Storing your Dwarven Forge

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Storing your Dwarven Forge

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:34 pm

For the amount of drawers, durability, and ability to move, these really are a good deal if you wait for a sale.

Unfortunately, my wife said no to 3 tool chests in our game room. :P

Looks perfect for you though!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

ryandb2

Post by ryandb2 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:46 pm

My game room is in my garage so I utilized one of my craftsman tool chests. The drawers are the exact height to store dwarven forge standing up. Pics below:
IMG_5493.JPG
IMG_5493.JPG (261.21 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
IMG_5494.JPG
IMG_5494.JPG (311.96 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
IMG_5495.JPG
IMG_5495.JPG (317.03 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
IMG_5496.JPG
IMG_5496.JPG (261.17 KiB) Viewed 3943 times

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Battlefoam - or various similar - come in a wide range of sized with various cutout patterns. I use Army Transporters from Sabol Designs (http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransport.html ) and the foams they make. Point is they work very well, and you can store many things besides figures. The transport cases make moving scenery and figs easy and safe.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Post by NinjaMeesta » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:09 pm

robertsconley, just wanna say thanks for this post. Within 3 days of reading it, I cleaned out our local Staples of the smaller Sterilites, then order the bigger ones from Amazon. (couldn't find em local) and viola:
[attachment=0]DFstorage.jpg[/attachment]
The orgainizer in the family was super happy, he couldn't wait to start putting everything away. Also the totes are great for putting stacks of the smaller sets in, to bring to games!
:)
Thanks so much!
Attachments
DFstorage.jpg
All in pretty boxes!
DFstorage.jpg (338.71 KiB) Viewed 3977 times

robertsconley
Kobold
Kobold

Post by robertsconley » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:38 am

Magniopi wrote:My resin sets are all in Ikea Alex cabinets. My dwarvenite sets are primarily in Really Useful Boxes as I transport them to game locations a lot.

Those Sterlite boxes robertsconley mentions I don't use for Dwarven Forge, but I have a bunch of them I use to store and transport my prepainted D&D and Pathfinder minis. The monsters are sorted out by type/location, like Forest, Fire, Undead, etc., and the Starlite boxes make it super easy to just grab the monsters relevant for a session.
I have four tubs now

Tub #1, DF Dwarvenite Dungeon pieces.
Tub #2, DF Cavern Pieces however one set of Large Sterlite has been replaced with with bead boxes full of miniature dungeon props. (Beds, pillars, chests, treasure, etc, etc). There are three of these beads boxes in this one.

Tub #3, Miniatures, I have miniatures ranging from the Grenadiers I bought circa 1980 to the current range of plastic minis. I segregated the plastics from the metal miniatures. The metal miniatures go into this tub. I invested in foam trays from http://www.battlefoam.com/. I can fit three of them into one large Sterlite box so each stack of two has six trays. It took six boxes to hold all my metal miniatures. For the first time in 30 years i have each metal miniature separated into their own bin. This is what goes into Tub #3 plus some plastics miniatures sorted into six small sterlite containers.

I bought some plastic bins with smaller compartments at a craft store that can be cut apart with scissors. With this I was able to put a bunch of smaller compartments in each of the small Sterlites.

Wooden Milk Crate, I have some old time wooden milk crate. In one of them I have a pair of large sterlite containers plus four bead trays all full of plastic miniatures. These are my essential miniatures for fantasy campaigns. If I am unable or unwilling to haul all my tubs I just grab this and the two small sterite stacks from Tub #3 and go. I use my old method of miniatures and dry erase board.

Tub #4, this is now the DF Cities box. The only problem I have is that I dropped to village to get more add-ons. I should have stuck at the higher level and gotten less add-ons. My basic problem is I way more walls than floors. So when the stuff does up on the store I will be buying some floors.

After this I have 5 boxes of DF resin in their original containers. One Room & Passage, two basic Medieval building, and two Medieval add-on sets. Then I have several sorted ziploc bags of Dungeon Tiles. I only use the outdoor ones now that I Have dwarven forge.

Right now all of this is in storage as my garage/workshop/gaming room is being rebuilt. I will post pictures in a couple of week after everything is put back.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:42 am

kitenerd wrote:Check these out:
threedrawerset.jpg
I put them on the tote bag to show how small these drawer sets (Sterlite 2173) really are. Biggest dimension on them is 8.5" (deep). I am not usually a fan of drawers, but these pop out easy if you need more access. You can also stack them (top actually comes off and they are in sections so you can make them any size you want). The walls fit perfectly:
snug.jpg
Here is all six:
sixdrawers.jpg
I have a tudor stack - walls on the bottom (w/gothic stone), doors and windows middle, posts on top
and a stone stack - walls & arrow slit, doors &windows, posts

This is super efficient storage and should make for easy building. What you see is a Capital City + Stone Wall & Post + Door Set + Double Post Set + the walls from Bridge of Valor. I have two small cottages set up so there are a few walls missing.

I'll take pics later, but the Sterlite 1962 holds ALL my floors and will hold 8 full roofs!
I don't know if its Sterlite, but drawers nearly identical to this, that stack, with stacks locking to one another, also have wheels that can go on the bottom set. These stacks can then be stored out of the way and conveniently rolled out to play - even put right by the game board. I've got four which I use for terrain, and they work great. Also a larger size, also rolling, with four drawers per stack, about waist high.

Oh, after posting I looked at the Sterlite stacks - they appear to lack the locking mechanism on top. If anyone wants the brand of the stack/lock/rolling sets, post back here.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

robertsconley
Kobold
Kobold

Post by robertsconley » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:52 am

kitenerd wrote:I do something similar, but have never seen the ones with the dividers... I like those especially for this stuff. We have lots of weird stuff like balconies that doesn't nest and store well. I will definitely check them out.

If you don't mind my asking, How many sets did you put in those 9 tubs?
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I stored a village set plus a dozen add ons in there with room to spare.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:33 am

Check these out:
threedrawerset.jpg
threedrawerset.jpg (218.5 KiB) Viewed 3726 times
I put them on the tote bag to show how small these drawer sets (Sterlite 2173) really are. Biggest dimension on them is 8.5" (deep). I am not usually a fan of drawers, but these pop out easy if you need more access. You can also stack them (top actually comes off and they are in sections so you can make them any size you want). The walls fit perfectly:
snug.jpg
snug.jpg (283.08 KiB) Viewed 3726 times
Here is all six:
sixdrawers.jpg
sixdrawers.jpg (306.46 KiB) Viewed 3726 times
I have a tudor stack - walls on the bottom (w/gothic stone), doors and windows middle, posts on top
and a stone stack - walls & arrow slit, doors &windows, posts

This is super efficient storage and should make for easy building. What you see is a Capital City + Stone Wall & Post + Door Set + Double Post Set + the walls from Bridge of Valor. I have two small cottages set up so there are a few walls missing.

I'll take pics later, but the Sterlite 1962 holds ALL my floors and will hold 8 full roofs!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:22 am

I store all my DF stuff in Sterlite "purple latch" tubs from Target (and tons of other Wargaming stuff too). I use a mix of 6 quart (designed for shoes), 15 quart, and 32 quart. I then stack these on metal shelving units.

So for this go my DF KSIII stuff I needed to store Empire, Imperial Streets, Wargamer Streets, Ruins, Tudor Roofs, Stone Roofs, 6 Battlements, and etc.:

- two sets of ruins fit a 6 QT
- the Monster Sewer fits a 6 QT
- all the Tudor Roofs in a 6QT (8 roofs, 2 gables, and 4 half roofs)
- all the Stone Roofs in a 6QT (6 roofs, 2 gables, and 4 half roofs)
- all the Tudor walls and pillars in a 6QT
- all the Stone walls and pillars in a 6QT
- all the battlements in two 6 QT
- all the furnishings in a 6QT (chimneys, perches, signs, windows, etc.)
- I combined the streets and split them between two 15 QT
- all the floors in a 15 QT

All told three 15 QT and nine 6 QT. Easy to transport, sort, store, and quickly deploy and redeploy.

For my Resin, it is mostly in the 32 QT size, since it is a bit more delicate with the smaller bits in 6 QT or 15 QT tubs.

Not beautiful, but highly functional and very sturdy and best of all CHEAP!.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:35 pm

Law wrote: KS3 feels VERY different, though. In addition to things that are clearly fragile like the light-up torches and the magnets, the whole set has a larger footprint and that makes me wonder. The streets and floors seem like they could warp if they're not stacked neatly. And I feel like the posts need to be treated carefully, too. If they have problems, the whole set will be largely useless. I also want to make sure the paint doesn't wear off -- it's tough to tell, but it seems like it could be vulnerable, especially on some of the wood floors. Some of my pieces seemed sticky when I unpacked them -- I seem to recall a similar issue with KS2, though, and those have aged well.
Time will tell, I suppose.
1-I put the posts in regular tool part cases. Works grand. I have one where pulling one divider makes a space exactly two horizontal posts + 1 Vertical post long - 40 posts altogether.
2-I wonder about the streets too. I've stowed my Imp St either lying flat or on edge, but the on edge has ME on edge...
3-I store the wooden floors flat, as the bottom of large drawers holding the original boxes of other Tudor or Stone parts. I alternate one floor with the original plastic envelope and one without, so all are protected but I only have half the hassle.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod