Favorite City Builder Add-ons

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Favorite City Builder Add-ons

Post by dice4hire » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:30 pm

I have no MBS, but I have noticed some in pics. They look very good alongside dwarvenite buildings and streets.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:27 pm

I absolutely adore the gables... and the ruins. I totally think they are my favorite.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:13 am

The streets lift this to another level in my book. You can use CBS, MBS, DFKS1, and all the DF resin products to make buildings integrated into the streets and lower levels, plus put other buildings from other folks on top. If I could only have picked one thing from this set it would have been streets. Next up on my list was glorious roofs. Those two and any of the DF products (except caverns) allow you to build a 3D city.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:01 am

I waffled on streets for a long time back when the KS was running, but now they are my favorite. They do so much to complete a scene.

The townsfolk minis are a rare treat. It's so easy to find minis with weapons or wizard robes, and so hard to find non-adventurers, especially cast in something durable and springy. While I didn't love the paint on them, they were easy to touch up. They are very useful for NPCs.

The bridge and battlements were my other favorites. They provide variety and interest to a world otherwise compose of 4" squares.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:49 am

I have to say the streets. They look so good laid out alone, and much better the more you put next to it, be it buildings, sidewalks, or even minis.

Everything else is good, but has been done to some extent. Streets are new, in dwarvenite or resin.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Runeweaver wrote:Wicked city - I really want more of those gargoyle posts. Truly I would like to see more specialized posts of various types. Really adds to the flavor of the city.

I really, really feel tempted to pick up another Wicked City if I can. Everything in it works in multiples except the fountain -- extra stands for a bigger market, extra horses, extra cart, extra seated figure, extra gargoyles. Really want it.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite. I consider some things essential. ;)

But here goes:

1) The balconies. The stretch goal freebie balcony is really nice, but nothing tops the fancy covered balcony. That isn't just a balcony, it's an opportunity to change the basic geography of a building. The regular buildings are really interesting, but this is a phenomenal addition.

2) The gables. Yeah, there were minor issues with the qc, but they work well enough. And they're amazing. They're useful, because they allow you to make roofs that turn corners. They're cool-looking, and give you a chance (again) to alter the shape of the roof and generally distinguish houses from one another. It's just amazing.

3) The streets. The balconies and gables feel KINDA essential, and I had to double check to be sure the gables weren't just part of a basic pledge, but the streets are ABSOLUTELY essential. I can't do ANYTHING without streets. Can't make a simple cottage without needing to place it in context. The streets are the beating heart of the CBS. They look amazing, they're incredibly useful, and they take this whole KS from "some neat buildings" to "wow, holy @#$, you can make an actual city."

4) The Bridge of Valor. This is the first one on my list that's not something I consider essential -- I've done layouts without the Bridge. It's not something that a city would look odd without. But -- yeah. This isn't "essential," per se, but it is such a stand-out, it grabs the eye. With it, it's possible to make castles, city gates, all sorts of things. OR just use it, once again, to add variety to a layout. It's just a rockstar.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:21 pm

Wicked city - I really want more of those gargoyle posts. Truly I would like to see more specialized posts of various types. Really adds to the flavor of the city.

Townsfolk - As boring as it sounds, this pack is essential. Without it, you have a city, but no one populating it.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:33 pm

Streets, sewers, and magnetic everything.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Favorite City Builder Add-ons

Post by GardenDM » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:34 am

We finally got around to the grand unboxing yesterday and were blown away by City Builder, across the board. However, there were a few sets that really stood out in my mind.
  • Tudor Ruins - This may be my favorite set. The details are fantastic, there are many ways to incorporate it into builds, and I can easily imagine many ways to use it in my TTRPG games. I wish I had ordered more than one. Oh, also, the flames are awesome!
  • Wicked City - The cart and the fountain in particular are amazing. And of course I love the gargoyle stone posts.
  • Imperial Streets - Ok, any street pack could be listed here, but we had the most "oooohs" and "aaaaaahs" about the quality of the streets. The design and paint on these is just fantastic. I'm dying for a true Alleys Expansion that would include T and 4-way intersections since the alleys make great streets on a smaller scale.
  • Monster Sewer - The sewers look great and have high potential for TTRPG use. They're a bit more fiddly than Dungeon tiles due to the smaller piece size, but have more flexibility in exchange.
  • Magnetic Accessories - The sculpts are amazing and this pack adds a ton of flavor to a room. I especially love the curtains, dragon head, and shield/sword pieces. I regret only buying one and will pick up at least one more at some point.
  • Lighted Walls - I didn't play around with these much due to the sheer amount of boxes we had to open, but love the idea of them. I'm looking forward to after-market plug-ins that will provide even more functionality. This is one set that I'm storing in the original box like I do with resin to keep them safe. They not quite "pure" Dwarvenite in my mind due to my perceived need to use special care in handling (could be wrong here though).
What are your favorite add-ons?

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”