Lork
Orc
Orc

Re:Craft Thread - Foam Cliffsides

Post by Lork » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 pm

jchunick wrote:

Lork,

You can try my site: http://random-roll.com/download-textures/

Awesome, man. I\'ll need to find a way to integrate the suggestion of a grid into the texture, but if I use your textures as basis, I\'ll credit you in my update about the end result of this experiment!

@Oldmanwillow: Fill me in! What did you use to make all of the planks in the crazy goblin walkways? Was that a relatively off-the-shelf product you found somewhere, or did you have to sculpt all that from scratch?

Oldmanwillow
Orc
Orc

Post by Oldmanwillow » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:56 pm

Undel, the tiles look very nice. I use the MDF often for water bases. Make sure the paint and glue is completely dry before you add the water medium.Outgassing will cause the tile to be cloudy and or trap bubbles.

The water in all of these tiles is a thin layer of Woodland Scenic Realistic
water. The DF lake tile is there so you can compare color.

The larger lake is cast resin. The surface of the MDF was painted the same way as the smaller tiles.

The Mod Podge over True Blue

Tincaps during the process

You have inspired me to make some sewer tiles. I am going to cut the MDF into tiles and paint them dark. I am going to finish them with some of the left over Modge Podge.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Lork,

You can try my site: http://random-roll.com/download-textures/
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Lork
Orc
Orc

Post by Lork » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 pm

@Oldmanwillow: The crazy plank goblin bridges are awesome. Is there a ready-to-go product that you used for that, or did you do all that by hand?

(because if there is a ready-to-go product and I just need to handle the elevation component, I\'m going to add it to the project queue)

@Undel: The water tiles are looking great. I\'m working on sourcing ready-to-go acrylic 2x2 squares for my cheapo take on this project and will be quite happy if I come close.

I have some digital artist friends and am going to try to get them to make me a tiling, loosely gridded texture each for Lava, Ice, Slime, and Water that I can use for mine.

I\'ve seen other versions of this project where some actual terrain detail is being modeled on the MDF before pouring the resin, and I\'m encouraged in my plans by how well yours are coming out as paint-on-cork/MDF, since mind will literally be a textured sheet of paper attached to the bottom of a prefab square of cut acrylic.

Now if I can just get those better material photos back from my potential suppliers of cut acrylic so that I can pick and do some first tests.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Nice!

I\'m glad I could help.
Can you tell us more about those fearsome sharks?

Thanks

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:04 pm

@ebrandeis - Thank you. I\'m glad that it\'s helpful. I\'ve been scouring the forums here trying to pick up tips too. Sharing craft/art techniques is fun and inspiring. :)

@GriffinTamer Thanks! It\'s still a bit boxy compared to some of the beautiful terrain I\'ve seen from those who use rulers/strings for movement instead of the grids, but I\'m pretty pleased with the hybrid approach so far.

@Oldmanwillow - Oh wow, you went crazy with that foam terrain and elevation. Those look amazing! I\'ll have to give something smaller a try. I don\'t have the kind of space for large setups like that, as we game at a game shop and everything needs to fit in my car and on the shop table.

@kitenerd Mounted aerial attacks against vulnerable PC, you say... hmmm... *files that away for future sessions*

The progress on my water tiles so far.

The tiles used here have three different methods applied.

The first try used no grid (by mistake) and clear resin. These results are in the upper left.
My second pass I added a grid to the tiles so that players can more easily see how far they can move. I also used clear resin. These results are in the upper right.
Finally I combined the grid with resin that was slightly tinted by ink. (Thanks for the suggestion @biowizard!) This resulted in a deeper look to the water, as if it were something that a player might be able to sink into rather than very shallow water. These results are in the lower right.

The final method is the one that I believe that I will use going forward. I think it looks the most like water.

I am going to try replacing the cork tiles that I have been using as the base for these pours with mdf board. The mdf is much cheaper and more durable. I hope it will be less inclined to float in the molds after the resin is poured. The 2’x4’ MDF sheet was $6.50 and has enough real estate to make 576 2x2 tiles or 144 4x4 tiles. It is also much smoother, which could be a good or bad thing. It’ll be easier to paint on than the cork, which liked to flake away as I scrubbed at it. I do worry about the resin having a good adhesion to it. The cork tiles had plenty of little pours for the resin to set into and “grip”. I do not know if the resin will peel off the mdf or not.

In any case, I think I’m zeroing in on the method I’ll use to make my swamps, sewers, and lakes. I may do some truer blue tiles for clear water and pools, some tiles that look like tar, and some tiles that look like acid. (assuming I have enough resin and materials after I finish my blue/green set. I don\'t see how I could go through ALL the resin though! It\'s a lot!) I feel the majority of the tiles I produce will be this blue/green, because I think it works very well for swamps, sewers, and generic water.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:44 pm

As someone who games under a cruel and capricious GM (we love to hate him...), i recommend always attacking climbing characters. Our last cliff climb we were attacked by fey riding flying creatures... They got mounted charges against our flat footed AC. We got no AoO\'s because we were hanging on for dear life... IT was so ugly and dangerous!

Beautiful terrain, I have bookmarked this and will hope to emulate the technique someday. Thanks for sharing!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Oldmanwillow
Orc
Orc

Post by Oldmanwillow » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Outstanding work with the water and the clift section. I have not tried to cast resin water tiles. I made mine by painting MDF board.

I paint it black then dry brush the edge forest green. I have used Woodland scenic realistic water or glossy ModPodge for the water effect.
I have been promoting DF on the Hirst Arts page so it is only fair to do the same here. I used a combination of Pine tree bark Hirts Arts cast and the DF resin cavern parts. You can see I like to stack.

You can combine pink foam with Woodland Scenic Rock molds for natural looking cliffs or Carve the foam. You can see I combined both. I like to use premixed dry wall mud as filler. I think it is faster and easier than plaster.

This is an example of Pine bark used as cliffs and risers.

I am looking forward to seeing photos of your Pathfinder project and sewers.

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:44 am

Beautiful work! I especially like the coloring on the cliff, and how you integrated the grid into the more organic shapes. Well done!

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:56 am

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, these are more like natural ledges on the cliff at various heights, rather than carved stairs or natural paths. I was mostly curious if they were meant to form an easy to navigate path up the cliff, but the need for a grid made it appear like more discrete ledges or if that was intentional.

And thank you for sharing all the steps for this project. It\'s fascinating to learn how you did it and the project looks great.

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”