Themed mini basing to match DF tiles

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Themed mini basing to match DF tiles

Post by pacarat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 pm

realarete wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 pm
Great work on these bases Pacarat! The paint on the minis too is top notch! I am a big fan of basing, really completes a paint job but wow this is next level.

Has me thinking a bit, as I magnetize all my KDM figures, but there its arms, weapons, heads mostly .... I'm thinking of some way to get more mileage out of the bases.... But I am sure those minis are "fixed" to the base already, so clipping them and using magnets would be another step.

Really nice work.
Thanks. The basing has been fun to play around with, but there were/are a bunch still to do, so I need to pace myself. Can’t get impatient or hurried and drop the quality...

Re magnets, that’s an interesting concept- would be relatively easy with a slotta based figure. Maybe a combo of one foot pinned (but not glued) and one foot magnetised might work. Would sure be easy to terrain an empty base (press mold texture) with no figure in the way.

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Great work on these bases Pacarat! The paint on the minis too is top notch! I am a big fan of basing, really completes a paint job but wow this is next level.

Has me thinking a bit, as I magnetize all my KDM figures, but there its arms, weapons, heads mostly .... I'm thinking of some way to get more mileage out of the bases.... But I am sure those minis are "fixed" to the base already, so clipping them and using magnets would be another step.

Really nice work.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:59 pm

John D wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:48 pm
Great works, pacarat!
I love creating thematic bases, it's a whole phase of mini building for me. I generally use stamps and clay to make them (sometimes GS, but that gets pricey).
I've done entire 'factions' in a specific theme, say a goblin army on jungle/swamp bases, or a demon army on blood-soaked/skull-littered rough ground, but for individual characters (adventurers and bosses) I like to create specific bases that relate to that character, rather than matching the terrain they'll be used on. Also, and this is just personal taste, but I hate the fake grass. I don't know why, but it bugs me.

Thanks for all the inspiring pictures!
Thanks, and you're welcome... :)

I haven't figured out/gone down the path of - stamped basing techniques yet. Cutting off the metal bases (leaving just feet) seems like it would be unstable over time... but it would sure make it easier to stamp a GS theme on to a base.

I'm doing these DF street themed bases more as a test (lark?) than anything - just to see how it would turn out.

Next challenge up is a reasonable facsimile of wood planking...

Static grass and clumps can IMO, look really good or look really bad. More an issue of application - getting it to look natural and not just plonked down in a regimented spacing.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Great works, pacarat!
I love creating thematic bases, it's a whole phase of mini building for me. I generally use stamps and clay to make them (sometimes GS, but that gets pricey).
I've done entire 'factions' in a specific theme, say a goblin army on jungle/swamp bases, or a demon army on blood-soaked/skull-littered rough ground, but for individual characters (adventurers and bosses) I like to create specific bases that relate to that character, rather than matching the terrain they'll be used on. Also, and this is just personal taste, but I hate the fake grass. I don't know why, but it bugs me.

Thanks for all the inspiring pictures!

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 pm

Well done, but now I feel guilty for all those well painted minis I have sitting on black basses.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:47 pm

zenako wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:58 pm
I applaud the basing effort. One benefit I could see is if you have to have a larger setting and use folks from more than one basing style, that could also serve to identify villagers who might belong to a certain faction in town, without having to use rings or other tokens to mark them. Or folks who might have already been charmed by the dudes trying to take over for example.
Thanks. Hadn’t considered factions, but will file that option away.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:58 pm

I applaud the basing effort. One benefit I could see is if you have to have a larger setting and use folks from more than one basing style, that could also serve to identify villagers who might belong to a certain faction in town, without having to use rings or other tokens to mark them. Or folks who might have already been charmed by the dudes trying to take over for example.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:47 am

Thanks for the complements guys.

@William and RB: Yeah, yeah, yeah... my buds here in town have already harassed me about the “crossing the street” bit... :D :shock: (I would expect nothing less).

I understand fully the balance between diorama basing at one end, and plain old vanilla at the other end of the spectrum. It’s the sweet spot somewhere in the middle that serves but doesn’t distract.

I have three sets (30-40 figs each) of peasants, villagers, etc, grouped loosely into rural, city, and interior schemes. My initial plan (you know what they say about plans) was to be able to have enough on hand so I wouldnt need to have a grass covered villager base standing on a wood tavern floor.

I’m running imto this same dilemma with my Blood and Plunder pirates. Do they get a wood grained base for when they’re on ship decking, or dirt/grass for when they’re on land scrounging for or burying treasure?

Here’s an example where I went too far to the left, and overloaded the bases. Not going to go there again.

Latest effort below. Middle row bases (on wood floor) are done with celluclay. Very fine grain, looks to be very hard once dry, and stuck securely to the plastic base. Some of the air dry clay bases are separating a tiny bit along outer edge.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:44 am

Pacarat you really good at those bases - the minis are not bad either ;) - top job

So we used to have problems in how to base our minis as we did not want them looking out of place in any environment.

So we had many unbased minis until we realised it does not matter that much as long as they are simple and don't distract from the mini.

This is purely our opinion (obviously) but once we decided to base simply we realised how much better the mini looks with a base.

We don't go for elaborate bases as they take the eye away from the mini and makes you think "having a green glowing industrial river on your base is really cool but this is a desert board."

So as much as your bases are really fab, like William hints at, they are only really fab on the matching terrain. On other terrain they are merely fab - so we try to go for simple and just fab, also we don't have the patience to spend a lot of time on basing :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:58 am

Nice matching bases Pacarat, 8-) wish I had that skill. :oops:
I minimize my bases since I don't excel at that kind of work. The townies clothing colors are also very nice.
My minis always have too many bright colors, which then end up look blah or like $#!*. Your colors are much more subtle but really pop on the minis. I'm now confused and just plain suck at the whole mini paint thing. UNCLE !!!

P.S.,
What happens when a character crosses from wood floor to brick sidewalk then over to a stone street? ;) :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”