Leveling Up!

John D
Orc
Orc

Re: Leveling Up!

Post by John D » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Whew, the Escher-ish piece is phenomenal.

Once I get my shoulder back in working order (I arm-wrestled Old Man Winter and lost), I'm looking forward to a creative & productive Spring/Summer. Thanks for paving the way.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 pm

John D wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:24 pm
Oldent wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:13 pm
Hirst Arts has very good how to sections, I found both Jason and ladysabelle on the Hirst Art Forum
♪♫ Thank You ♪ -
I had a feeling Hirst would be a good place to start. I really like those Gothic Medieval sets you pointed out last week, and thought I should look before I leap (..for a change ;)) .

Don't forget Styrofoam

Textured with Woodland scenic rock molds.

Textured with heat

I use pillow ticking for lava. I do not always get carried away and build dioramas. I mostly build adapters like the doors.

I make special rooms too

You can always use helping hands

When you get lost

Go back this is not the way DOOM :!: ;)

This is the base for the helping hands facade.

I used break away walls

Early version

Idea with stacked resin narrow passage and passage tiles.

Lady sable made the hands and the Alarms.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:13 pm
Hirst Arts has very good how to sections, I found both Jason and ladysabelle on the Hirst Art Forum
♪♫ Thank You ♪ -
I had a feeling Hirst would be a good place to start. I really like those Gothic Medieval sets you pointed out last week, and thought I should look before I leap (..for a change ;)) .

[15 minutes later - Yeah, the Casting page was just what I wanted. Thanks again.]

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:13 pm

John D wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 pm
Oldent wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:51 am
I hope you like some of the ideas here.
...almost goes without saying ;)

Oldent, you have me looking into plaster molds now. Plaster is a material I haven't worked with yet. I can certainly google tutorials, but was wondering if you might be able to direct me to a comprehensive starting point?
I learned mold making in college from one of my riends who was an Archeology Professor. I did not make molds for toys until I started building my terrain collection. Hirst Arts has very good how to sections, I found both Jason and ladysabelle on the Hirst Art Forum

http://www.hirstarts.com/index.html?fbc ... QHupDC_4ec

https://www.4botindustries.com/

https://ladysabelledesigns.com/
I get my hydrocal and smooth on products locally at
http://www.theengineerguy.com/Home/

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:51 am
...almost goes without saying ;)

Oldent, you have me looking into plaster molds now. Plaster is a material I haven't worked with yet. I can certainly google tutorials, but was wondering if you might be able to direct me to a comprehensive starting point?

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:51 am

John D wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:35 pm
Following some of Oldent's suggestions, (if I had a 3D printer) I might have started by adapting the Dias/Grand Stair configuration. Something along these lines:Multi Piece Ramp.jpg Where the base lengths of each piece would be 4" (producing an 8" ramp when combined) or 3" (granting a 6" ramp) - Personally, I find the 6" long ramp to be easier to build around, tho they're a bit steeper. If these were solid pieces, you could avoid the hollow underside, have a flush back, and create more build options (half levels, for example). I'd also experiment with Steps.
Bear in mind - the smaller you can break down the individual pieces, the more options you'll have when using them together.
I would cut the risers from hardwood dowel. However, with a 3D printer I would take a different approach.Why not make the risers two inches wide and texture them. It would be possible to lay them on the side or use them standing.

Why not texture the ramp?

I prefer wedges to ramps and stairs to wedges.

This is an example of a MT floor used as a facade.

If you textured the 3D printer risers and made them wider you could use them like walls. This is Griffin Tamer's gate with 4 bot walls.

There is also no reason the 3D printed risers need to be square. I made this set of wall risers with 4 bot molds. Note that one side is round the other is wedge/grooved shaped.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 am

This is cool - love this about the DF forums :)

We have no real interest in slopes at the moment, but you lot are sure making it an interesting project and we have eyes on a 3D printer in the future so its always cool to keep abreast of post DF developments.

Bravo and carry on.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:35 pm

Following some of Oldent's suggestions, (if I had a 3D printer) I might have started by adapting the Dias/Grand Stair configuration. Something along these lines:
Multi Piece Ramp.jpg
Multi Piece Ramp.jpg (24.97 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Where the base lengths of each piece would be 4" (producing an 8" ramp when combined) or 3" (granting a 6" ramp) - Personally, I find the 6" long ramp to be easier to build around, tho they're a bit steeper. If these were solid pieces, you could avoid the hollow underside, have a flush back, and create more build options (half levels, for example). I'd also experiment with Steps.
Bear in mind - the smaller you can break down the individual pieces, the more options you'll have when using them together.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:55 am
Why not make a two by eight inch wedge with correctly beveled edges on the 3D printer?
I could do that, but I'm sort of hunting a more modular elevation solution.In the space it would take to store 4 wedges, I could fit around 24 pillars / platforms. Ultimately I may not use ramps too much, but I'd like to have the option.

Once my order gets in next week, I'm gonna play around the the various elevation pieces I'm getting. I'm really hoping the May general restock includes the Grand Stair Pack - I'd love to pick up a couple of those to play with as well!

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 am

zenako wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:39 am
The low slope, 14 degrees, should be shallow enough that miniatures will stay in place on that angle. That seems to be about half of the normal ramp angle for other DF parts and those can often have minis sliding on them I have found.
Why not include stairs? The 4 inch bed may require multi parts but that should not be much of a problem.

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”