Matching the resin caverns

Weltenlaeufer
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Matching the resin caverns

Post by Weltenlaeufer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:28 pm

This looks great! What a great paintjob! I gonna bookmark this and try to replicate it for the ks2 caverns! Thank you :)

Ninja
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ninja » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:27 pm

I am quite certain we have had a few members get hacked...
OR

They really want us to know about our options for "Enhancement"...

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Post by madrigalian » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Looks beautiful eikman!
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:05 pm

When you get a match you are happy with make a color card. Take a plain white note card and place a sample of your color on it. Make it about 2 inches square and put two coats on it. Then have your local paint store match it in quart size. I use a mid-range interior acrylic latex which I then thin with water. Durable and inexpensive. This works best when you have a great deal to paint.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:36 am

Nice job! Color matching is always difficult. Even using the Pokorny paints, getting the right mix and blend is sometimes a long process.
For your brown problem, Reaper makes a shade called Bone Shadow. I found that it is a very close match to the brown shade in the Den Of Evil sets. Maybe that and just a touch of ochre?
Anyway, it looks great as is.

eikman

Matching the resin caverns

Post by eikman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:37 am

I have a few sets of the Master Maze resin caverns. I like the colors on them: Simple but organic and muted. They work well as natural cave environments, though not for mines, and they don't steal the attention from your minis.

I'm trying to replicate the resin paint scheme on my unpainted Game Tiles. This was my first attempt:
3161.jpg
3161.jpg (422.77 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
3166.jpg
3166.jpg (310.11 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
Here is the procedure I've come up with. Everything is drybrushed with progressively smaller brushes. I don't clean the pieces first and I have barely tested durability.
  1. Vallejo Surface Primer US Olive Drab: Everywhere except shadows/cracks
  2. Vallejo Game Color Heavy Khaki: Focus on horizontal surfaces, especially floors, but not the tops of walls
  3. Vallejo Surface Primer German Green Brown: Stalactites, fungi, the tops of walls
  4. 50% GW Desert Yellow + 50% GW Snakebite Leather: Same areas as the above
  5. Vallejo Game Color Stonewall Grey: Highlights, exposed rock, light dusting on any surface
  6. Matt varnish; I plan to use satin/gloss on some areas, to show dampness
3173.jpg
3173.jpg (568.85 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
The results are OK. I've added a little variation of color to the floor tiles, to hide their uniformity. Other failures to match the resin are unintentional. I would appreciate your advice on that.
  1. Heavy Khaki is more saturated and more yellow than the main colour used on most of my Master Maze Caverns pieces. Is there a better paint?
  2. I'd like to find a paint for the lighter color on the stalactites, to use after I've mixed the last of the two old GW paints. Vallejo has 800 million shades of brown and my local stores don't carry enough of them; which one do I get?
  3. I would like to use an airbrush for the primer, to save time and because it won't stick right away when I brush it on, but I cannot make the coverage from an airbrush look sufficiently natural.
The Game Tiles pieces in the last pic above have been lightly modded with Kneadatite, for variation. I plan to use more putty and other tricks on the rest of my Game Tiles (three sets from KS + various extras) to improve the match by hiding some of the gaps in the floor pieces.
3167.jpg
3167.jpg (392.67 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
3170.jpg
3170.jpg (386.82 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
3172.jpg
3172.jpg (375.56 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
Always on the lookout for competent role-players in Gothenburg.

Return to “Game Tiles Collector Mods”