF News subforum "archive")

I'd be happy to front some (ok, ok, a lot of...) cash to get a few sets of OOP resin. I'm already, in effect, doing that with current and last KS...

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:40 pm

It wouldn't hurt however to partner with certain major retailers. Maybe not put DF in every store, but have the option available for store owners interested or perhaps partnering with Paizo or something.

Heck, even selling on Amazon for 5-10% over prices here would probably drive sales and cover their extra selling fees.

I would however only sell limited edition sets here on the website to avoid nerd rage from sets no longer being available and no way to figure out which store bought what and if it's still available.

Exposure is exposure.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:30 pm

pacarat wrote:One issue i see with an ebay store is the cut ebay would take on every sale.
Yah, I would not go eBay when he already has a storefront.

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”