Alternate uses for LED torch stands

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Smogma
Orc
Orc

Re: Alternate uses for LED torch stands

Post by Smogma » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 pm

jchunick wrote:
Smogma wrote:Posted in the trade threads, but I'll post in this one too. Looking to buy your unwanted LED torch stands. You don't like 'em? Let me buy them from you. Unpainted or painted. PM me with offers.
You're my new best friend!... you have such good taste. :-)

Believe it or not, it was something I wanted to create even before DF decided to produce them. I wasn't sure what the base should look like and I probably wouldn't have made them like a wooden floor. Black might be better (why I want them unpainted.)

One thing I really wanted was to find an LED strong enough to emit a radius *APPROXIMATELY* in proportion to the miniatures for torch light. Example: "clearly illuminating a 20-foot (4") radius and providing shadowy illumination out to a 40-foot (8") radius." That way if you turned the lights off in the room you were playing, you could basically "see" what your figure could "see" in the dark dungeon.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:22 pm

I hadn't thought of the stage idea, and that is a wonderful use of them. I will definitely be using them like that.

William, I know you have said that you used to work in design, but I'm always so floored by your sketches. Interior design? Engineer? I can see the experience there. Wish I had that ability. :mrgreen:

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Smogma wrote:Posted in the trade threads, but I'll post in this one too. Looking to buy your unwanted LED torch stands. You don't like 'em? Let me buy them from you. Unpainted or painted. PM me with offers.
You're my new best friend!... you have such good taste. :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Posted in the trade threads, but I'll post in this one too. Looking to buy your unwanted LED torch stands. You don't like 'em? Let me buy them from you. Unpainted or painted. PM me with offers.

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:53 pm

I went in with a bud of mine it arrived yesterday but with the weather roads being impassable I'm going to have to wait :x

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Law wrote:Oh, I'm totally using them that way. I illuminated some rooms with them this morning for my "night-time" shots -- I used the light-up torch walls as streetlights on the OUTSIDE of my buildings, and placed the light-up stands inside the buildings to create a flickering interior light. (My thinking was: the torches actually look cool, so why waste them merely for the illumination they cast? ANY LED in the building will create the proper effect for that)
I'm very glad to see you guys using them for other stuff! Turns out they're more versatile than originally envisioned! :-)

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:38 pm

Harneloot wrote:We used the torch stands as torches in the corners of a large room in our game last night. Worked great. Will try to upload pictures later.
Please do! I'd love to see your setup. :-)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Oh, I'm totally using them that way. I illuminated some rooms with them this morning for my "night-time" shots -- I used the light-up torch walls as streetlights on the OUTSIDE of my buildings, and placed the light-up stands inside the buildings to create a flickering interior light. (My thinking was: the torches actually look cool, so why waste them merely for the illumination they cast? ANY LED in the building will create the proper effect for that)

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:45 pm

We used the torch stands as torches in the corners of a large room in our game last night. Worked great. Will try to upload pictures later.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:27 pm

jchunick wrote: Well, I can give it a go, sometime. The torches standing as high as they are may look a bit odd, though. It'll need legs to sit on, as well... hmmmm, I don't know how well that will work.
Perhaps a pedestal style table instead of legs?