45 Degree Passage Turns

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: 45 Degree Passage Turns

Post by jackattack » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:37 pm

To be fair, the narrow passage 45s are 30% of the narrow passage pack. It's not like you only get 1 for every 20 or so narrow passages.

While four-packs of individual pieces would be very convenient to buyers, it's not a good business model for a company like DF -- and they have tried it. If DF pieces were produced domestically and on demand it might work, but they aren't so it won't.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:24 pm

I really wish the web store would get away from the premade packs from the Ks's of various pieces. I would like to see them sell everything like nuts and bolts in packs of 4 or whatever makes sense for that piece offered. So if you want a certain amount of this, just buy multiple packs. It's not like the molds are a set of pieces.
Jusi an :idea:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:07 pm

I do like with the 45 degree passage idea.

And of course I want the curved 90 passage, which for it's size in dwarvenite would probably have to be two curved 45s that join together. Hell, why not just make a curved 45 with the same radius as the resin curved 90. That would function the same as your wedge 45, both are breaking the 2x2 grid anyway. Only one mold would need to be made. (Your corner idea is cool too, but more of an "advanced builder" type of piece)

Also I really really want the existing 45 piece to be sold as a separate pack. There are only so many narrow passages I need, so don't want to have that be the only way to get the 45.

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Because it's been requested by a few people, I image a dungeon "elevation block" (similar to the one for the caverns set) might appear.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:57 pm

If a narrow end cap has a 1"x2" footprint, two of them together would form a 2"x2" column (but open at the top, so not as good as a stonework elevation piece...
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:54 pm

Smogma wrote:
Blue Prophet wrote:The larger freestanding walls fit perfectly in the 10' wide passage piece to turn it into an end cap. So I say get us more freestanding walls as they are very versatile. The smaller freestanding wall is a little too small for the narrow passages as an end cap.

Free-standing walls (in practice) kind of suck. I thought they would be a godsend before I received them, but after using them... they are sort of a 'last resort' for me when building. With no flooring (for a base) they tip over so easy. One solid chunk of dwarvenite (like a passage piece) is just so much better (in my opinion)
I like my FSW but I would prefer and endcap.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Bevels are only necessary if you intend to put any of the pieces directly adjacent to either the L or T intersection pieces.

The Dungeon Tiles passage aesthetic does not include putting intersections too close together, so I imagine being unable to put a bend or curve or end-cap next to an intersection fits right into that motif.

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:The larger freestanding walls fit perfectly in the 10' wide passage piece to turn it into an end cap. So I say get us more freestanding walls as they are very versatile. The smaller freestanding wall is a little too small for the narrow passages as an end cap.

Free-standing walls (in practice) kind of suck. I thought they would be a godsend before I received them, but after using them... they are sort of a 'last resort' for me when building. With no flooring (for a base) they tip over so easy. One solid chunk of dwarvenite (like a passage piece) is just so much better (in my opinion)

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Unfortunately, I'm going to get a little 'negative'...

This is where Stefan's decision to not go with "all flat edges" on the dwarvenite passage pieces is going to create unintended consequences. Every passage piece that would connect to a "T-Intersection" or "Corner" needs to have beveled edges currently. I assume curved pieces and end caps will have flat edges (meaning they won't be able to be placed right next to those pieces.)

Therefore, not only has the 'beveled edge system' caused some fitting issues, it is going to either:
a) limit the usability of future pieces such as these or
b) double the amount of necessary future pieces (create both beveled and flat edge curves?)

I understand Stefan's reasoning was to avoid confusion between "passage" pieces and "room" pieces, but I think it was just a bad decision when you consider the overall impact it is going to have.

/rant
Last edited by Smogma on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:16 pm

The larger freestanding walls fit perfectly in the 10' wide passage piece to turn it into an end cap. So I say get us more freestanding walls as they are very versatile. The smaller freestanding wall is a little too small for the narrow passages as an end cap.

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”