The value of full streets

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: The value of full streets

Post by GardenDM » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:18 pm

whyteshark wrote:I may be setting myself up for a hanging, but are the streets worth purchasing?

I ask because I have a Zuzzy cobblestone mat already that covers my table. I decided against the streets mainly because of the Zuzzy mat and it allotted another couple hundred bucks towards more add-ons. Plus, I am unsure how many street sets are necessary to make a 'worthwhile' town layout.

Seeing all the pics of the builds is making me wonder if I should just get some streets when released on the webstore.
I bought the Imperial Streets pack, pre-painted. While we loved everything from KS3, opening the streets got the most "ooooohs" and "aaaaahs". The sculpts are fantastic and the paint job was excellent. I'm really hoping for a "Wicked Alleys" pack that includes T and 4-way junctions for alleys since they've got so much usefulness for city builds.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:13 pm

It really is difficult to answer that question -- it depends entirely on what you consider important.

Me, I like having as seamless as possible a layout. It's why I try to "stay within the lines" in my builds, not creating a lot of really unexpected stuff, because it would mean the seams between the elements would show. I don't turn pieces upside-down, I don't stack too high, and I don't mix-and-match products. So, for me, I'd want the streets to line up perfectly with my buildings, and I'd want the advantages of the curb, the gutter, the sidewalk, and everything else that completes the illusion. Simply dropping buildings on cobblestones wouldn't do it for me.

The streets are also very beautifully detailed in their sculpts -- the grass growing between the stones, the bricks in the sidewalks, the places where the sidewalks are worn down and the stones scattered.

However, they're undoubtedly more limiting. You have to figure out what kind of layout you can make work with what you have - you may run out of corners, or straight pieces, or whatever. With a big mat, you can put your buildings where you want them and the streets automatically fill in where they should. It's much faster, more convenient, and flexible.

For me, it was no question. Any kind of "isn't this easier?" approach, to me, is like, well, why buy the product at all? Painting up a shoebox for a castle and using a penny for a miniature is much cheaper and easier. But the point of getting DF, for me, is to get a product that looks a certain way and creates a certain world. This stuff does that, and does it really well. I'd never consider a compromise that didn't work seamlessly. Mind you, I'm not saying I won't use other products -- I've got some GW buildings I'll use in my city, and I'd use MBA or other accessories where they fit. But using a mat for a street, for me, is just not an attractive shortcut.

So that's my non-answer. If you want something that looks really good and is designed to go with these pieces, the streets are AMAZING. If you want to spend your money on other parts of the city and you think the mat looks good, and prefer the flexibility it offers, it's probably a mistake to get the streets.

I'll add one other thing -- I have limited space, so it doesn't do me as much good to save on streets for the purpose of bulking up elsewhere. I already have more than enough buildings to use what I can, there's always a lot of leftover stuff when I'm done. But if you've got a table set out on a semi-permanent basis, with a mat on it, and you'd be able to really build something impressive if you had more walls, more floors, more roofs.... then it's a pretty different choice for you than it is for me.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:08 pm

whyteshark wrote:I may be setting myself up for a hanging, but are the streets worth purchasing?

I ask because I have a Zuzzy cobblestone mat already that covers my table. I decided against the streets mainly because of the Zuzzy mat ..............

Seeing all the pics of the builds is making me wonder if I should just get some streets when released on the webstore.
I also have the Zuzzy mat. I say yes
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

whyteshark
Goblin
Goblin

Post by whyteshark » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:02 pm

I may be setting myself up for a hanging, but are the streets worth purchasing?

I ask because I have a Zuzzy cobblestone mat already that covers my table. I decided against the streets mainly because of the Zuzzy mat and it allotted another couple hundred bucks towards more add-ons. Plus, I am unsure how many street sets are necessary to make a 'worthwhile' town layout.

James Gordon, Professor of Valoria

NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Post by NinjaMeesta » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Honestly I didn't even notice, it was the boyfriend who found them. I'm not sure what they look like painted, as I only have the unpainted version. (and the KS pic was a concept drawing).
If anyone can post a pic, I'd appreciate it!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:48 pm

NinjaMeesta wrote:
Stormfury wrote: Regardless, the street tiles really give you a ton of space to play and make the city come to life.
What a gorgeous layout! I love the use of the rubble walls from KS2!
Also does anyone else love the little devil & dragon sculpts in the stone wall rubble pieces?
Such beautiful detail!
I wanna build a city like this. Must buy more! :D
One more thing I didn't notice and must check. Lovely, NinjaMeesta.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Post by NinjaMeesta » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Stormfury wrote: Regardless, the street tiles really give you a ton of space to play and make the city come to life.
What a gorgeous layout! I love the use of the rubble walls from KS2!
Also does anyone else love the little devil & dragon sculpts in the stone wall rubble pieces?
Such beautiful detail!
I wanna build a city like this. Must buy more! :D

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:14 pm

GODofwar wrote:I caved. I'm getting an Imperial Streets. At least to try. You can all mock me.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
HA! No mockery. Enjoy. They're AWESOME.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 pm

I had a good time laying out the Imperial streets and Alleys. I have begun painting. I have been thinking what to order. I feel the parts needed for intersections in the steet sets have been undervalued. I am looking forward to when the street sets are available retail.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:30 am

I purchased Imperial Streets and a extra ally set. I was inspired by the fish market drawing to start a water front.

I put a sewer under the ally at the edge so it would be easier to reach.

I make a blue river and a new bridge too!

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”