Leveling Up!

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Leveling Up!

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:34 pm

John D wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Edit- Now you've really got me thinking about it again. ;) I think the real advantage of this set is the amount of modularity it has. When I was struggling with the Downward Spiral build (in the 2nd post), I started to discover combinations that hadn't occurred to me. Ways of thinking that extended beyond what I was 'planning' to do. I'm looking forward to posting these ideas throughout the next year. ..I really need to paint those Mountains...
Yes, you do! We are waiting impatiently....

are they painted yet?...

We want to see these amazing builds. Are they ready yet?....

How about now?
;) :lol:

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:14 pm

AstroCat, Thank you, I'm glad you could stop by. :D

GardenDM wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Does your system let you stack lower levels of the dungeon and reveal them by lifting away the upper levels?
GardenDM, your 'revelatory' post got a chuckle.
As for revealing the builds to PCs, there's a number of options. If the pieces are magnetized, then pre-built sections are certainly easy enough to pick up and "click" right into place (the DF trays are good for that too). Or sections could already exist in the build and be revealed by lifting off top sections. Along those lines, I have a few ideas for trapping the PCs inside a structure which they have to 'puzzle' their way out of - say, Erinthor Mts with a cave in or rock slide which blocks the entrance once the players pass thru, the only way out is down into the Mountain thru twisting tunnels, which then reveals an underground lake complete with rowboat, etc...

I'm really hoping to generate adventure layouts that aren't what the seem at first. We have some teenagers at the local game store who are becoming interested in D&D (because we, the staff, are interested in the game again), and I really want to give them an engaging experience. I'm really looking forward to lifting up the 2'x2' tavern they're sitting in, and then attaching it on top of a layered 3'x3' Gator infested Sewer board. :twisted:
I think I've only scratched the surface of the possibilities.

Edit- Now you've really got me thinking about it again. ;) I think the real advantage of this set is the amount of modularity it has. When I was struggling with the Downward Spiral build (in the 2nd post), I started to discover combinations that hadn't occurred to me. Ways of thinking that extended beyond what I was 'planning' to do. I'm looking forward to posting these ideas throughout the next year. ..I really need to paint those Mountains...

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:51 pm

So now i have to ask... those with the Japanese foam blocks... how difficult would it be to cut some of them diagonally into ramps or cut in half for half high levels?

Would that achieve similar functionality, particularly with the resin sets, that we see here with the posts and trays?

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm late to the party here!

*looks at initial pictures* - "oooook, but very boring aesthetically, so what's the point"

*sees the system integrated with DF* - "Doh! I get it now! That's amazing!!!!"

Seriously, fantastic work! I'm jealous of the clean edges on the metal plates you made. And it brings a whole new dimension and flexibility to DF builds.

Does your system let you stack lower levels of the dungeon and reveal them by lifting away the upper levels?

AstroCat
Orc
Orc

Post by AstroCat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:42 am

Very cool, yeah these would probably have a market within the scene. :)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Thanks for the Big Star

Always good to have running through my head.

I often feel like I am surrounded by musical philistines - it is a comfort to know that there are still people who appreciate good music!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:00 pm

Wow what a design. The layouts you've made using the DF over the supports are fantastic. The RotA build is just unreal. Thanks for sharing these ... now I'm not sure if I want to build the couple of "hallways" tonights encounter will be used with after seeing these ... :shock:

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I always enjoy photos :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Great

More pictures on what you did and how it all works would be appreciated.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:17 pm
John D

Do you think if you had magnets on one side of the stilts so you could have a side trays and then magnetized the back of mountain tiles, it would work?
Absolutely! I've already done it with DoD Ledges fixed to vertical steel sheets (2" and 3" heights). I'm still wrapping up my trio-schemed DoD pieces, but when I pull that together for a post I'll remember to photograph the vertical builds.
(edit- I didn't consider magnetizing the Erinthor pieces.....but I am now!)

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”