Tapestries

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Tapestries

Post by jackattack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:57 pm

This tapestry is called "To My One Desire", one of a series of six called "The Lady and the Unicorn" from Flanders, circa 1510.

Here's a quick-and-dirty explanation of copyright and art that seems fairly credible.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/940560
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 am

@kodiakbear

Thanks! I'm really happy with the final version. As for the faded test version, that's a good idea. I did want to make a ruined tapestry; maybe that one can be my test piece for it.

@biowizard

Thanks for the compliment. I would like to do some more fantasy themed tapestries, but wanted to make sure I could find real tapestries (much different look to painted artwork) that is in the public domain first. I definitely don't want to sell anything that's copyright.

That being said, there is a lot of fantasy art out there that I can tap into either that's free for commercial use (certainly private use isn't an issue) or that I can license, but that's a whole other set of issues I didn't want to deal with during R&D.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:05 am

The quality of your work keeps getting better and better. Congrats on this neat project.

The image you choose to print seems really authentic, I imagine an old keep in medieval times to hold one of these. For my D&D RPG games though, I would prefer something with more of a fantasy theme. If you print tapestries with vampires, dragons, treasures, maps, royalty portraits and knights on them, count me in as a potential client.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:49 am

Very nice!

I think it would be great if you made one from the middle one with tarnished finial caps and gold bar and dirty gold ropes and tattered tassels. perhaps a few tears in the tapestry also.

Then you could have a nice one and a old one for the abandoned lairs.

Perhaps an arrow or broken spear stuck into the tapestry with blood stains.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:47 pm

Here is the side-by-side comparison. The original picture, printed on paper is on the left, the middle one is printed on straight material, and the right one is printed after the material has been painted with a primer.

The closeup shows you the amount of detail which has gone into creating the tapestry. The antique gold finials cap off the gold bar to which the tapestry is mounted. The gold ropes with tassels are strung exactly has they would be on a real tapestry.

* You would never know but behind the tapestry is a secret door. Shhhh!

I hope you like! I am still working on a couple different mounting systems/brackets for the tapestry to accommodate single height walls and double height walls.
Attachments
final_tapestry.jpg
final_tapestry.jpg (190.14 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
tapestries_side_by_side.jpg
tapestries_side_by_side.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 3194 times

galahad
Orc
Orc

Post by galahad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm

I will buy some when you are ready to sell.

Galahadmarsatgmaildotcom
Pontifex Maximus of Valoria

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:32 am

JasonYoung wrote:

I asked about the commission work of the carpet companies...

You have to make a huge order.

Yeah, I knew that would be the case so I didn't ask the first time I found out they'd do commission work. Out of curiosity, what was it that you were inquiring about?

P.S. I will have another few pictures posted later today. I did the gesso and it worked. The tapestry prints are much more detailed and vibrant. I will post side-by-sides for comparison.

JasonYoung
Orc
Orc

Post by JasonYoung » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:59 am

I asked about the commission work of the carpet companies...

You have to make a huge order.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 pm

dandare wrote:

Are you able to try a far finer 'fabric'. You need almost fine single threads and the resolution has to be better.
(Thats the problem with small... Big things in a Small scale should look well detailed.)

There is a company that sells very detailed 'woven' carpet / rugs that many off us buy. Maybe some of those mounted as a tapestry would do the ticket ?

Yes, I have tested a finer fabric. I actually have one that I'm satisfied with... a stretchy material that looks good. Some detail still gets lost since that's the nature of printing on a material with texture... I'm actually fine with some detail being lost. It's small, after all.

Another issue I'm running into is some of the toner goes through the material and ends up on the 'freezer paper' backing which makes it look a bit faded. I'm hoping the solution is to gesso the material first. That should plug up the holes. The model primer I have is rather watery so I'm hoping it won't get too stiff if I keep it thin enough. I think that will resolve the detail issue to a degree, as well. That's a test I'm going to do tomorrow.

If it comes to it I might order some transfer paper for my laser printer. I cannot find any in my town for laser printers as it needs to be specifically for them vs. the very common inkjet transfer paper variety.

I actually know about the carpets. The company that makes them will do commission work, so maybe I could commission them to recreate famous medieval tapestries for me ;-) The whole point of this project, though, is not to have a rug hanging from the wall - rugs are not tapestries, after all. Besides, having medieval works printed and hanging on the walls is waaaay cooler. :-)

dandare
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dandare » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Are you able to try a far finer 'fabric'. You need almost fine single threads and the resolution has to be better.
(Thats the problem with small... Big things in a Small scale should look well detailed.)

There is a company that sells very detailed 'woven' carpet / rugs that many off us buy. Maybe some of those mounted as a tapestry would do the ticket ?