The Big Post on Scale Compatibility

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Re: The Big Post on Scale Compatibility

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Excellent analysis! Thanks!

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:38 am

Science! Thanks for that investigation, Jonathan.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:39 am

Blue Prophet wrote:Thank you for taking the time to measure all of these out. I admit that I initially only checked the KS1 floor tiles against KS3, which clearly has the largest discrepancy. I was surprised with the KS1 wall measurements, so I laid out 8 and then 12 against the KS1 floor tiles. I had about a 4mm difference with 12 tiles in a row (you had about 5mm), but less than 2 mm with 8 tiles (which is why I probably never noticed that before). Corners are rarely lined up in long lines, so you are not as likely to notice that they are wider than the floors.

I'm curious about other resin sets though, I only have Catacombs myself too.

I find it fascinating that the fact that the newer pieces are produced with tighter tolerances and more precisely at 2" means that the variations and shrinkage of earlier stuff is more noticeable. Maybe new molds and remaking the worst offenders (like floor tiles, or taller narrow passages) would be a possible solution. I would seriously consider repurchasing packs of just KS1 floor tiles resized to true 2".

Frankly, this is the kind of explanation I was hoping for and expecting directly from Dwarven Forge. They said a little bit but it was confusing. Luckily there are great fans like Jonathan to provide a reasonable explanation.
A point to consider,
Jonathan very specifically said that he confirmed what we had been saying from DF, especially Elye, who had put it quite succinctly. By the time this beast of an issue was recognized as a Hydra everyone at DF was heading to SXSW and at that point everyone was looking to Stefan and Nate for confirmation of an answer, and a fuller one that only they could provide because the one we had wasn't acceptable for all sorts of reasons, I guess.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:41 am

Thank you for taking the time to measure all of these out. I admit that I initially only checked the KS1 floor tiles against KS3, which clearly has the largest discrepancy. I was surprised with the KS1 wall measurements, so I laid out 8 and then 12 against the KS1 floor tiles. I had about a 4mm difference with 12 tiles in a row (you had about 5mm), but less than 2 mm with 8 tiles (which is why I probably never noticed that before). Corners are rarely lined up in long lines, so you are not as likely to notice that they are wider than the floors.

I'm curious about other resin sets though, I only have Catacombs myself too.

I find it fascinating that the fact that the newer pieces are produced with tighter tolerances and more precisely at 2" means that the variations and shrinkage of earlier stuff is more noticeable. Maybe new molds and remaking the worst offenders (like floor tiles, or taller narrow passages) would be a possible solution. I would seriously consider repurchasing packs of just KS1 floor tiles resized to true 2".

Frankly, this is the kind of explanation I was hoping for and expecting directly from Dwarven Forge. They said a little bit but it was confusing. Luckily there are great fans like Jonathan to provide a reasonable explanation.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Great info and thanks for taking the time!
Reminds me a lot of the Lou Zocchi dice stack comparisons.

teazia
Goblin
Goblin

Post by teazia » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Very interesting. I think to get the real intent for the scale, one must also look at the larger too, as the horizontal shrinkage may be less in scale to the vertical. My 4x6 KS floor is exactly 100mm x 149mmm (with a smidge of curl up along the length. Alas, I only have one and I do not have the larger flat pieces from other KS.

It is good to know KS3 narrow passages and KS1 corner are spec in height. I had several frames printed up and it is fun to build up! My KS3 tiles arrive in a few weeks.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:33 pm

Thank you for taking the time to do this. :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Ski_
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ski_ » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Thank you for this post.

blinky
Orc
Orc

Post by blinky » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Excellent post and analysis.

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:11 pm

GODofwar wrote:I know Stefan hates numbers.

I love numbers.
Me too!