Expanding GameTiles Caverns

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Expanding GameTiles Caverns

Post by Oldent » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 am

I would like some LED sections for caverns. I do not care for the PVC 2" by 2" water sections.I don't want any. I feel that 4" by 4" water, river sections should be reconsidered now that the Lego like PVC formula is available.
I am not trying to change topics.I think some mine elements are needed.I am looking forward to adding the cliff and mountain sections.

Animal burrows.

I think there is room for a full expansion with T,s and Y,s and nest sections. Giant ant nest would be fun. There really is not much difference between the Purple worn tunnel and a giant ant tunnel.

Crystal cave

The only problem I see with this is deciding between quartz , fluorite, pyrite or the gypsum forms.What about diamonds, rubies or gold?
Yes I am going to bring up mines again. :D This is also another opportunity for LEDs.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon May 23, 2016 4:15 am

jackattack wrote: First, a set of variant Water Cavern pieces. One new "straight" bank (maybe curved, maybe with a rock in the water), one new concave bank (maybe bowed out instead of in, maybe straighter), and one new convex bank (maybe bowed in instead of out, maybe straighter) are enough to create a new set that stands alone, but also supplements and varies the existing Water Cavern set.

There are lots of great ideas here, but this one is absolutely essential - as good as the current set is it is WAY too straight and perfect - looks more like a canal or sluice than an organic stream or lake edge. Having alternate sculpts would get us out of the minecraft look that is almost unavoidable with the current sets
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sun May 22, 2016 5:48 pm

I've said it before and other posts, but I'll mention it here, I would really like an expansion to the burrow and critter wall hole. The idea is intersections, forks in the path, and straight sections. This is something along the lines that anime has mentioned above. Because you could use this as a purple worm burrowing trail.

So far I like everything that you guys have mentioned above for the caverns. Especially the narrow rivers and crystalline structures.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun May 22, 2016 12:37 pm

I agree on all points you make.

I would also like a wall with a way for a character to climb it, like with a ledge.

I would like narrow cavern rivers with straights, turns, T-intersections, and dead ends.

I would like a narrow cavern stair.

I would like a ramp. We got a long one in KS4, but because I'm obviously never happy, now I want a short one too. :p

I would like a small pedestal block like in the dungeon set, but for caverns.

I would like a natural cavern entrance that is not the dungeon/cavern piece and isn't the critter hole. Maybe a 2x2 piece? (And not the mine entrance) I want something that can go behind a single waterfall.

I would like rounded walls like in the sewer sets so we could be in something like a purple worm burrow hole or lava tube.

And like I said, the stuff mentioned by Jack attack as well.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Expanding GameTiles Caverns

Post by jackattack » Sun May 22, 2016 11:26 am

I would like to keep this thread focused on suggestions for new pieces for the existing dwarvenite Caverns line(s). Ideas about new types of caverns (including burrows/warrens, crystal caves, sandstone, etc.) should go in new threads so those ideas can get the attention they deserve.

The caverns line is not only beautiful as is, it also seems to be nearly complete. But there are some pieces it doesn't have that I'd like to throw out for consideration.

First, a set of variant Water Cavern pieces. One new "straight" bank (maybe curved, maybe with a rock in the water), one new concave bank (maybe bowed out instead of in, maybe straighter), and one new convex bank (maybe bowed in instead of out, maybe straighter) are enough to create a new set that stands alone, but also supplements and varies the existing Water Cavern set.

As a variant for the open water piece, I'd like to see a 1" island piece and/or a 2" island piece. This would give us small islands using one piece instead of four (!) and we could place them to create stepping (jumping) stones, navigation barriers, and places to stand and fight aquatic monsters.

As a variant for the 4" archway, maybe we could get an L-shaped double archway with supports at both ends and the corner of the L. It would fit nicely in a corner, two might form a "cage" (especially upside down), and they could be used with the existing 4" archway to create defined spaces within caverns or on open water.

In place of a variant diagonal bank, maybe we could get a continuous stone causeway connecting two corners of a water tile. If it was cast in two pieces, it could even be a low arched bridge connecting two corners of a water tile.

As (part of) a second expansion for caverns and water, I would also like to see water tiles with straight and corner cavern walls, but no bank/shoreline. This allows layouts that force the party into the water.

Maybe we could also get a 3.X"x1.X" boat that holds three minis with round bases or two minis with square bases, and/or a 2.X"x4.X" raft that holds 8 minis (and doubles as a bridge or dock).

Thoughts? Rebuttal? Additional ideas? Chime in, please.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch