Painting the Pool in the Chamber of Sorrows

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Painting the Pool in the Chamber of Sorrows

Post by jackattack » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Make it a scrying pool by taking a picture of another (yet to be found) room (with minis) and putting that under the water.

The picture can be taken from any angle you like, and might be treated with various "special effects" filters.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Ok, so when I bought the Vallejo Still Water product from my local games shop I told the owner what I was going to do with it. He asked me to bring the works of my labour when I was done. So I did, the other day. He was blown away by them, especially the slime/acid pool (take your pick) as everyone seems to be. It really got us riffing off each other with other ideas... here they are:

1. The acid/slime pool filled with skeleton parts.
2. The blood pool filled with body parts.
3. Something coming out of the pool (which is an idea I already had).
4. A fountain with a statue in the middle and water pouring out.
5. A sacrificial alter in the middle of the blood pool.
6. Stand the pool upright and make it a portal to another world or part of the world (using the printed insert idea with a landscape picture, for instance)... it would be translucent purple with swirls.

So, of course I picked up some more inks (purple being one of them). I think I'll try the portal next while I find body/skeleton parts and the right sacrificial altar.

Chime in and give me your ideas or just to say which one you'd like to see next. :-)

Oh, and here's a quick test of the portal idea:

I might look at recasting the portal with bigger edge stones and a keystone at the top... with each stone having a rune carved into it (and maybe light up in sequence with some LEDs and a controller (or more simply just slowly fade in and out)... that'll be a more involved mod for down the road, though.
Attachments
portal_concept.jpg
portal_concept.jpg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

JasonYoung
Orc
Orc

Post by JasonYoung » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:13 am

And the tutorial totally paid off!

Well done! Both look great, but the acid pool really stands out as fantastic.

These will be super fun to experiment with... a half floating body in either would just be sick/cool.

If I had a Chamber I would be all over this.

lol

I'll figure something out eventually on that.

All my discipline is currently focused on waiting for the cavern KS.

Feymous
Orc
Orc

Post by Feymous » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:57 pm

@jchunick - The idea of inserts is brilliant, but the execution of the acid pool is downright magical!!!

Thanks for the detailed instructions and pictures. This has just been added to my ever growing list of DF projects :)

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:48 pm

kitenerd wrote:

that looks eerily fantastic.... your acid is alive!!!

:D Thanks!

It did turn out f*ing awesome, if I do say so myself. Actually, I was quite surprised since in my initial test (there's a pic several posts previous) the fluorescent paint did some completely different stuff and globbed up.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:43 pm

that looks eerily fantastic.... your acid is alive!!!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Acid green you say?... I just started this tonight :-)

Just to quickly go over what I did... I mixed several drops of the green ink with about 3-5 drops of the fluorescent green paint. Mix very thoroughly. Then I poured about half into the pool. After a few hours, when it was set a bit and thicker, I added 4 drops of the fluorescent green, spaced out, to the pool and gently swirled the drops around like how barristas make those fancy patterns in espressos... we'll see how well it keeps... although it's been a couple more hours and seems to be staying quite well... I should add that I was going to do a clear (or clearer) 2nd top coat so I can see the underlying patterns and also repeat the process of adding and swirling paint drops after it's set for a bit... I wanted to give a more 3D depth look. In hindsight I should have only mixed about half so I could make the second half a bit more transparent. Oh well, it's not too much waste to dilute it.
Attachments
inks_liquid_mixed.jpg
inks_liquid_mixed.jpg (102.83 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
green_pool_layer1.jpg
green_pool_layer1.jpg (123.39 KiB) Viewed 4354 times

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:12 pm

You my friend are a genius!

Awesome tutorial - i will not have time to attempt this for awhile, but i will definitely use this method, the results are tremendous. I will do at minimum safe clear blue water and electric acid green (i have the painted CoS for the blood red... but may add a clear layer just to make it even better).

Thank you for taking the time to clearly lay out your method so we can all benefit from your experience!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Let me know if you liked the tutorial and post any of your mods of the pool, please.

Thanks. ;-)
Attachments
pool_tut_16.jpg
pool_tut_16.jpg (147.64 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_15.jpg
pool_tut_15.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_14.jpg
pool_tut_14.jpg (121.58 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_13.jpg
pool_tut_13.jpg (131.77 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_12.jpg
pool_tut_12.jpg (115.08 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_11.jpg
pool_tut_11.jpg (136.38 KiB) Viewed 4348 times

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:19 pm

The Pool of Sorrows Water Insert Tutorial

1. Use kids' crayola crayons - in this case, red - to colour/cover the inside edge of the pool in red. I am not doing the bottom this time; it turns out I was correct and didn't need it.

2. Find a small container. Fill up the pool with water to the level you want and then pour that into the container or, if needed, into a larger container and then into the smaller container. Make a mark just above the water line with tape. This will be how much Vallejo Still Water liquid you will need.

3. Dump out the water from the container and dry it. Now, pour in the Vallejo Still Water until you reach your mark. If you feel you need a bit more then add some, it won't hurt.

4. Add less than a drop for a very translucent tint such as a aqua blue for normal water. For this one I added about 8 drops of Vallejo Red, then a drop of Vallejo Blue. This turned out to be too much and turned very dark (see pics) so I had to add another 12 drops of red. That was fine, in my case as I wanted it very opaque, like blood. Make sure to mix well.

5. Pour about 1/2 of it into the pool. This will help to level off the surface and help with even setting. One of my tests revealed that the centre indent in the pool was reflected in the surface when pouring the whole container of liquid at once. It will take at least 24 hours to set. Of course, make sure you have used a container with a lid or can cover it up so the rest of the liquid doesn't set as well.

6. Once it's set, pour the rest and let it finish setting over another 24 hours or more. After 24 hours you can test gently with your finger to see if it feels firm or gives like it's still liquid underneath.

7. As soon as it's set you can use a hairdryer to melt the wax around the edge. this will help pull the set liquid from the edge of the pool.

8. Now you can use an exacto knife or some other tool with a thin end to carefully pull up one edge (see pics).

9. Once you have enough of an edge up you can try flexing the pool to loosen it from the bottom and gently pull the lifted edge to release the rest of the set liquid (now plastic).

10. Once it's fully removed you should clean the wax from the edges of the pool with the hair dryer and paper towel or cloth.

11. Re-inserting it can be tricky, but if you find some way to mark the insert and pool to align them again, that would be the best solution. I haven't done that yet, but will later.

Attachments
pool_tut_10.jpg
pool_tut_10.jpg (139.92 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_09.jpg
pool_tut_09.jpg (136.3 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_08.jpg
pool_tut_08.jpg (98.3 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_07.jpg
pool_tut_07.jpg (100.29 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_06.jpg
pool_tut_06.jpg (117.44 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_05.jpg
pool_tut_05.jpg (122.54 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_04.jpg
pool_tut_04.jpg (118.33 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_03.jpg
pool_tut_03.jpg (107.99 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_02.jpg
pool_tut_02.jpg (111.29 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
pool_tut_01.jpg
pool_tut_01.jpg (148.6 KiB) Viewed 4348 times