Crystal Caverns Revisited

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Crystal Caverns Revisited

Post by LordDust » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:21 pm

This is talk going in the directions I'm most interested in. One thing I have wondered about: if I put a bit of metallic and reflective paint down on areas I want painted, then cover it over with a paint job, will that help with heightening the results of an LED inserted lower down in the piece? The hope is that it will help reflect some of the LED and create a more varied and intense glow. I think it is worth trying (not as a sales item, but as something done to icinite at home). My main issue is the current selection of clear pieces is too limited to do much with. I think it could be awesome for lava, glowing crystals, or even a mystical ice cavern.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:25 am

Painted over clear would be a good way to do crystal veins like Oldent was talking about, but I'd use that technique for mines and/or variants in standard Caverns.

I never said painting convincing crystals was easy, but I have seen it done and it's beautiful. However, I could also see some creative applications of metallic greens or blues, different stone types like sandstone or malachite, or possible fluorescent colors.

Still curious about tinted icinite. Absolutely understand it can't be stocked in inventory, but if it was available as a KS-only incentive...
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:40 am

Mmm, this made me think of something. Why not translucent AND painted. Areas of it would purposefully not be painted, veins of crystals if you will, and then run a LED through it. When turned on, only the crystal vein would shine through, while the rest of the tile would be painted opaque. Really that could be done now on the ice caverns. I just don't have enough of them to run tests on, at least none that I am willing to sacrifice. Might be kinda cool.

Even without LEDs, something akin to this would be interesting, and could be a Wicked Add-on for KS5. Fits with the hodge-podge theme that has been discussed.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:32 am

jackattack wrote:I see the appeal of clear, but I'd prefer both clear and standard. Clear for all of the good reasons already stated, and standard opaque painted for those who want basalt formations, and (maybe?) standard opaque unpainted for those who can do a convincing crystal paint job (or envision something else entirely).
For sure opaque for basalt columns.

However, a convincing crystal paint job is a labour intensive endeavour that requires some skill to pull off well. I'd personally not want to spend my time with that on a boatload of opaque tiles, but I'd imagine there are people willing to spend top dollar for unpainted quality tiles to do a mediocre paint job and call it 'good enough'.
jackattack wrote: When I started this, I was trying to get the DF version Fingal's Cave. I added the crystal component to make the environment less specific (key to a successful DF line, IMO). If the idea morphs into something else I guess that's good too -- maybe something like the inside of a geode is how it will turn out, or maybe it will be Stefan's take on the Fortress of Solitude.

Depending on how tint is added to "icinite", would it be possible for KS pledges to order different colors? Maybe with a simple wash in a complementary color?

How does a frosted finish affect how LED colors "show" in icinite? Does it make them dimmer, or does it spread them evenly across the surface?
The more opaque, the more diffuse which reduces 'hot spots'. This is one of the reasons I like to use hot glue on the mods I do that involve fire or coals. It gives a fantastic glowing effect.

Also if the light is passing through a lot of material then refraction/reflection seems to scatter the light more.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:23 pm

I see the appeal of clear, but I'd prefer both clear and standard. Clear for all of the good reasons already stated, and standard opaque painted for those who want basalt formations, and (maybe?) standard opaque unpainted for those who can do a convincing crystal paint job (or envision something else entirely).

When I started this, I was trying to get the DF version Fingal's Cave. I added the crystal component to make the environment less specific (key to a successful DF line, IMO). If the idea morphs into something else I guess that's good too -- maybe something like the inside of a geode is how it will turn out, or maybe it will be Stefan's take on the Fortress of Solitude.

Depending on how tint is added to "icinite", would it be possible for KS pledges to order different colors? Maybe with a simple wash in a complementary color?

How does a frosted finish affect how LED colors "show" in icinite? Does it make them dimmer, or does it spread them evenly across the surface?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:26 pm

jchunick wrote:
Crimson_King_of_the_Tower wrote:
jackattack wrote:The concept I'm trying to promote is a cavern constructed of crystals or rock formations that look like crystals. Or, if sculpted correctly, either/both depending on the casting material and paint jobs.
If you had a choice would you like to see them made out of clear material like the ice caverns or just plain dungeon gray kinda color?
I'd go with the translucent dwarvenite since it gives you more options. You can paint translucent to be opaque in areas, but you can't make opaque translucent. It would also be a lot easier to mod with LEDs. Modding wouldn't even be necessary if you put the tiles on a light table or the LED ribbon you can get.
I might try a version of a couple tiles. I made a couple of my own cavern tiles before KS2 was ever launched and they came out pretty good. Only problem is mine would be clear but not dwarvenite I unfortunately dont have that luxury lol but ill still try to make some mock ups anyway!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:45 pm

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower wrote:
jackattack wrote:The concept I'm trying to promote is a cavern constructed of crystals or rock formations that look like crystals. Or, if sculpted correctly, either/both depending on the casting material and paint jobs.
If you had a choice would you like to see them made out of clear material like the ice caverns or just plain dungeon gray kinda color?
I'd go with the translucent dwarvenite since it gives you more options. You can paint translucent to be opaque in areas, but you can't make opaque translucent. It would also be a lot easier to mod with LEDs. Modding wouldn't even be necessary if you put the tiles on a light table or the LED ribbon you can get.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:10 pm

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue May 31, 2016 3:07 pm

The concept I'm trying to promote is a cavern constructed of crystals or rock formations that look like crystals. Or, if sculpted correctly, either/both depending on the casting material and paint jobs.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue May 31, 2016 7:50 am

jackattack wrote:The tricky part is making sure the sculpts on the straight and corner walls (fixed and/or freestanding) line up correctly. That alone may determine what rock/crystal formation is used.
Vugs http://packwasher.freeyellow.com/microm/mavana1a.jpg
Crystals form in fissures in rock. A few veins of minerals and small open vugs would be easy to add in caves or mines.Large crystals should be free standing.

Some crystals from Armourcast. Hirst Arts along the bottom.

Home made from Christmas Ice crystals. Hirst Arts bases.

The crystal Oracle a home grown encounter.

The Oracle is an old metal figure. I have know ideal who made it.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!