GREEN STUFF Mods to Dwarvenite

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: GREEN STUFF Mods to Dwarvenite

Post by GODofwar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Welcome to the underworld of the Trogs, Trollface.

Sounds like you will fit right in.

Thanks for the tip.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

Trollface
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Trollface » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 am

I use PJ, it just works much better than water. You don't need much, I usually just put a small dab on the back of my hand between thumb and forefinger. I then rub the metal tool periodically in the PJ. After the piece dries you can use a little alcohol to get it off. Not the good stuff, that's for later ;)
also if you are putting more greenstuff over a spot where you used PJ, make sure you have a little PJ on your fingers to mix in with the greenstuff while you are mixing it, it will adhere better. Found all this out lurking on the reaper sculpting forum over the years.

By the way, I just moded one of those silly roof platforms from city builder into a window. that was a great idea.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 pm

WELCOME to the Forum. Thanks for the tip. :)
I just found another tip recently about using petroleum jelly to help in sculpting, but the were doing small bits to add to a mini and had to use super glue to adhere the piece. Any tips other than water to help keep tools from sticking? I don't know how you could remove petroleum jelly prior to the G.S. drying. I guess you let it dry then wash off the (p. j.). Do you use it and what about painting after it (p. j.) has been on the sculpt.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Welcome to the forums Trollface

Trollface
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Trollface » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi William,
You have probably found the info already, but just in case;
Greenstuff and apoxie sculpt can be mixed. I like about a 70/30 mix for sculpting, but play with it and see
which texture works best for you. More apoxie sculpt will be "runnier" or more squishy. you can also mix in some fimo or sculpey (just a little) to extend the work life of the putty (slightly). There is some nice discussion of this on the reaper forum for sculpting.
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/ ... sculpting/

Cheers

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 am

William wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 pm
Thanks for the insight and info.

I used a bit last night as a cover for some fill in a few GW tree bases for heft and no problems with irritation. I did notice the consistency is a bit chalky compared to Greenstuff, more like Milliput than GS. The residue left on my fingers reminds me of Sculpy more than GS. I will need to use it more to see if I like it as much, so far, not so much. Seems sloppier to use. :?:

Any tips to help a new user of this product?
Yeah, I'd agree that it's very similar to milliput (which I've also used). I basically have a cup of water to dip my tools in and that helps.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks for the insight and info.

I used a bit last night as a cover for some fill in a few GW tree bases for heft and no problems with irritation. I did notice the consistency is a bit chalky compared to Greenstuff, more like Milliput than GS. The residue left on my fingers reminds me of Sculpy more than GS. I will need to use it more to see if I like it as much, so far, not so much. Seems sloppier to use. :?:

Any tips to help a new user of this product?

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Here is the MSDS - sounds pretty safe:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 8JQ5cOVk5p
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm

William wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 pm
I know it's been a while since I posted on this thread. Not so crafty these days, trying to get back into it.
I have a question for any sculptors out there.

I have used Greenstuff for quite a few years and never used gloves or anything to mix other than my fingers. This Christmas I received some Apoxie Sculpt and I noticed a few warnings that Greenstuff does not have on it. They are Hazard Statements about skin reaction and eye irritation. Have any of you who have used A.S. ever used anything other than your uncovered fingers to mix it? Any reactions or irritations? My constitution is typically high to these things, but want to make sure before I get into it too much.

Thanks for any insight.
I wanna use my fingers because I hate gloves.
Help :?:
I use Apoxie Sculpt instead of green stuff (too expensive from the hobby store in my area). I use it without gloves and I've never had a problem. Of course, I'm not using it all the time (infrequently, at best). I tend to clean my fingers/hands quickly afterward.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 pm

I know it's been a while since I posted on this thread. Not so crafty these days, trying to get back into it.
I have a question for any sculptors out there.

I have used Greenstuff for quite a few years and never used gloves or anything to mix other than my fingers. This Christmas I received some Apoxie Sculpt and I noticed a few warnings that Greenstuff does not have on it. They are Hazard Statements about skin reaction and eye irritation. Have any of you who have used A.S. ever used anything other than your uncovered fingers to mix it? Any reactions or irritations? My constitution is typically high to these things, but want to make sure before I get into it too much.

Thanks for any insight.
I wanna use my fingers because I hate gloves.
Help :?: