Painting the Pool in the Chamber of Sorrows

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Painting the Pool in the Chamber of Sorrows

Post by jchunick » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Shadox wrote:

This idea gets another YOU ROCK THE FREE WORLD!!! I am going to steal your idea but I will use scenic railroads water effects. I have a big jug of the stuff from a project last year. Thanks for the idea.

-Shadox

Thanks!

... but I still have a long way to go from idea to conception ;-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Shadox
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Shadox » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:17 pm

This idea gets another YOU ROCK THE FREE WORLD!!! I am going to steal your idea but I will use scenic railroads water effects. I have a big jug of the stuff from a project last year. Thanks for the idea.

-Shadox

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:33 pm

I have another idea I think I'm going to try. I want to maybe add some floating body parts to a version of it. Maybe I'll try it in a version of the blood pool or the green slime pool. Maybe even showing someone trying to get out of the pool, all covered in slime like the pool is alive and pulling them down.

... anyways, if anyone has some ideas I'd be very interested in reading them.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:24 pm

@JasonYoung

Thanks! I'm still trying some changes with the next one - blood pool insert - due to the blue water insert having a small indentation in the middle which corresponded with the indentation in the middle of the DF tile pool.

@igelkott

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. If things turn out well then I might consider making and selling the inserts - the still water inserts with free printed inserts (since I don't own the rights to the tile graphics).

---------

With this next one - the blood pool insert - I'm documenting my steps so I'll have a full step-by-step writeup in a couple days when it's finished curing.

In the meantime, below is a photo of my tests. The purplish one was done with the red and black ink with a bit of blue. I added too much black and blue and ended up with the purple. The red came out about right, and that was by playing with very little blue ink.

The green sludge pool will was the most involved. It's done using a green ink along with a fluorescent green paint (both Vallejo). Half is laid down and then, when cured enough the other half is poured. I then added some more florescent green and used a toothpick to draw it across the top in patterns, sort of how barristas make fancy patterns in the foam of espressos. It really just coats the top. Then, after it's set for awhile I take the toothpick again and break up the surface covering... some of the paint falls off and down toward the bottom layer. What stays on top is broken into smaller islands of surface paint. I'm thinking of adding another colour to give it a bit more variety and mottling.
Attachments
tests.jpg
tests.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 4419 times

igelkott
Goblin
Goblin

Post by igelkott » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:15 pm

That looks much better than the paint inserts I made.

JasonYoung
Orc
Orc

Post by JasonYoung » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:55 am

Great job on the removable insert.

This is one piece I don't have that I certainly would like to have... and if I did have it... I'd like it to be modular in this way.

I look forward to a more complete tutorial with pics etc because I envision myself trying this wax method... and an hour later our world ending in chaos as the only option is some form of nuclear explosion to contain the madness.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:03 am

Here's my second attempt at adding a removable water insert to my Pool of Sorrows. The first attempt failed during curing - some sort of uneven drying occurred and created a void. In my first attempt I tried tinfoil, but that didn't work too well for me so my wife suggested using wax.

I ended up using a blue crayon from my kids' set and thoroughly applied it on the bottom and sides... making sure to stay within the lines as I was taught in kindergarten ;-)

It should be mentioned that I used Vallejo Still Water as that's what my local games store where I buy my stuff from carried. I also added a single drop of Vallejo blue ink to the liquid solution and mixed well before pouring it in.

Just to be sure it cured properly because it was poured fairly thick for the type of product used I let it set for about 36 hours instead of the recommended 24 hours.

Now, to the best part... once it was cured I simply took my wife's hairdryer and melted the wax on the highest setting. It visibly pulled away from the pool edges and I was able to flex the tile to loosen the bottom for it to come out. Next, I cleaned the pool and bottom of the water mold insert with soap and water. Lastly, I added my printed grating insert (posted previously) and then my water mold insert over it (see pics below). It should be noted that I needed to trim the printed grating insert a decent bit to get it to fit properly. I'll modify the file I posted later as well as post a more thorough guide with pictures as to my process.

The whole point of doing a removable insert was to create multiple inserts for a wide variety of scenes. I've done some small scale tests (thanks, Mythbusters!) for blood and a green, stagnant pool and will be updating with more pics of those.

Attachments
pool_with_water_and_grate_inserts2.jpg
pool_with_water_and_grate_inserts2.jpg (189.38 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
pool_with_water_and_grate_inserts.jpg
pool_with_water_and_grate_inserts.jpg (198.5 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
pool_with_grate_insert.jpg
pool_with_grate_insert.jpg (180.88 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
water_pool_insert.jpg
water_pool_insert.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 3967 times

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:46 am

postal_pirate wrote:

I just painted the bottom of the pool grey. Drilled a hole in the middle big enough to stick my finger through. Then I cut out several patterns that I printed on card stock, just under 3 inches (76mm) in diameter. And, voila, you have a pool, pit, gate, etc. No painting required.

I just made an insert with a stone pattern and grate in the middle. I've attached the image file if anyone wants to download it. I added a tab on the side so you don't have to drill out the bottom to push the insert out.

The image is created at 300ppi, nicely hi-res.

Credits:
repeating stone tile by DaceyRose-RPG on Deviantart
grate tile by Greytale
Attachments
pool_of_sorrows_stone_and_grate_insert.jpg
pool_of_sorrows_stone_and_grate_insert.jpg (447.16 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

Shadox
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Shadox » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:14 pm

This Idea of the changeable pool gets a

YOU ROCK THE FREE WORLD!!!!

Yes Shadox is back...

Frog
Orc
Orc

Post by Frog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:11 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:

It was my first time with Realistic Water and I think I put it on a little too thick, as there were a few bubbles I couldn't get rid of, but here it is:

Looks awesome!

I bet you could use that on the upcoming Caverns dwarvenite to make icey walls and floors to semi-replicate the Ice Caverns resin set!