Advice on Magnet Insert on Tiles

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Advice on Magnet Insert on Tiles

Post by jchunick » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 pm

superflytnt wrote:

If you want to do this, just use sheet magnets. They're weak magnets, generally, over any one given point, but are fairly strong over the entire surface. You can cut them like thick paper on a paper cutter, then simply use some Duco Cement or other adhesive to tack them onto the bottom of the tile. Just glue down a sheet of metal to the table and you've got a non-moving, bump-proof surface.

Alternatively, you can drill a hole in the bottom of the tile, glue a neodymium magnet in, and then glue the metal to the UNDERSIDE of the table, depending on thickness. Those rare earth magnets are straight-up powerful. Just be sure the kids don't get into them.

Honestly, though, this seems like MASSIVE overkill. Throw down a sheet of felt and call it a day. I play a game with my 12 year old with this stuff and it's never moved out of place.

I'm beginning to believe you are right. I have a good deal of options everyone has suggested, so a big thanks to all. I have a bit of thinking to do on this, but it's not something I'm going to do right away as I'm new to the miniatures scene and am just starting to get everything together, including an area where I can set things up.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

superflytnt
Goblin
Goblin

Post by superflytnt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 am

If you want to do this, just use sheet magnets. They're weak magnets, generally, over any one given point, but are fairly strong over the entire surface. You can cut them like thick paper on a paper cutter, then simply use some Duco Cement or other adhesive to tack them onto the bottom of the tile. Just glue down a sheet of metal to the table and you've got a non-moving, bump-proof surface.

Alternatively, you can drill a hole in the bottom of the tile, glue a neodymium magnet in, and then glue the metal to the UNDERSIDE of the table, depending on thickness. Those rare earth magnets are straight-up powerful. Just be sure the kids don't get into them.

Honestly, though, this seems like MASSIVE overkill. Throw down a sheet of felt and call it a day. I play a game with my 12 year old with this stuff and it's never moved out of place.

TylerT
Kobold
Kobold

Post by TylerT » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:00 am

not really necessary. playing with my stuff on most table surfaces i don't see it sliding around much especially after it's painted it just stays where it's put.

if you find you just cant keep stuff together i would recommend altering the table surface i would recomend playing on top of a cork board or even a non slip pad used for rugs. http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Stop-Non-Sl ... 079&sr=1-1

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Talon65 wrote:

Also less destructive, you could get some of the magnetic material, like what is used on the removable car signs, cut it into squares and stick it or glue it to the bottom of the tiles. You just need to get a painted metal sheet or even a metalic dry erase board to play on.

That's a great idea! I used to run a sign company and could buy the roles direct from the supplier for relatively cheap... I might still have some contacts to get me the roles.

However, I also like the idea of the drawer liners. That might be the cheapest solution. Again, my issue is I tend to be very clumsy and the last thing I want to do is knock a bunch of tile and accessories all over (and probably on a regular basis).

JasonYoung
Orc
Orc

Post by JasonYoung » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 pm

I've played with them several times... I don't think any sort of plugging things together is necessary.

If you want to be crazy crazy... get yourself some of the stuff you put in the bottoms of drawers to keep things from sliding.

Cheap... effective.. done.

~J

Talon65

Post by Talon65 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Also less destructive, you could get some of the magnetic material, like what is used on the removable car signs, cut it into squares and stick it or glue it to the bottom of the tiles. You just need to get a painted metal sheet or even a metalic dry erase board to play on.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:14 pm

postal_pirate wrote:

If your worried about bumping them, why not use some rubber shelving stuff (can't remember the name of it)? A couple of pieces 2-3 feet long should work for most layouts.

I had thought of using the magnet idea for the free standing walls. Putting the magnets near the bottom of the walls and on the edge of a 2x2 tile would give you a tile that is now a full 2x2 passage. But that would make the walls shorter than the rest of the set.

I am working to molding my own 2x2 passage set using Smooth-On products.

That gave me another idea... a non-destructive one. I could use only the hook side of some velcro (my wife even has some strips laying around somewhere in her sewing stuff) and stick them on a felt surface.

My other, destructive idea (besides the magnets) is to put two pieces together using a clamp and then drill a hole between the two pieces, which would create a 1/2 hole in each that match up perfectly... then sand down some doweling on a belt sander and cut to size. The doweling would keep two pieces nicely aligned and stuck together, but easy to remove.

postal_pirate
Kobold
Kobold

Post by postal_pirate » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:25 pm

If your worried about bumping them, why not use some rubber shelving stuff (can't remember the name of it)? A couple of pieces 2-3 feet long should work for most layouts.

I had thought of using the magnet idea for the free standing walls. Putting the magnets near the bottom of the walls and on the edge of a 2x2 tile would give you a tile that is now a full 2x2 passage. But that would make the walls shorter than the rest of the set.

I am working to molding my own 2x2 passage set using Smooth-On products.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Welcome to the DF forum jchunick!

Quite a few of us have thought about similar modifications but I don't remember seeing one such modification on this forum. May I suggest you play a few months with your new toys before you actually drill them all? My guess is you will soon see that DF pieces once put into a setup don't move much and therefore do not require fancy magnets. Also, you will see that the side of floors are also sculpted quite well. If ever you build multi-layers setups, the sides show up and I believe it would be a shame to see plenty of metal thingies each inch or so. But then, one can reason that you got your Game Tiles for quite cheap and that you could do with them whatever you feel like without too much regret. Whatever you end up doing, please share with the rest of us!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Advice on Magnet Insert on Tiles

Post by jchunick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi guys.

I've just gotten into miniatures after the Dwarven Adventurers and Dwarven Forge Kickstarters. Now that I have my tiles and have started to paint them I was thinking about how much of a klutz I am and thought it might be better if I somehow modify the pieces so they could stick together well, but still come apart easily.

I was thinking of several things and then realized that the tiles are thick enough, 10cm or 1/4" thick, to drill into and insert a small, cylindrical neodymium magnet or two per side on each piece (depending on the size of the tile).

see here for the magnets:
http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/175111http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/175111

The only anticipated problem is having two magnets with the same poles facing each other and repelling instead of attracting... which is why I was thinking of putting in two per side, opposite poles facing out, as well as keeping all non-symmetrical pieces oriented the same way and making sure the magnets are inserted the same way in each.

What do you think? Is anyone trying anything similar?

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”