City builder additions

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Re: City builder additions

Post by Thunder » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:43 am

You can also use parchment paper glued onto those frames for a white-ish translucent look, kinda like the japanese rice paper walls/windows. You can get some parchment papers that are almost see through.

I would also imagine thick plastic film (like a ziploc baggie) cut up would look good glued into those frame.

If you are selling those window frames, I would buy some for sure. I like the roofs you are making as well but I suspect out of my price range. Send me a private message if you are interested in making and selling some of those frames.

Peace

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:30 am

oddbender wrote:Thanks Biowizard. And those roofs are very, very nice. Far more artistic than I would attempt.

As far as the glass goes, I actually printed those as well with translucent filament. I was thinking of just using different color transparency films, if such a thing still exists. The main reason I printed them is that I could get the same exact size each time (without repeated measuring and cutting). And I used a PLA filament which is non-toxic, so I can actually bake those after the fact and get an even better "glass" looking effect. I'm experimenting to attempt stained glass windows. So far air bubbles and warping when I bake them is the barrier. I'll post pictures of results, but right now I have limited colors of translucent filament, so it's a lower priority to other projects.
Last I checked United Art and Education still carried them, it looks like they still have something close. Be forewarned, that site can become a rabbit hole if you're feeling crafty. You can also use "Makit Bakit" beads for stained glass effects.

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:49 pm

Thanks Biowizard. And those roofs are very, very nice. Far more artistic than I would attempt.

As far as the glass goes, I actually printed those as well with translucent filament. I was thinking of just using different color transparency films, if such a thing still exists. The main reason I printed them is that I could get the same exact size each time (without repeated measuring and cutting). And I used a PLA filament which is non-toxic, so I can actually bake those after the fact and get an even better "glass" looking effect. I'm experimenting to attempt stained glass windows. So far air bubbles and warping when I bake them is the barrier. I'll post pictures of results, but right now I have limited colors of translucent filament, so it's a lower priority to other projects.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Welcome to the DF forum oddbender!

Your first DF post ever reminds me of mine (a few years back): viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6157&p=75741&hilit=roof#p75741

Could you specify the nature of the semi-transparent material you used to make the translucent "glass" of your windows and where you got it from?

Nice work.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:32 am

LordDust wrote:
oddbender wrote:Relating to the use of 3D printing, generally I agree with what you say. I have used it or plan to use it in all the ways you suggest. Personally, I love to experiment. I print something just to see the result and then I'll play around with it to see what I can get away with. I understand the desire to be results driven with every attempt, but I also find serendipity is the result of some half-baked ideas.

The temple/guildhall roof was a difficult print using lots of plastic and requiring a good bit of support (i.e. waste material). I don't recall exactly how long it took, but I'll guess it was close to 24 hours to print. That's one reason you see the other simpler designs are so much more numerous. Right now I'm working on a transition piece that will make those simple roofs look more interesting. Another experiment, we'll see how it goes. And someone asked about it, the temple roof is square. And the top is big enough to fit a large sized mini or a group of gargoyles perhaps.

Lastly, I do have kind of an onion/Kremlin roof design, but it's more round/hex shaped, and would go better with round walls that straight ones. Also I'm thinking it might be more difficult to print than the temple roof. I also have another spire type design, but I'm holding off until I can get some kind of circular tower that works with the city builder. I'm looking at you KS4. Otherwise I'll get around to it eventually.
The long printing, supports, and slightly pricey nature of filament or pellets is a very good reason to go with prototyping and then make a few molds. Given the undercuts and details I would think a three part mold would do the trick nicely for the roof in question, unless I'm mistaken about some of the details...

I get just wanting to experiment, nothing wrong with that at all. I tend to be a bit much of a binary style thinker at times, which can interfere some with creative efforts if one doesn't train oneself to avoid it when necessary.

My big peeve has been the print lines, which are getting to where I can overlook them finally. Where I think they really shine is the ability to create single piece articles with voids and undercuts in areas too complex for any practical casting method besides lost wax, which if I were good enough to do that at the detail we're talking about here at will I would be making far more money than I am now. A few things are even possible that can't even be achieved that way. Heck, they have printers that can add in conductive material so you can literally print a battery compartment into a base and have an internal space to insert an led. Such cool potential that is so close! Keep us updated on your experiments and crafts!
Yes, that's my biggest issue with 3D printing, which is why I'm mostly interested in the high priced printers that use laser or projected light to cure a bath of liquid resin solution.

I see that there are Kickstarters starting up and a lot of hobbyists starting to get printers to print out game tiles. I hear a lot of 'ooohs and ahhhs' over it, yet nobody seems to mention the lines. I see this as a major aesthetic issue that seems to be easily overlooked when you are in control of creating something that wouldn't be acceptable if it was a company like DF putting out stuff.

My main interests in using such a printer is in prototyping. As LordDust pointed out there are some huge benefits when you don't have to worry about undercuts and can do things like printing chain links or even conductive material - which also excites me a lot!

3D printing would be a real boon for me in designing often complicated pieces for the ideas we're coming up with for these Kickstarters.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:30 am

oddbender wrote:Relating to the use of 3D printing, generally I agree with what you say. I have used it or plan to use it in all the ways you suggest. Personally, I love to experiment. I print something just to see the result and then I'll play around with it to see what I can get away with. I understand the desire to be results driven with every attempt, but I also find serendipity is the result of some half-baked ideas.

The temple/guildhall roof was a difficult print using lots of plastic and requiring a good bit of support (i.e. waste material). I don't recall exactly how long it took, but I'll guess it was close to 24 hours to print. That's one reason you see the other simpler designs are so much more numerous. Right now I'm working on a transition piece that will make those simple roofs look more interesting. Another experiment, we'll see how it goes. And someone asked about it, the temple roof is square. And the top is big enough to fit a large sized mini or a group of gargoyles perhaps.

Lastly, I do have kind of an onion/Kremlin roof design, but it's more round/hex shaped, and would go better with round walls that straight ones. Also I'm thinking it might be more difficult to print than the temple roof. I also have another spire type design, but I'm holding off until I can get some kind of circular tower that works with the city builder. I'm looking at you KS4. Otherwise I'll get around to it eventually.
The long printing, supports, and slightly pricey nature of filament or pellets is a very good reason to go with prototyping and then make a few molds. Given the undercuts and details I would think a three part mold would do the trick nicely for the roof in question, unless I'm mistaken about some of the details...

I get just wanting to experiment, nothing wrong with that at all. I tend to be a bit much of a binary style thinker at times, which can interfere some with creative efforts if one doesn't train oneself to avoid it when necessary.

My big peeve has been the print lines, which are getting to where I can overlook them finally. Where I think they really shine is the ability to create single piece articles with voids and undercuts in areas too complex for any practical casting method besides lost wax, which if I were good enough to do that at the detail we're talking about here at will I would be making far more money than I am now. A few things are even possible that can't even be achieved that way. Heck, they have printers that can add in conductive material so you can literally print a battery compartment into a base and have an internal space to insert an led. Such cool potential that is so close! Keep us updated on your experiments and crafts!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:09 am

Eldest Offspring is now an engineering student at university. Youngest Offspring just started robotics in high schoool. Both have access to 3D printers without having to buy one - and both have some interest in using them.

Hmmmmmm.

Oddbender, great work. A few simple shapes can make huge differences in just the roofing. I am inspired!

Lazily, but inspired.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:00 am

moes1980 wrote:Very cool additions! Now I am curios to see a domed observatory roof with an arcane looking telescope sticking out of it.

Sort of like this now OOP MBA unit?
http://www.miniaturebuildingauthority.c ... ype=&scat=

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:39 am

Relating to the use of 3D printing, generally I agree with what you say. I have used it or plan to use it in all the ways you suggest. Personally, I love to experiment. I print something just to see the result and then I'll play around with it to see what I can get away with. I understand the desire to be results driven with every attempt, but I also find serendipity is the result of some half-baked ideas.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:45 pm

Nice ideas, I'm liking what I see! Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing! I've been holding off on 3D printers so far, but I am very nearly ready to knuckle down to selecting one and pulling the trigger. I've been waiting for all the incremental improvements in the tech to get it to where I can print minis and terrain and have them pass muster for me without an acetone bath. While it makes for a terribly long print cycle, I think they are nearing that point. While I doubt I will ever stop wanting to get terrain made by others a 3D printer will allow for a lot of cool things as several folks, you included, have demonstrated.

The best use in my opinion is for one of three things: prototyping for molds (whether scans of hand crafted or digitally sculpted), one offs that can't really justify mass production, and the kinds of things that can't be cast because of shape or details.