Ice Caves

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Re: Ice Caves

Post by Blue Prophet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:58 pm

The teal looks good, and many real world images have teal colored ice caves. But I've seen some very blue looking ones, and I think that just looks cooler. I will try it with heavier white drybrushing on the ground though.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks unclebilly - I am going to try it! This will be my very first painting anything foray!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:09 am

unclebilly wrote:Now if DF would make more tiles transparent like this. I would love to have a water set that I could do this to.
First, nice tiles, those results are great! Secondly, I second that sentiment! I would love more cavern tiles in clear and a water set in clear. Both ice and magma can be done pretty well with these. You could also do a few other interesting things with the clear water tiles I think.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:51 pm

Now if DF would make more tiles transparent like this. I would love to have a water set that I could do this to.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:18 pm

unclebilly beat me to it. I used Pokorny Bubbles Blue, though. It works well. That Freak Flex looks neat, though.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 pm

I painted only the under part of my tiles with Freak Flex Teal. Then did a dry bush on the other side (the normal playing side). You can get Freak Flex from here http://www.freakflexpaint.com/paint.html

This is the under side as you can see here all the Freak Flex does once it has dryed is colored the tile a light transparent teal color.

Once the under side is dry then I added the white Pokorny Dry brush to the upper side. That gave it a snow look with a nice icy blue bottom to it.

The only thing I need to do now is add water effects to the little pools.
Last edited by unclebilly on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 pm

I'll do a short tutorial up tonight... but in the meantime, all it takes is the Pokorny Teal (I don't know what it's exact name is since I'm not at home). Just paint it on the bottom and you can use a sponge or paper towel to dab off spots if you want a bit more variation rather than a solid colour... or just do some stippling with your paintbrush for a similar effect.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:46 pm

I gave several sets of unpainted I have been using that way, but this seems easy enough that even *I*, as uncrafty as I am, might try it! Do you have a good source for the transparent Teal? Did you apply to bottom only - no edges? Thanks!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Try teal instead of blue.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:00 am

Those are pretty cool. Just tonight I was revisiting my one paint sample I did for Ice Caverns. I originally just did a Blue wash (Les Wash recipe) with a hint of white dry brushing as seen in picture 1. Then tonight I tried painting a blue on the underside of that piece (picture 2). It turned out WAY more blue than I expected and looks too ocean-like for ice caves.

Just wondering if you guys have opinions on the direction I'm going. After looking at pictures of real ice caves I was surprised how much blue was present. My intention was some blue with only a bit of white surfaces to show detail. I plan on stripping the added dark blue from the bottom of the piece as I prefer the original version.
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG (396.9 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG (387.93 KiB) Viewed 3147 times