Imperial Steets Set - Lots of Warped Streets

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Re: Imperial Steets Set - Lots of Warped Streets

Post by Mydienon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Personally, I wouldn't bake these. Putting plastic in an oven (even at minimum heat) just seems like really a bad idea to me.

Hot water has worked fine for me in the past -- I don't even bother to boil the water, I just use hot water from the tap. I've only tried that on unpainted figures though.

For dry heat, I'd try a hair dryer rather than an oven or higher-temperature heat gun. Another option might be to put the pieces in a zip-lock bag (preferably one that can withstand heat), then submerge the sealed bag into hot water.

Since the specific problem cited here is streets, I recommend putting them on a flat table, and stacking heavy books or similar items on top (I'd put foam between the DF street and the book, otherwise you'll get a DF-street-shaped imprint in the book's cover). Leave it for a few days and see if pressure alone will correct the problem.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:46 pm

For the street tiles, I would heat them until softened, hold them flat against something that will not bend, and plunge them into an ice-water bath until they reach ambient temperature.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:26 pm

Is it possible that the warpage is due, at least in part, to temperature changes during shipping... pieces are tumbled around, flex a bit, and then are exposed to very cold and stay... perhaps just heating them on a flat surface would make them resume their original shape?

Or maybe heat them and add some weight to the top of the flat surface... like a book, or wood, or some elevation blocks... (then you are not solely trusting to gravity to even them out) and allow them to fully cool with the weight holding them flat.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:18 pm

I am am a materials engineer with a polymers background and have used both heat guns, hair dryers, and hot water to fix lots of thermoplastic minis (& other less fun things) over the years. The key is to heat the part just enough so that you can manipulate the part to the desired shape and then rapidly cool it so that the the polymer chains freeze where you want them. You may find that you have to overbend the parts a bit when hot since the viscoelastic nature of polymers allows them to gradually resume their old shape. Care must be taken not to damage the mini or paint in the process and not burn yourself.

Now to go back behind the the curtains and resume my duties as undertaker.

Bring out your dead!
Regards,

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:42 am

Mine were fine; I had one that is slightly warped, but not bad.

I'm sure they will even out with a little bit of heat.

Good luck!
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 am

Excellent advice! Thanks!

The temple example is very useful. It would not have occurred to me that I should wait to have all pieces in hand before adjusting them to help make them fit together better.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:36 am

lostpict wrote:I have one painted Imperial and one Wargamer Street sets. About 6 straights were warped. I bent them back into shape with my hands. After two weeks only one has rewarped - I will tackle it with a heatgun. Good luck.
I want to caution everyone again about the heat gun. Even with a laser thermometer it is hard to heat the tile evenly. I like boiling water best. The one tile may be a better candidate for the oven. Preheat the oven to 200 F and set the timer for ten minutes. Make sure the pan is not warped. Remove the tile and let the tile cool on a flat surface. Gravity should help you out.

My set won't be here until Wednesday. I will lay them out flat for a few days and let them adjust and fix anything that is still a problem.

I like Hot water because it is easy to manipulate the part while its hot. A redo is much faster if it does not work the first time.

Something happened to the bones figure probably in shipping. It is hot in Texas. I ordered six more for a temple I am building. I am going to pant them to match the stone alter. I will make the adjustments at the same time so that the temple walls and columns will be square.
This is all a part of model building.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:18 am

I have one painted Imperial and one Wargamer Street sets. About 6 straights were warped. I bent them back into shape with my hands. After two weeks only one has rewarped - I will tackle it with a heatgun. Good luck.
Regards,

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:56 am

I unboxed a painted imperial and alleys add-on, as well (I still have one each in unpainted to unbox... and paint, ugh!) Anyways, my painted were fine. I think I might have one that's noticably warped, but I've done a couple setups and haven't seen anything major. There are many points along the journey that these pieces take from creation where warping could have occurred, not least of which is at some point during shipping.

I think you just happened to draw the short straw on that particular set of tiles.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Alarian
Orc
Orc

Imperial Steets Set - Lots of Warped Streets

Post by Alarian » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:07 am

I just finished going through my zillion boxes from KS III and I left my streets boxes for last. I had one Imperial Streets set and one Alleys add-on pack. I ended up with a lot of warped streets and I was wondering if this was normal. If I count everything that's warped, from mildly to fairly bad I would guess 1/2 my streets are warped. Some are bowed up in the middle, others (see pic) are bowed up on the corner(s). When you look at them individually, most don't necessarily look that bad, but when I set up a street with them it becomes fairly obvious. Is this what others are seeing?

I'll also add that other than the street warping stuff, everything is amazing! I got 3 monster sewers and I've already played around quite a bit with those and can't wait to use them in my games. And, although I shorted myself on building floors somehow The buildings are amazing as well. Be it stone, tudor or burnt out buildings. My only real regret is I didn't get one of those cool two headed alligators. I would have loved to have opened a box and seen that guy poking out!

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”