Lava Caverns (Finally) Painted

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Re: Lava Caverns (Finally) Painted

Post by GriffinTamer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks everyone!

I spent a while brooding over these while working on my regular caverns. Painting something that's lit from within definitely requires a slightly different approach… smoother color transitions in some places and harsher transitions elsewhere. It was lots of fun, though, painting something so bright and emphatic after lots and lots of subtle grey/brown stone.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:12 pm

I know I am late to the party, but I had to add my voice to the chorus. :D

Very well done. I love that you used the core tiles, I love the way I looks like it is cooling down but still lava, and I love the way you got the texture to look like there are hot spots etc. Very well done.

arsthein
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by arsthein » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Wow! those are freakin' awesome... superb painting job!

whyteshark
Goblin
Goblin

Post by whyteshark » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:08 am

Wow! What a fantastic paint job. Very inspiring. Thank you.
James Gordon, Professor of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:04 pm

You mo' betta painta dan me, brudda.

And a helluva lot more patient. Lovely work.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks for the step by step. That is most helpful!

dungeonmastermark

Post by dungeonmastermark » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 am

I like it

Its almost identical to the way i painted my lava pieces

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

For the upper parts of the walls, I made 'em look like somewhat blackened / ashen versions of my "normal" caverns; from what I've seen, volcanically formed caves don't usually have as many stalactites and other mineral-drip formations as seen here (for example, the lava tube caves that one can visit in the Pacific Northwest are relatively featureless), so I decided these are more typical erosion-formed caves that have been subsequently flooded by magma welling up from beneath, creating lava pots, charred walls, and barely-congealed molten floors. I also treated a few of the stalactites & other flow features as cooling lava flows (whereas the rest were conventional mineral stalactites blackened by heat).

@Vegomatic: For the paint, as you noted, I used Pokorny paints for the "normal" cavern areas. For the hotter areas I used mostly Game Decor Paintworks' lava set (which I had purchased as part of their Kickstarter before DF's lava colors existed). http://gamedecor.com Game Decor has a nice range of earth tones in particular to add to one's palette, though I still primarily use Pokorny colors for most of my terrain painting.

For those who are interested, here is my methodology:

I started with five colors on my palette-- Game Decor's Molten Lava Build Up B (a bright yellow) and Molten Lava Build Up C (yellow-orange), Reaper Fireball Orange, Reaper Brilliant Red, and GD's Molten Lava Build Up D (hot pink). With these I carefully painted all the cracks, small pools, etc., wet blending to create gradations between hotter / yellower areas and cooler / red-pink areas, fading up onto the walls and between the "legs" of the stalactites. Also made sure to get some red/orange/pink into the deeper small holes in the tops of the floor stones.

I then revisited each piece a second time with the same colors, picking up any missed spots, making sure the hot spots were nice and bright, and also adding some contrast where there were sharp boundaries (for example, between the "hot lava" in the lava pots, and the somewhat cooler stone sides of the pots).

Then I moved to the stone of the upper walls, using mostly Pokorny Base Grey to give the non-lava stone some color. Particularly on areas where there would be transitions to normal caverns (for example, on one end of a narrow corridor piece that will be used as an entrance into a lava cave, or one side of a mine door piece with the same function) I also added some Pokorny Olive Dry Brush, and some Cardboard on some of the stalactites; but I kept everything a little grayer than in my usual caves so it remained more ashen looking.

Back to the lava areas now, I used GD's Molten Lava Build Up E (a dark purple - Pokorny Deep Lava would work equally well) dry-brushed on carefully to cover the tops of the floors around the cracks and all the other cooler high points; also used this color to transition up the walls, from the reds/pinks up onto the lower parts of the stalactites and background wall stone.

Next I used GD's Molten Lava F (an almost-black gray) more lightly dry brushed over the most fully cooled parts of the floor sections and higher up on the walls, providing further "charring" on the wall features.

Finally I used Pokorny Cavern Dry Brush very lightly on the tops of the walls and a few other high points to create a little more contrast there, a dusting of ash as it were.

For a few of the specialty pieces there were a few more steps… painting wood and then adding charring on the mine entrance, for instance, and adding more hot yellow-orange along the bases of the Chasm edge pieces where they will be adjacent to hot lava pools. And there you have it!

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:03 pm

Those are great!

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Damn, those are wonderful. Great job!