Craft Thread - Sandstone & Clear Blue Water

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re:Undel\'s Craft Thread - Epoxy Water Tiles

Post by biowizard » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Nice work Undel!

May I suggest you mix some ink into the resin before you cast it?
I\'m pretty sure it would add depth.
I played around with doing that here and there.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Omg, you all have really pushed me over the edge. I\'ve been bitten by the crafting bug! I\'m itching to make some terrain! Up until now I\'ve been happy to buy DF and other people\'s creations, but I\'m so excited to make something myself that I can\'t sit still. Thanks again for infecting me with this excitement. I can\'t wait to get some free time and get started!

Shadaraman
Orc
Orc

Post by Shadaraman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Undel wrote:

With the monthly 40-50% off one item coupon Joanne\'s gives, it\'s still a better deal for me to get them in person at this point. However, that is a better base price than Joanne\'s, so it\'s good to have another source! Thank you!

Yeah, if you\'ve got a good source there\'s no reason to change. I figured I\'d post the link for people without a good local place to buy.

Undel wrote:

Those are amazing! Their edges are so clean. O_O

Looks like they used an artist\'s block to make their mold form. I think this might be the reason why my edges suck. I used foam core, and the mold material picked up all the little divits present in the foam. They\'re tiny, but it would be nice to have perfectly smooth edges, and from the photos it looks like they do.

I love their tiles that aren\'t just pure water. I\'m going to have to use some of their ideas. Thanks for the link! I think my swamp tiles are going to be a lot cooler now!

Yeah, the main reason I haven\'t done this yet is that I don\'t have a good object to make the mold from. I have plenty of silicone, just nothing to pour it on.

You could try putting some gloss varnish on the edges of your tiles to smooth out the imperfections.

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm

ebrandeis wrote:

Posted this in the KS comments, but it probably belongs here:

How about a two stage mold process with 1/3 thickness in the core along with the graphics, 1/3 thickness in a top-side first pour, and 1/3 thickness in a bottom side second pour after the top-side fully cures? It\'s more work, but each tile is now twice as useful...

I could try it, but the epoxy likes to creep down the sides of the cork tiles and get under them a bit. This is fine because you still have a level tile in the end and my bottoms are always a messy paint job anyway, but if you\'re trying to preserve the bottom to be a flawless reflective surface, it would likely ruin that. :-(

Shadaraman wrote:

A good online source for cork squares is WidgetCo (yeah, it\'s a super descriptive name).

http://www.widgetco.com/cork

I ordered a whole bunch of 4\" square coasters to base some Hirst Arts pieces on, and they work great.

I know there\'s at least one thread on the HA forums with a technique similar to this. I\'ll see if I can dig it up for comparison.

With the monthly 40-50% off one item coupon Joanne\'s gives, it\'s still a better deal for me to get them in person at this point. However, that is a better base price than Joanne\'s, so it\'s good to have another source! Thank you!

Shadaraman wrote:

Shadaraman wrote:

I know there\'s at least one thread on the HA forums with a technique similar to this. I\'ll see if I can dig it up for comparison.

Found!

http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/6405#.UytUoK1dV1g

Pretty much the same basic idea. The actual instructions are on the second page of the thread.

Those are amazing! Their edges are so clean. O_O

Looks like they used an artist\'s block to make their mold form. I think this might be the reason why my edges suck. I used foam core, and the mold material picked up all the little divits present in the foam. They\'re tiny, but it would be nice to have perfectly smooth edges, and from the photos it looks like they do.

I love their tiles that aren\'t just pure water. I\'m going to have to use some of their ideas. Thanks for the link! I think my swamp tiles are going to be a lot cooler now!

Shadaraman
Orc
Orc

Post by Shadaraman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Shadaraman wrote:

Found!

http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/6405#.UytUoK1dV1g

Pretty much the same basic idea. The actual instructions are on the second page of the thread.

Shadaraman
Orc
Orc

Post by Shadaraman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 pm

ebrandeis wrote:

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. It\'s inspiring me to give it a go for myself. Of course, I\'m also dying to make up some inserts for my CoS pool.

Heh, so am I. I think I\'ll try the wax + poured resin trick this weekend, if I have time.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. It\'s inspiring me to give it a go for myself. Of course, I\'m also dying to make up some inserts for my CoS pool.

Shadaraman
Orc
Orc

Post by Shadaraman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:25 pm

A good online source for cork squares is WidgetCo (yeah, it\'s a super descriptive name).

http://www.widgetco.com/cork

I ordered a whole bunch of 4\" square coasters to base some Hirst Arts pieces on, and they work great.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Posted this in the KS comments, but it probably belongs here:

How about a two stage mold process with 1/3 thickness in the core along with the graphics, 1/3 thickness in a top-side first pour, and 1/3 thickness in a bottom side second pour after the top-side fully cures? It\'s more work, but each tile is now twice as useful...

galladril
Orc
Orc

Post by galladril » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Ill keep the floating in mind. Thanks!!!

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”