Ice Caverns Paint Job

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Ice Caverns Paint Job

Post by jchunick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:27 am

kiltedyaksman wrote:I'd like to talk to the OP but I'm not sure the messaging system is working properly for me...
I know I'm not the OP, but maybe we can help you out if you have any questions about painting the ice caverns. :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:45 pm

I love all these different ice paint schemes.

kiltedyaksman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by kiltedyaksman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:46 pm

I'd like to talk to the OP but I'm not sure the messaging system is working properly for me...

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Ice Caverns Paint Job

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:23 am

WOW - that is really awesome...

Unlit it looks good -Lit it looks fantastic! I cannot believe how cool the piles of snow on top look - such a great effect!

BRAVO!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:48 pm

I just finished this test to see if adding some fine glitter for a nice shimmering effect would work. I also wanted to test with this piece because the hole makes it easy to try out a blue LED inside.

To go through the details, I used some Dollar Store (from Canada) DecoArt Crafter's Acrylic 'Light Antique White' and 'White'. I also used verdigris glaze and blue ink. I applied the antique white first as a bry brush, much as you do if you paint the stone highlight on the dungeon tiles. I was a bit heavy on all the top edges of the various "levels" on the mound. Then I added the mix of verdigris glaze and ink, decently watered, and washed that all around and into the crevices. I had to dab off spotty areas with a wet brush as the ink mix dried... as well, I would often brush upward to get it a bit more evenly applied. Lastly, I used the 'White', drybrushing on the most bumpy surfaces. Lastly, I applied thick white onto the tops of the ridges where I figured snow build-up would be heaviest. I did this part quick since I was going to apply the Extra Fine Glitter (made by ArtMinds and bought at Michaels with 50% off coupon) to the heavily applied white paint. I made sure to have it on a paper plate so I could catch the excess glitter to put back into the container later.

Here's how it turned out:

Attachments
IMG_0317__Custom_.JPG
IMG_0317__Custom_.JPG (58.87 KiB) Viewed 6516 times
IMG_0309__Custom_.JPG
IMG_0309__Custom_.JPG (76.2 KiB) Viewed 6516 times
IMG_0305__Custom_.JPG
IMG_0305__Custom_.JPG (63.95 KiB) Viewed 6516 times
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Mariolls
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mariolls » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:00 pm

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by natetaylor » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Gorgeous work.

The Realistic Water in the crevices is fantastic.

These are perfect.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:38 pm

I just finished painting 3 sets. I mixed 48 drops of Pokorny white with 3 drops of water bubbles to get a toothpaste color. I used this base to paint the bottoms of all tiles, then I lightly dry brushed all pieces with the same color. I then dry rushed lightly with white, then painted the top edges of all pieces white. I painted a heavier coat on the hanging drippy bits.

I wanted a dramatic look, with heavy whites and subtle blue undertones. The translucence is preserved, though it's not apparent on the pic. I want to use scenic water effects in the recesses, that was a good idea. Just need to pick some up from the local hobby store.

brvheart
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by brvheart » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:06 pm

These look really nice, but I am not sure I can improve over the clear with my level of painting. We will see when I get the rest painted.

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:32 pm

You are making me regret not picking up the clear tiles. Those look fantastic! Thanks for sharing!