Lava Caverns painting scheme

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Lava Caverns painting scheme

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 am

Waou !
Thank you for sharing this with us.
It's "magnifique" !

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:45 am

HeroQuestFrance wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:00 am
impressive indeed !
Just a short note bout the lava stuff... is someone thought about doing the same thing but with filling the pieces with water ? (to be compatible with old DF lake and river sets)
Yes, but it is not worth the trouble with 2 by 2 tiles. There needs to be a damn to keep the clear resin from flowing out. It would need to be on three sides on many of the tiles.

In this example the damn was created with packing tape and pink insulation foam. The damn is only on one side of the 4" by 4"

One option would be to create a mold to serve as a damn. You could place the painted tiles in the mold and the mold would serve as the damn. The mold would have to be thick walled to reduce distortion. You would also have to choose a resin product that produces very little heat and will not react with PVC. I use Realistic Water from Woodland Scenic for small thin projects.

I prefer my water projects to be seamless. I do not like the 2 by 2 water tiles so I do not use them.

If you want to match the resin water tile in the terrain tray formant, prime and paint MDF and gloss coat it with clear Minwax.

Start with black. I used a base color with a lot of green in it.

The Deepwater green is the base coat

The shallow water geen is visible around the edge. The Realistic water has not not started to cure. The white around the edge is PVA/white glue it will keep the capillary action of the water product out of the flock. The blue is caused by a reflection.

Add the details you like. The painting is strait forward. Gloss Minwax with effort will work as well as Woodland Scenic Realistic Water.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:00 am

impressive indeed !
Just a short note bout the lava stuff... is someone thought about doing the same thing but with filling the pieces with water ? (to be compatible with old DF lake and river sets)

Animewarped
Orc
Orc

Post by Animewarped » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 pm

Thank you for the great post. The step by step is awesome! My brain is now working overtime with anticipation of April. Can't wait to tackle the Lava Bridge section of my DoD :)

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:02 am

Beautiful paint job, so much more natural than the factory! After painting the Erinthor Mountains set with a similar number of paint steps, I sympathize with how much work that represents... well worth it though!

Post some pics of it all together, you kind of left us on a cliffhanger... a lava cliffhanger, man, not cool! :D

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 am

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:21 pm
DF, any chance of a gallery type page where pics can be collated together instead of scattered across different threads. Maybe all uploaded pics being visible if one goes to a member profile?
+23 to this DF - we think its a fabulous idea :)
I am the Game and I want to Play

HULKReality
Kobold
Kobold

Post by HULKReality » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:04 am

wow good job. keep them coming!
Joseph Fairweather

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:21 pm

DF, any chance of a gallery type page where pics can be collated together instead of scattered across different threads. Maybe all uploaded pics being visible if one goes to a member profile?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:33 am

Those lava river tiles look superb!

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:53 am

I like the look of the Lava River. How about a pic of it together.