Leveling Up!

John D
Orc
Orc

Re: Leveling Up!

Post by John D » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:35 am

hunter_something wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 pm
Because I've got an excess of 3D printer filament, I'm going to try substituting 3D printed pillars for the wood ones. Plus that way I should be able to dial in the precision pretty well, and I won't have to deal with finishing or painting the pillars.

I've already started playing around with lengths and angles in some 3D software.
Wow, that looks really cool.

I know zilch about 3D printers, but if you were to print the platform & post as one piece, you probably wouldn't need the magnets.

If you did want to seat a magnet in the top of the post, I'd recommend grabbing a pack from Home depot (or wherever) to get an accurate measurement. There's a few different sizes of Neodymium Disc Magnets - the ones I used were 12mm (diameter) by 3mm (thickness). Then I just used Loctite gel super glue to hold them in.

Good Luck!

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Ok I'm officially too inspired by this excellence.

Project: Levio-suh is now underway. I'm gonna start working on a copycat system. Because I've got an excess of 3D printer filament, I'm going to try substituting 3D printed pillars for the wood ones. Plus that way I should be able to dial in the precision pretty well, and I won't have to deal with finishing or painting the pillars.

I've already started playing around with lengths and angles in some 3D software. Can't wait until I have enough time to take the next leap and start printing prototyping!

dwarven-forge-riser.JPG
dwarven-forge-riser.JPG (7.94 KiB) Viewed 309 times
dwarven-forge-platforms.JPG
dwarven-forge-platforms.JPG (27.43 KiB) Viewed 309 times

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:52 pm

To be a bit more specific, I'm really talking about the color-scheme, not modding 'snow drifts' onto the existing sculpts. ..............but I might think about it.

There's a recurring theme of 'mineral' deposits I'm using - Stippled Silver (and maybe diamond?) veins in the snowy-Erinthor, Gold in the lower cinnamon Erinthors, Iron & Copper in the Lost World Caverns, and one of my DoD themes is a blackened-Steel Heavy Metal Dungeon. I haven't come up with anything specific for the Cavern's Deep stuff yet (I'll wait till that's in hand), but it all bottoms out in molten Lava.

(I damaged the rotator cuff in my shoulder a month ago, and tho I avoided surgery it's taking forever to heal. I really want to get back to work...)
Last edited by John D on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm

John D wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:32 am
Here's the plan: 2 Erinthors in a golden brown/beige/cinnamon, 1 Erinthor as a snow-capped topper. It Will get done this year (along with DoD, and a nice Tavern/Sewers set up)!
Say what now? Please hurry, I need to see this! :D :!: :!:

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:32 am

42 Thank You's, Rabbits (whew, that takes a while ;) ).

I knew the post was going to take a bit of effort to reach the payoff, thanks for seeing it thru everyone.
It's probably why I throw Monochrome into the mix. MC sings the Who still cracks me up.
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 am

Now get to painting those mountains, they are not going to paint themselves!
Here's the plan: 2 Erinthors in a golden brown/beige/cinnamon, 1 Erinthor as a snow-capped topper. It Will get done this year (along with DoD, and a nice Tavern/Sewers set up)!

Impassioned plea to the Forge powers-that-be: Please, Please reconfigure the Mountain Floor pack to include the 4"x4" floors - there's no way to get them outside of the Full set, and it's really very frustrating. The 8"x8"s are great, but sometimes become a hurdle to build around.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 am

So finally got to this post, not entirely sure why we missed it in the first place.

Our reaction was very much like GDM's.

Those first set of pictures:
This is all very nice and clever but what use is it? is this some form of 3D chess.
Don't get us wrong, the amount of forethought, design, skill and effort is outstanding, but why?
Looks like it could used for a board game or a surreal dungeon, it does look pretty cool.

Then the second set of pictures drop and DAMN!
Now we get it and rabbit does it look amazing, fabulous job JD :) 42 bunnies doffing their caps is quite a sight.

Don't see it as something we would use a lot in our war gamming and it strikes us that all the painting and staining could be skipped if your slapping on layers of Dawrvenite, but that is us just being picky.

Also bravo to Monochrome and his pals for making it a very entertaining as well as informative read :)

Now get to painting those mountains, they are not going to paint themselves! well unless you order them that way from DF then they kinda do.......

Anyway Top Job :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:46 pm

William wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:24 pm
I have cut a few of the 8x4x2 foam bricks into smaller sizes... (no wedges yet, afraid the thin part will crumble) ... and they cut nice and clean with a thin "SHARP" blade. I made a few sizes to mix things up, 4x4x2, 4x6x2 and 4x2x2. I will be cutting a few more soon, but want to use them a little more to see how few need cutting. I'm considering another bunch of them once my play-room gets closer to usable.

Are the foam blocks still being produced Douglas? Possibly next year.
Hmmm, maybe I should do it sooner than later, I could see foam being outlawed in the future.
Not right now though. ;)
There are 197 in stock right now. I just checked.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:24 pm

I have cut a few of the 8x4x2 foam bricks into smaller sizes... (no wedges yet, afraid the thin part will crumble) ... and they cut nice and clean with a thin "SHARP" blade. I made a few sizes to mix things up, 4x4x2, 4x6x2 and 4x2x2. I will be cutting a few more soon, but want to use them a little more to see how few need cutting. I'm considering another bunch of them once my play-room gets closer to usable.

Are the foam blocks still being produced Douglas? Possibly next year.
Hmmm, maybe I should do it sooner than later, I could see foam being outlawed in the future.
Not right now though. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Those catacomb pics are awesome. If I get more resin it will be catacombs.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:51 pm
So now i have to ask... those with the Japanese foam blocks... how difficult would it be to cut some of them diagonally into ramps or cut in half for half high levels?

Would that achieve similar functionality, particularly with the resin sets, that we see here with the posts and trays?
I do not know about hot wire cutting but I think it could be done. The foam blocks are very dense.

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”