Craft Thread - Sandstone & Clear Blue Water

Undel
Orc
Orc

Re:Craft Thread - Foam Cliffsides

Post by Undel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:07 am

@thebigteacher Thank you!

@jchunick Glad you like it! I think this was about 7 hours of work total from start to finish. Now that I have a method I think I could start shaving some time off that. :)

@ebrandeis There are 7 layers of foam to this. each piece of foam was 1 inch thick. In Pathfinder, 1 inch = 5 feet. So each \"step\" is a 5 foot climb. It would be up to GM discretion, but I will be treating each step as a climb check. The benefit of using the steps as opposed to going the more direct route and scaling the cliff is that if you fail and fall, 5 feet is not going to result in fall damage. It\'s safer, especially if there\'s bad things up top firing stuff at you...

(there\'s an alternate, medium-safety route along the backside of the cliff.)

Of course, I\'m pretty sure I know a player or two who\'s going to try the most dangerous way up.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:00 am

Wow, first of all this looks incredible. The colors and textures are all fantastic and you knocked it out much quicker than I imagined.

How did you approach elevation for this piece? Obviously some of the vertical distances between squares are 10s of feet and represent a sheer drop off. But some of the distances appear to be between 0.5-2 squares in height, so perhaps 2.5\'-10\' in height. Are these meant to be \"difficult terrain\" that can be overcome by spending extra movement? Would you require some sort of athletics or climbing check? Would the characters need to use rope and other climbing equipment? I\'m mostly asking about the areas that have a stair-step appearance, but that have vertical distances that appear to be larger than would be typical for normal stairs.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:57 am

I\'d be proud of that too! Very nice work, and quick turnaround. I like that it has the grid tiles at the flat parts.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:45 am

Too cool!

Undel
Orc
Orc

Re:Craft Thread - Foam Cliffside

Post by Undel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:28 am

I have carved into the sides of the foam.

I have covered the foam model with a thin layer of plaster. This will seal some of the gaps between the layers of foam, and will also provide a layer in between the paint on the foam so that I can spray paint it.

After the plaster dried, I covered the terrain with mod podge to further seal it. I then it adhered plaster tiles to the flat surfaces of the cliff. These tiles form a 1 inch grid. These will be the play surface is that the players can traverse.

Base Coat. (I was at the game shop. Warhammer figs are not mine!)

Final Colors.

Overall I\'m pretty happy with how this turned out. I hope I can get multiple uses out of this, as I think it\'s going to be a really fun piece of terrain to play across. :)

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:26 pm

I love the idea of being able to incorporate Game Tiles into the larger piece. Even better if they\'re removable since they can be re-used elsewhere and you can even mix up the terrain by swapping out pieces, using different color schemes, etc.

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:52 pm

The Resin tiles are curing. I\'ll have some photos of the comparison in methods at the end of the weekend.

In the meantime craftening continues. I don\'t know if I\'ll finish this in time for Thod\'s twitter challenge for today. I probably wont, haha.
*possible PFS season 0 spoiler below*
I\'m working on crafting a cliffside for the Pathfinder Silent TIde scenario. This particular part of the mission doesn\'t have an official map, so I made one. The cliff needs to be 35 feet high. With 1 inch = 5 feet, that meant the cliff needed 7 layers to be the correct height. I made the back side of it climbable so that it can be used in other things. :) Once the glue sets on all the layers I\'m going to start carving into it to make it look more rocky.

The Layers:

All Together:

There\'s another elevated element in the scenario. I\'m going to see about crafting that part in foam too, but making slots for DF Gametiles pieces to slide in since it\'s more structural and less natural in nature. Excite!

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re:Craft Thread - Epoxy Water Tiles

Post by GardenDM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Good idea. Will be waiting patiently for your results.

Lork
Orc
Orc

Re:Craft Thread - Epoxy Water Tiles

Post by Lork » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 pm

I think I\'m going to try a \"baby\'s first\" version of this, I\'m just going to use squares of glass or lucite to get the depth-of-field effect, and print a two-sided texture sheet for in the middle to \'sandwich\' between two squares of the glass or lucite. Not as fancy and I can\'t add dye or do water effects, but pretty low key for a first outing.

It\'ll be a while before I get to do it, but I\'ll report back once I do.

Undel
Orc
Orc

Craft Thread - Epoxy Water Tiles

Post by Undel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:58 pm

ebrandeis wrote:

Omg, you all have really pushed me over the edge. I\'ve been bitten by the crafting bug! I\'m itching to make some terrain! Up until now I\'ve been happy to buy DF and other people\'s creations, but I\'m so excited to make something myself that I can\'t sit still. Thanks again for infecting me with this excitement. I can\'t wait to get some free time and get started!

Yes! Join the crafters! :)

I\'ve found crafting to be a lot of fun. It\'s really satisfying to put stuff out on the table and say \"Yeah, I made that.\"

At the same time, getting things to turn out nicely can be a process. At the beginning of this thread I was trying to make grass tiles look nice and be modular, and in the end I don\'t think it really worked out and I\'ll have to try a different approach, because what I have is a mess! haha. Still, they were enjoyable to make! I\'m still in a learning curve of things not looking quite right with these water tiles, but I think they have more potential and I\'m on the right track with getting something a bit cleaner looking that\'ll mix well with DF.

biowizard wrote:

Nice work Undel!

May I suggest you mix some ink into the resin before you cast it?
I\'m pretty sure it would add depth.
I played around with doing that here and there.

I\'ll give some ink a try. I have some Dr. Ph. Martin\'s liquid acrylic turquoise blue airbrush acrylic laying around. It\'s completely transluscent with no titanium dioxide or opaque-type stuff to it, so it might work out like an ink for me. (I could purchase ink, but I\'d love to use materials I have laying around.)

The only bummer is that I\'ve cast the 6 previous tiles (no grid, first try) and have 4 more drying now (with grid) without any color to the resin. Adding color will make them not match... but you know, it\'s probably early enough in the game that I should still give it a try before I go onto \"mass production\" making a giant sewer system, haha.

Based on what I\'m seeing with the epoxy tiles that are currently curing, I like how the grid looks. I think I\'d like tinted water too, so it\'s best to keep experimenting and when I find the combination I like best, go into \"mass map production\" then. :)

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”