Leveling Up!

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Leveling Up!

Post by zenako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 am

Oh and the commentary along the way with MonoChrome and his lackeys was hilarious. Grown boys get to play with toys too!!

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:31 am

Outstanding John D!!! That is a clever and effective use of materials. Seems to almost leverage off the terrain tray concept of using moderately sized sheets of steel to support structures. I know that was how I did some serious elevation, but this allows you to be far more efficient in using your actual DF pieces and not having to use tons of them just to elevate. (Assuming one does not have some rather useful foam blocks...)

If you have a power drill (with grinding attachment), or grinding wheel, that might have been a lot quicker than sanding all those plates.

Do you find the magnets on the sloped topped supports (which are one of the neatest things in this) work well to hold those plates in place when loaded with DF? I would be tempted to create some small wedge inserts to fill the gaps at the top and bottoms of the ramps when they do not align with other DF parts closely. (Also been looking at that with ramp schemes that mate with docks as well!), since I do not plan of carving up some DF tiles to create a tighter bond.

Your 6" (multiple of 3") scheme will also work well with the Forest Tiles from the KS I believe. That should allow for some interesting combos with the Mountain set.
Last edited by zenako on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 am

John D wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:33 am
Going wide for the finish.ROTA 05.jpg
That's some amazing work! Nicely conceived & executed!!!

You mentioned using a couple different strength magnets - are the stronger ones in the base, the weaker ones on the tops? (for the angled pieces)

Any chance you could post a close-up of where the ramped terrain meets the level terrain?

I was just thinking of trying to make myself an elevation system, but my thinking wasn't anywhere near as cool as what you've done here. I was thinking of 3D printing some 4" elevation blocks, mimicking the height of the DoD elevation blocks. (I have a ton of filament to use up.) I still think that could be cool and useful, but storage wise your setup is vaaaastly superior.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:09 am

dice4hire wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 am
Looks like a lot of work, but well worth it. You will be able to do some amazing things!!!!
Thanks, Dice. It was more work than I expected, but a lovely light at the end of the tunnel. :D

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:43 am

The idea for this one occurred to me as I was building everything else.

It's footprint is a mere 2'x2'. One Woodlands set and some pieces I made out of Sculpy Clay and texture stamps (courtesy of a few Happy Seppuku KS's).
Treehouse 01.jpg
Treehouse 01.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Here's the underside
Treehouse Base.jpg
Treehouse Base.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Treehouse 02.jpg
Treehouse 02.jpg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 450 times
I made these clay houses back when we were waiting for CBS to ship. They're 3"x 3" because 4"x 4" pieces kept breaking down the middle. I use them for Halfling/Gnome villages.
Treehouse 03.jpg
Treehouse 03.jpg (78.96 KiB) Viewed 450 times
The little stream is really the same stamp offset from piece to piece.
Treehouse 04.jpg
Treehouse 04.jpg (108.09 KiB) Viewed 450 times

Monochrome conducts the local Choir. Lets peek in at a rehearsal -
Monochrome Conducts!.jpg
Monochrome Conducts!.jpg (81.27 KiB) Viewed 450 times

"Allrighty then... Laurel, I want you to come right up to the edge there for your solo. Don't worry, if you fall the Swamp Troll will catch you. By the way Swamp Troll what have you been drinking? I can smell it from here..
Don't Fall, Laurel!.jpg
Don't Fall, Laurel!.jpg (81.13 KiB) Viewed 450 times

"Double Gator, those harmonies are amazing! We should just ditch this whole thing and hit the road Martin & Lewis style.
Two Heads Are Better.jpg
Two Heads Are Better.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 450 times

"Band members, who would believe we could do this with just a Flute and Anvil. You guys are Tops!
The Band.jpg
The Band.jpg (74.36 KiB) Viewed 450 times

"okay, let's bring in everyone for a run thru...
Treehouse Choir 00.jpg
Treehouse Choir 00.jpg (108.18 KiB) Viewed 450 times

and a one and two and..
Treehouse Choir 01.jpg
Treehouse Choir 01.jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 450 times
All: "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General...."
Treehouse Choir 02.jpg
Treehouse Choir 02.jpg (112.46 KiB) Viewed 450 times

Cheers :D

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:33 am

ROTA Rules!

Here we have 2 ROTA I's and 1 ROTA II.
ROTA I-II-I.jpg
ROTA I-II-I.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Monochrome would like me to point out that 3 Sq. Feet isnt that much coverage, so instead of the 3'x3' board used in the previous post, we're going to cut down to a 2'x3' board.
We'll start by building up from the back a bit.
ROTA 01.jpg
ROTA 01.jpg (49.57 KiB) Viewed 451 times
I changed it up a little as I started filling it in.
ROTA 02.jpg
ROTA 02.jpg (75.88 KiB) Viewed 451 times
ROTA 03.jpg
ROTA 03.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Let's swing around to the front...Oh, I know! Let's raise the entire build up a floor (this took maybe five minutes) and add another ramp.
ROTA 04.jpg
ROTA 04.jpg (84.26 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Going wide for the finish.
ROTA 05.jpg
ROTA 05.jpg (79.74 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Here's what it looks like after I removed the ROTA pieces.
ROTA 06.jpg
ROTA 06.jpg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 451 times

This build used maybe a third of the Elevation stash, and was surprisingly quick. I really like it.

but wait, there's one last bit....

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 am

Looks like a lot of work, but well worth it. You will be able to do some amazing things!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:23 am

Part II (or The Cobwebs of my Mind)
Welcome Back.jpg
Welcome Back.jpg (46.73 KiB) Viewed 426 times
6 months ago, when I started thinking about this, there were three images that sprang to mind as a kind of 'wish list' of what I wanted to accomplish with Elevations. These became my goals as I began configuring the dimensions and quantities I would ultimately need.

[Quick side note: playing around with Erinthor Mts. also contributed heavily to the planning stage. I regret I haven't finished painting my Erinthor pieces yet, but perhaps by summer I can present some of the ways I intend to use them].

Anyway, here's what I was shooting for-

The Splash
Splash 01.jpg
Splash 01.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Splash 02.jpg
Splash 02.jpg (49.36 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Splash 03.jpg
Splash 03.jpg (46.92 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Splash 04.jpg
Splash 04.jpg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 426 times

The Downward Spiral
Downward Spiral 01.jpg
Downward Spiral 01.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 426 times
To be honest, this isn't quite right. Also, this build took an entire day, as I kept breaking it down and changing my approach. It's tricky, but I think I just need to mess around with the idea a bit more.
Downward Spiral 02.jpg
Downward Spiral 02.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 426 times

The Slope
The Slope.jpg
The Slope.jpg (56.31 KiB) Viewed 426 times
The Slope Gets Closer.jpg
The Slope Gets Closer.jpg (45.24 KiB) Viewed 426 times

Am I the only one who sees a late 60's Lamborghini?
Slope Side.jpg
Slope Side.jpg (41.07 KiB) Viewed 426 times
This Build, by the way, used almost every piece I have. You can see what was left in the bottom right corner.
Slope Leftovers.jpg
Slope Leftovers.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 426 times

Nice, but how about we start putting some DF down on top?
be right back....

John D
Orc
Orc

Leveling Up!

Post by John D » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:15 am

Here's the project that ate January -
Level Up.jpg
Level Up.jpg (66.37 KiB) Viewed 414 times
(You'll notice some scratches and dings on the steel plates, and uneven staining on the posts. Everything will get a Final Coat in the spring - right now, the weather outside is frightful)

From a conversation that began on the KS6 comment thread with Sir Geekjeff and other backers, I started to envision the Elevation System of my Dreams. After a bit of back and forth with the local Home Depot, I put together a small test run of the set presented here. Then, I coerced a neighboring carpenter (who also made the Boards for me a while back) into cutting the steel and wood pieces, and I drilled, filed, sanded, glued magnets, stained, and primed. I expected it would take about a week - it took a month. About halfway thru I thought I may have gone a bit overboard, but once I began building I realized the amount was just about right for the kind of flexibility I was looking for. In fact, I need just a few more posts.

So, let's start with the brass tacks (figuratively speaking, as there are brass tacks on the edges of the boards).
Wood Posts with Magnets.jpg
Wood Posts with Magnets.jpg (86.79 KiB) Viewed 414 times
The Wooden Posts are fitted with Neodymium Magnets on both sides - there are 2 different strengths of magnets on each post - one strong, and one weak. I wanted them to have a bit of 'give', so that adjusting them didn't pull too hard on the rest of the build. This turned out to be a good idea, and manipulating the posts into position is pretty easy.
Five Diffent Sizes.jpg
Five Diffent Sizes.jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 414 times
All of the posts are 1"x1" wide. The 3 Flat-top heights are 3 1/2", 2", and 1 1/2" . The carpenter went south for the winter, but when he gets back this spring I think I'll hit him up for a dozen more of each. At 4 posts per platform they go pretty quickly.
The two Angle-top posts reach the heights 2" and 1 1/2" (a 1 1/2" Angle on top of a 2" Flat would reach 3 1/2"). The angles are specifically designed for a 6" long ramp, tho they also work nicely for a more gradual 8" ramp. At 2 posts per ramp, I think I have plenty.
Life Size.jpg
Life Size.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Here's what's directly behind me as I'm taking these pictures. Cracked me up when I noticed.
Oh, I should also mention that the Stain I'm using is a polyurethane Red Mahogany that matches the edges of the Boards (or rather Will match, by the final coat).

On the Right we have the steel plates.
Steel Sheets 01.jpg
Steel Sheets 01.jpg (70.05 KiB) Viewed 414 times
I found a 6"x18" Sheet Metal Plain Steel which is very sturdy (16 gauge), from Home Depot and fairly affordable (about 6 bucks a sheet). The pieces cut from these sheets maintain the 6" side but then things get a little crazy.
Here's the size/quantity breakdown:
6"x 12" (6)
x 10" (6)
x 8" (8)
x 6" (8)
x 4" (8)
x 3" (8)
x 2" (12) - these are primarily used for the ramps

I kept the 6" side consistent to make it easier for the carpenter, but it turns out this was a pretty good idea. As I started building, I noticed I could always spot the 6" side, and measurements could be eyeballed quickly. It's a bit hard to convey with words and pictures, but definitely makes things easier to organize.
Spread Sheets 02.jpg
There's a racing stripe down the middle but the lighting's off..
Spread Sheets 02.jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 414 times
I filed and sanded the hell out of the edges (that took over a week by itself), and rounded all the corners. If anyone's interested, I can go into detail about that process, but suffice it to say they're perfectly smooth and handling them is a breeze.

I primed the steel sheets flat black on one side, then a fancier 'hammered steel' on the other. I thought all that gray was too dismal, so I added a chestnut racing stripe to 2 sheets of each size (4 for the 2" since there are so many). It's a bit hard to spot in the pictures here, but... Oh, Thanks Monochrome!
Racing Stripe.jpg
Racing Stripe.jpg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Piling up elevations then follows exactly as you would expect, although I will say there are elements that I've come across that have surprised me.
Everything Fits.jpg
The stain will match once I get around to the final coat
Everything Fits.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Overall, there's a ...'unity' to the pieces which allows for real creativity in the builds. Using this set doesn't feel like a chore - it's very sturdy, comfortable, and fun to use.

Hit it, Monochrome!
Monochrome Sings the Who.jpg
Monochrome Sings the Who.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 414 times
"I can see for miles and miles
I can see for miles and miles
Oh yeah"

back in a flash..

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”